Home General
Options

The Army Field Band

Off topic I know but had to share.Had an opportunity to see the Army Field Band in concert May 11 at my grandsons high school. What a uplifting experience,musicianship, and a general feel good time.

Comments

• Options
    All the military bands are excellent.
  • Options
    @buflosab -- I had attended one of their performances some time ago. It was a wonderful experience; one of the things that causes your heart to swell with appreciation and patriotism. Thanks, Army Field Band!
  • Options
    I once knew a Gunners Mate who was still thrilled (after years, now) that back when he had been stationed at the Groton, CT USCG Academy, he had the experience of being a "Concert Cannoneer" for the 1812 Overture by Tschiakowsky (sp?)
  • Options
    The Army Field Band is excellent. I've been in the 145th Army Band for 31 years now. One of my favorite annual trainings was a two week trip to DC. We got to play concerts at the Pentagon and National Guard Bureau. But the best was getting to see several military bands including the Army Field Band. We're a good band but wow... they are amazing!
  • Options
    HOOAH!! Go Army!
  • Options
    @jfreedy, That is fantastic, good for you. I swear man I was almost reduced to tears listening to these great musicians and that's the truth. Thank you to you.
  • Options
    There are often Free Concerts of the Army band at West Point and one of the favorite numbers is the 1812 Overture with Howitzers doing the Gun Parts. It starts with the Anthem and I've never seen anyone stay seated except those in wheel chairs. They always ask the Veterans to stand and thank them. If you're close to the Point you should check them out. Also the Football schedule as seeing the full corp massed  to cheer, the Mule and it's rider galloping on the sidelines and the old Field Piece blasting to accentuate goals is unique.

• Options
    Pretty much the same for my experience last week,the band members came out to the lobby and encouraged the audience to ask questions, which I did. Great bunch of guys and gals.
  • Options
    @Woodsman -- Our band will be performing with West Point's and OU's marching bands on September 22 for the Army/Oklahoma game. It's a military appreciation half-time show. We did something similar a few years ago with just OU's band, but this one will be a much bigger event.

• Options
    @jfreedy I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I was in my High School Band and Later in a Senior Drum & Bugle Corp, great fun and travelling to new places.
  • Options
    I too was in a Drum and Bugle Corps back in 1987. We toured 28 states over the summer. One of the best experiences of my life. Star of Indiana. It was a corny circus theme. We placed 8th in the DCI World Championships. Here's a small sample of our 11 minute show. It was actually the opener. 

https://youtu.be/2hRVXLjFEiQ
  • Options
    This is great, I thought at one time about bringing up Drum Corps on TPL, but figured their wouldn't be much interest,wrong again. The first live music I heard as a kid was Drum Corps and I was hooked for life.We had competitions in Buffalo, went to Rochester, and even traveled to Canada for competitions. My favorites from those day were The Skylines from NYC and The Hawthorn Caballeros from New Jersey. @Kmhartle, I believe I saw Star of Indiana in competition in Clearwater, Fla in the 80s, we used to have Corps come and compete because we had Suncoast Sound for awhile. Sad to say they are no more.We get a competition here in central Fla once a year and of course we go. Drum Corps has changed quite a bit and in some cases not for the good in my opinion, lot of drama,some signing,and introduction of new instruments. Don't get me wrong these kids are incredible with all the hard work and dedication they have to put forth in order to compete. Just wish it go back to a time when at least you competed. Got to go with the times I guess. The Blue Devils won DCI in 2017, I believe the 11th time in their existence.@Woodsman,I would like to hear the senior Corps you were in? Be interested in any comments,glad to see their there are some Drum Corps freaks out there.
  • Options
    @Kmhartle — you guys were great. Barnum & Bailey’s is a tough march. Most circus marches are tough... especially at that tempo (which is the typical circus march speed). 
  • Options
    @Kmhartle Nice! That's a big Corp with big sound, impressive.
  • Options
    @buflosab. Heck, we may have attended some of the same shows. I've been to Buffalo and Rochester to see shows throughout my school years. (I grew up near Olean, NY). I was sad to hear Suncoast Sound folded. We competed with them when I was with Star.

Star was a unique corps.  One that has also gone by the wayside. They competed for 9 years, placing in the top 12 each year. They won the world championship in 1991.  Unfortunately, I had aged out and wasn't a part of that. They hired a lot of Garfield Cadet staff that year and it shows. I've included minute and a half clip of 1991 Star to show how much they had advanced with both music and drill.  After the corps stopped field competition, they formed Blast which won a few Broadway awards. Basically drum corps for a theater setting. 

A lot of great corps have come and gone.  One of my favorites that "hooked" me was the Bridgemen from Bayonne, NJ.  I agree with you that drum corps has changed, not necessarily for the better. I'm old school and am against any type of electronics or amplification on the field.

Oh well, I guess I'm just a die hard drum corps curmudgeon.  

https://youtu.be/TGybginT6qU
  • Options
    @jfreedy. Thanks. I was in good shape by the end of that summer! The entire show was pretty fast paced. After the Barnum and Bailey March, we went into Ritual Fire Dance, Sabre Dance and closed with Thunder and Blazes. I'd love to see any videos of the 145th Army Band. 
  • Options
    @Kmhartle, Thanks for replying and for the video.I know that Star was getting a lot of heat from some of the Drum Corps world because Star had a big corporate sponsorship adding to their meteoric rise.If true I didn't have a problem with that.I say more of it. Lack of funds and a permanent place to practice added to the demise of Suncoast Sound. As was stated many times Sound was the best kept secret in Pinellas County. Any way back to Star, I don't know if the above statements are true,just what I heard and read. I have seen The Bridgemen a few times,great Corps.Also saw Garfield a few times when they came to compete in Clearwater,FLA. I think my favorite piece of music was West Side Story. I think they still exist today in one form or another. One corps that stood out for me was Madison Scouts,dam what a horn line they had.Anyway maybe at some point Drum Corps will complete the circle and come back to what was. One positive I've noticed over the years is a lot of high school and college bands seem to have incorporated a lot of Drum Corps style and visual in their approach. Thanks for listening and great talking to you.