Home General
Options

No reservations

Does anybody love to cook? I am very fanatical when it comes to home style meals.

Comments

• Options
    The big question is, what are you smoking while cooking?
  • Options
    Can’t smoke inside. Lol. Probably gonna have a bowl of Voodoo Queen after in my Peterson Bulldog.

• Options
    I love cooking. My wife loves that I love cooking. LOL. 
  • Options
    Started cooking when I was around 9 or 10 years old. Even wrote a cooking column for a weekly paper for about a year. 
    Only thing I haven't learned is the fancy restaurant style plating because I'm more of a serve yourself kinda guy.
    Our oldest son is an Executive Chef. He is currently employed at the University of East Tennessee State.
  • Options
    Learned to cook at an early age.  Growing up in a Sicilian family, everyone learned how to cook.
  • Options
    I have some spectacular recipes for the wok...... Want some?
  • Options
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited February 2018
    @ocpunk714 -- These are the two recipes we make most often

Chicken with hot pepper   WOK

3 Tbs. soy sauce

1 Tbs. cornstarch

2 large chicken breasts, skinned, boned , cubed

1 Tbs. cooking sherry or rice mirin (I prefer the sherry....)

2 tsp. sugar (work something out....)

1 tsp. rice vinegar (NOT wine vinegar)

peanut oil

1 tsp. hot red pepper flakes

1/3 cup sliced green onions or diced onions

1/2 tsp. powdered ginger -or- 1 tsp. freshly ground ginger

rice

Instructions

Mix 1 Tbs. soy sauce with cornstarch and chicken. Set aside.

Mix 2 Tbs. soy sauce with cooking sherry, sugar, and rice vinegar. Set aside.

Add peanut oil to hot wok. 

Fry the red pepper until black. Seriously. 

And you'll want an kitchenexhaust fan running or open windows.

When red pepper is black (not brown, but black) add the chicken, soy, cornstarch mixture. 

Stir fry until chicken is nearly opaque.

Add onions, ginger, soy sauce, cooking sherry, sugar, and rice vinegar mixture.

Mix well and cook a few minutes until sauce thickens.

Serve with rice.

Chicken with basil / "Ashtray Chicken" (You'll see why when you make the sauce)    WOK

1 small can finely chopped green chiles

2 Tbs. soy sauce

1 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. white vinegar

2 Tbs. dried basil -or- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil

1 tsp. chopped fresh mint -or- 1/4 tsp. dried mint

1/2 tsp. cornstarch

3 Tbs. peanut oil

3 cloves of garlic, minced

2 large chicken breasts, boned, skinned, cubed or cut in 1/4 inch strips

1 large onion cut in 1/4 inch slices

Instructions

Mix together the chiles, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, basil, mint, and cornstarch. 

Set aside. (Looks awful). 

Heat wok. Add peanut oil. Add garlic and chicken and stir fry until nearly opaque. 

Add onion and continue until chicken is entirely opaque. 

Add disgusting sauce mixture and cook another couple of minutes until sauce thickens. 

Serve with rice.

• Options

Man, this thread sucks! Being an OTR truck driver, I rarely get a quality meal anymore. Even restaurants like Golden Corral and Ryans dabble in poor quality food nowdays to make a profit.

Every once in awhile though, I get to eat like a king, like when I have time to stop at Soulman's BBQ out in Texas.

• Options
    My fiance and I cook all the time, she cooks more of the Korean style foods while I'm more of the "worldly" cook... I like to make all sorts of things.
  • Options
    ocpunk714ocpunk714 Master
    edited February 2018
    My favorite style of food is Cajun/Creole. I would love to visit Louisiana specifically if I was able to travel.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited February 2018
    Oh, favorite food?

Skyline (Cincinnati-style chili)

I have a "close but no cigar" recipe for that, too. Not as good as the real thing, but I live in NJ and you can only get Skyline in Cleveland and Cincinnati.
  • Options
    @motie2, Is Skyline better than Camp Washington? I have always wanted to feast on some of that Cincinnati chili that they are so famous for!
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited February 2018
    @xDutchx -- There are four versions of the Lambrinides Greek chili recipe: Camp Washington, Skyline, Gold Star, and Empress. I was an Empress devotee until Skyline built a restaurant just off campus. One time before we were married, SWMBO had to go back to classes a week before I did, so we both went back when she had to go, and I had to fend for myself for a week: my dorm was open, but no meals. So I ate at Skyline twice a day most days for seven days. But then, you'd expect that from a guy who basically smokes only one blend. And yes, Skyline is better than Camp Washington IMHO.
  • Options
    I enjoy cooking, when my wife and I worked, whoever got home first started cooking, some of our creations are still family favorites.
  • Options
    Being from Texas originally, I will refrain from commenting on "northern" chili or the concoctions people claim is chili. LOL

• Options
    Go4BrokeGo4Broke Enthusiast
    @Oddjob27 you better watch what you say...You may wind up opening your front door one day and see me on the doorstep begging for some Korean food.  When living out there I used to get Sundubu Jigae at least once a week!  Probably the one food I miss the most.
  • Options
    @Go4Broke Ill leave the door open ;)
  • Options
    Great thread. Being Italian & Sicilian, you start cooking young. For us food is a full experience not just a meal.  I consider myself a pretend chef and learned to cook a variety of styles not just Italian. I love to cook however, I don't bake. There is a big difference. St. Patrick's day is coming up and I will prepare a huge feast in celebration. Attached is an example of an Irish dish I may make. This is an Irish burger made with Guinness gravy, Yukon Gold mashers and country greens. This is pure comfort food!

• Options
    Another Mediterranean favorite is grilled octopus salad. So yummie.

• Options
    Lastly, I am famously known for my Eggplant Parmesan for some reason. Every time guest come they request this dish. I'm pretty sick of making it to be honest but it's my most popular. I do everything from scratch. Grow my own herbs, get veggies from my local farm and squash my own Roma tomatoes to make "The Sauce".  I make the sauce in large quantities and can them to save cooking time since making this alone can be a half day affair. Here is a sample from a guest we had a couple weeks ago so again, I had to make it. Of course wine is a must. 

• Options
    edited March 2018
    @Londy3 That all looks fantastic! I can’t bake for shyt myself. Lol.
  • Options
    @xDutchx. Iron Skillets are near many truck stops and and have truck parking. The food is pretty good at the ones I stopped at.
  • Options

Chicken with Broccoli and vegetables.
  • Options
    You know, we're coming to it late, but all the young folk have been taking pictures of their meals and posting them online for a while now. So I guess we are hip? Cool? 
  • Options
    Ha! Yeah, I've been taking pictures of my food for years...thou tho I was the weird one. ...um, well... :#
  • Options
    I'm with Londy3, I've been taking pictures of what I cook for a long time. Part of that is because of work. If I can't find the right piece of art to go with an ad, I photograph it myself.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Me looking in my fridge right now as I see those pics @PappyJoe