Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Best Blend With Your Morning Joe?

Classic Burley Kake is quickly moving to be my favorite smoke with a cup of coffee. What are some other good blends I should seek out?

Comments

• Options
    I was smoking Erinmore Flake with my coffee this morning and it was pretty good. 
  • Options
    tomatobodhitomatobodhi Apprentice
    If I want something with some N in it, I enjoy C&D Night Train or Pegasus (an oft-overlooked blend, imho) or Old Joe Krantz with some black coffee. If it is too hot for that outside (where I am exiled for smoking *at present* ... Hope springs eternal, right?), I enjoy a bowl of HH Old Dark Fired with my cuppa Joe. If I am in the mood for something with less kick, I like some cream and sugar in the coffee and a bowl of Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky or (even lighter and sweeter) some Orlik Club Mixture. I think the Club Mix is just *made* for coffee drinking. If you really like a sweet and syrupy blend (but one that smokes cool and even), I like a bowl of East India Trading Company's Officer's Club; if you open a tin and it looks like goop, don't be afraid! It smokes infinitely dryer and cooler than it looks like it will.

Hey, no accounting for taste, though! That is just "my cup of tea... Er, coffee."
  • Options
    @tomatobodhi that's good to know. I have some Club Mix and Officers Club in the cellar, I'll have to give them a shot.
  • Options
    dcollardcollar Newcomer
    I have been smoking Seattle Pipe Club's "Potlatch" with my cup of joe in the AM. Only problem I run into is that it's hard to stop with just one helping. I'm late for work often......
  • Options
    KirbybKirbyb Newcomer
    This month it has been McClelland Navy Cavendish. Last month it was 2015. The month before that it was Luxury Navy Flake. September I may jump back to Early Morning Pipe.
    Coffee and tobacco is a marriage made in heaven
  • Options
    I have some 2015 in a mason jar. I may have to break it open for some morning "bean & leaf." Hadn't thought of that. Thanks, @kirbyb
  • Options
    Green Dragon from The Country Squire in Jackson Mississippi

From the site: Bring home the warmth and spirit of The Shire's coziest inn! Green Dragon, a blend of ripe air-cured and rich flue-cured Virginia tobaccos, is as smooth as it is easy to smoke. The richness of the blend is accented by noticeable grass, hay, and natural sugars. A treat for you pallet and your companions!

I won't smoke anything else in the morning.
  • Options
    I smoke C&D's Bayou Morning when I have a morning pipe. It's a nice VaPer blend to get you started for the day.
  • Options
    Looking over this older post. I love D & R Tobaccos TAPS VIP blend. It is a sweet and spicy (think cinnamon, not pepper) mix that goes well with coffee and a little kick to get the day started.
  • Options
    wbradkwbradk Apprentice
    Currently I am enjoying The Country Squire's Second Breakfast in the mornings.  I am going through an aromatic kick these days.  Pleasant and relaxing.
  • Options
    I usually like a bowl of Capt Earl's 10 Russians with my morning cup though Star of the East or Comoy's Cask 11 are sometimes a substitute. 
  • Options
    First off, i love that this thread was started. I’m of the opinion that black coffee is THE drink of choice for tobacco pairing. I have a broad palate for morning smokes. Some days i love a vanilla aromatic, i love second breakfast from the country squire which features maple as well. But other mornings an English blend does the trick perfectly, preferably a lighter English, maybe northwest treck from the country squire, frog Morton, or early morning pipe
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited October 2018
    @TaylorJDutton

I agree with you about coffee and a pipe.

(Except when I want two fingers of rum with my pipe....) :D

• Options
    Did have a shipmate who didn't keep sugar in the house for his coffee. He always used a tablespoon of some sort of brandy or other.
  • Options
    A little off topic but.... while I was in the Navy my partner ( the ultimate caffeine junky) in the aft missile work center of the ship we were on  would put new coffee over the grounds of those from the last pot from the day before, he would then go around and grab all the partial cups he had left around the day before and pour them into the reservoir of the Mr. coffee machine and top it off with water. Though I never tasted it, as I considered it suicide, I used to watch him shake; after a couple of months of doing this he started to put rum in it to take the edge off, and amazingly he never got caught for imbibing on board the ship.
    He was a nut but I have to say we had the best times in ports of call.