Home Tobacco Talk
Options

CAN'T STOP!!!!!!

Kind of been getting fussed at by my better half for continuing to buy tobacco and want more pipes.  I can't stop wanting more.  I have a decent cellar now but want so much more to try.  Anybody else have what apparently is called PAD? 

Comments

• Options
    My name is Steve and I am a tobaccoholic 
  • Options
    You and your "better half" need to sit down and decide how you will spend your money. Housing, food, clothing, insurance, fun etc. As long as you are only spending your fun money on tobacco, or comic books, or whatever you choose, the problem will go away. I spend most of my fun money on pipe related stuff and my wife spends hers on quilting stuff. My Dunhill cost me several months fun money. Her new sewing machine cost her even more than my Dunhill. 
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @Winton.  It's not a problem as you say.  I'm a father of three boys who i provide for to the fullest extent.  I have my house in order.  Bills always paid first.  Just all my "fun" money i spend on tobacco and nothing else.  It was a fun post not that i have an issue with my bills.  Totally of context. 
  • Options
    PAD = Pipe Acquisition Disorder
    TAD = Tobacco Acquisition Disorder
    CAD = Cigar Acquisition Disorder

I'm an old guy approaching semi-retirement on my third career because of changes in the marketplace. My problem is my own self-control. I have a pragmatic side which stops me from spending all my "fun" money on anything. I have approximately 12 lbs of tobacco in my "cellar" and that doesn't count the 2 lbs. I have open for smoking. I If I stopped buying completely, I probably have enough to last for maybe 5 or 6 years at the rate that I smoke. Maybe even longer. 

I have my TAD under control to the point that for the past 6 months, I have only purchased one or two tins to support the local B&M that hosts our pipe club meetings every month. (Except for our meeting on Thursday when I dropped a $100 on McClelland blends.)

As for PAD, it's not my fault my wife keeps finding good estate pipes in antique/collectible shops. She already has plans for us to attend an antique street fair later this month and an antique fair next month.

• Options
    mseddonmseddon Professor
    I admit that I am powerless to overcome my compulsion to purchase more tobacco.
  • Options
    ocpunk714ocpunk714 Master
    edited March 2018
    I already broke the oath I took not to buy anything for awhile. Adding a Dagner to my collection. The struggle is real  :#
  • Options
    Been receiving so many packages lately that I forgot I ordered this from The Pipe Nook. :D

• Options
    It is hard to control sometimes. I was looking at SPC the other day and started adding things to the cart. Then I remembered I have to buy grass seed and fertilizer this weekend, and had to put it to my wish list. Then I saw the Dagner St. Patrick’s Day pipe and still have that itch to get it!
  • Options
    As I've said elsewhere I'm smoking from my cellar now and should have 5 Years worth or more which should suffice. 

Before you buy large amounts of tobacco try to determine your use per year. If you smoke a total of 2 pounds a year, break it down to tins and pouches vs. canisters and pounds and order accordingly, keep in mind that tastes may change. 
  • Options
    I have the same issue here. I’m using my own “fun money” but it bothers my wife that I use it to buy pipe tobacco.  It’s a health concern in her eyes and that’s why it bothers her.  Before I got into smoking pipes I would quickly spend the same amount of money on various other things without a peep from her. 
  • Options
    ocpunk714ocpunk714 Master
    edited March 2018
    Double down cause I gots to have something new for the Dag. Lol. Bought 2 tins of Mind Meld Lat & 1 SPC Seattle Evening. Lord help me.

My girlfriend thankfully doesn’t have any control of my finances. I’d live in a house built of leggings and other crap from this company called LulaRoe.  :D

• Options
    With my fun money usually goes to pipes and tobacco. But spending more than I should found easier to hide the tobacco vs spluring on a new pipe from the wife.