Home Tobacco Talk
Options

First McClelland experience?

In memory of mcclelland, what was everyones first experience with their tobacco? the first thing i ever smoked in a pipe was frog morton.  it was delicious and i instantly knew i was going to be a pipe smoker.  my wife bought it for me as a gift along with a brigham one dot pipe. we drove out to saratoga springs new york and as we walked through the park downtown i gave pipe smoking my first shot,  I failed at smoking, and it took a few times to figure out how to pack the pipe, but it gave her a good laugh.  Mcclelland will always be my favorite brand of pipe tobacco.  i just purchased 3 100g tins of frog morton cellar to add what i already have in my cellar, and i am hoping to make it last as long as i can.  

any other mcclelland firsts from anyone?

Comments

• Options
    WoobieWoobie Enthusiast
    I was in the southern part of Indiana for work one day last March, and decided before taking the 2 1/2 hour trip back home, I would stop at a wildlife area I used to hunt for squirrels as a kid. A very dear friend of mine, the man who had been my pastor all growing up and mentored me in the faith and the beginning my own ministry, was dying. I thought I should like to find a seat in a quiet wood and think on things. I had only been smoking a pipe for a couple of months, and my brother had given me a couple of ziploc bag samples to try, and one of those went into my pocket, along with a nice little Stanwell I had picked up at an antique shop for $6. I set off into a part of the woods I hadn't explored before, and found a cave, several natural springs, the first buds of spring and a lazy little creek. I sat down on a log along that creek and enjoyed a bowl of rich, leathery, earthy fragrant and complex tobacco. It was marvelous. After a while I made my way back to the car. On the way home, I got the call that the most honorable, loving, wise and godly man I had ever known had passed out of this life.

The tobacco in the bowl that day was Legends.
  • Options
    @Woobie — Awesome! Your 1st experience trumps mine. 

My my first McClelland bowl was Frog Morton’s Cellar. I smoked it on my back porch and was forever ruined. It’s been my #1 ever since. 
  • Options
    WoobieWoobie Enthusiast
    @jfreedy I was thankful for the experience. I might have tried a McC blend before that, but that was the one that made the first impression. In fact, that will probably always be one of the most important smokes I'll ever have.

Frogmorton Cellar is so good. It isn't hard to see how that could be a favorite.
  • Options
    Haven't had the pleasure of having any yet.  Just ordered some Frog Morton Bayou today.  
  • Options
    I remember when I first had frog Morton, I was working for a tobbaconist at the time. It was such a memorable smoke since it was the first time I got the pipe cadence and no gurgling. With out McCelland I would not be a pipe smoker.
  • Options
    My first McClelland tin was Frog Morton Across the Pond. It was one of my first experiences with an English, and it was a great introduction. I never bought another tin of it, though, as I thought I'd try the other FM's first and focus on a favorite. I moved onto On the Bayou, and that ended up being a favorite of mine. The only ones I haven't tried are Cellar (which is currently unopened in my cellar) and the original. I'm not sure I'll ever get to the original, as I'd rather pick up another tin of OTB.
  • Options
    WoobieWoobie Enthusiast
    The original FM I have was kind of a Lat bomb. But I've heard a lot of great things about it. So it is in timeout right now until it can learn to behave better. 

I love Latakia, but I have to taste the other components too.
  • Options
    The first McClelland blend I tried was also Frog Morton and now 5 years later  it's still one of my Gotos .
  • Options
    WoobieWoobie Enthusiast
    @ChaplainCorey "peace be on his name, may his tribe increase."

That garnered a literal lol from me. But any man who introduces you to those three is a fine American, gentleman, scholar, handsome and excellent NCO
  • Options
    I can't remember what my first McClelland blend was but I do like the Frogs and always buy Holiday Season and Christmas Cheer.
  • Options
    Thinking back, I once went into a Tinder Box out here. Being a new pipe smoker, I didn't know anything and I asked him for something "sweet" but not aromatic. He gave me a McClelland blend. I took it home and I remember I took a smell of it. Ketchup is all I smelled. I was a bit turned off by it, because I'm not much a ketchup person in general. Haha. I smoked it, enjoyed it, but in my mind i kept thinking "I'm smoking ketchup." Haha. YEARS later here I am, as an active pipe smoker, I have all the Frog Mortons in my cellar... but I've never tried any Frog Morton haha. To crack one open or to not...
  • Options
    An experienced pipe smokertook me to a local brick and mortar about 10 years ago. I had smoked a pipe for some years off and on but it was OTC stuff .i have never had premium tobacco except in a cigar. He told me to try the Frog Morton series and they had all of them except Cellar which I do not think had been released yet. I could be wrong about that but I went with on the Bayou. I loved the tin art and my kids are half Cajun so I had some interest points that drew me to this blend. I fell in Love and because it was my first premium.I immediately raised it to the greatest tobacco ever. Haha! Later I discovered Pezance, Escudo, My Mixture 965, Quiet Nights,......and a host of others I like better but On the Bayou was like the first girl i ever kissed. She will always be the first and she will always be special. I will most certainly miss her.
  • Options
    @Oddjob27 --I say go for it. Life is short. I found 2 tins of FM Across the Pond after It went out of production and was tempted to not open them because of their value. The guys here at TPL suggested I open one and keep the other unopened. So glad I did. All the FMs are excellent yet very similar. 
  • Options
    ocpunk714ocpunk714 Master
    edited March 2018
    Smoking Frog Morton on the Bayou in the atrium. Weather is beautiful today. Sunshine, birds singing. No wind, rain or gloom like things have been lately. Beautiful smoke!

The unveiling earlier....
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kywRy2ROYp8
  • Options
    I can't remember which blend was my first. But one of my favorites is their Baclava aromatic.
  • Options
     Just tried Frog Morton on the  Bayou. Not bad.  First non aro I've had. 
  • Options
    WoobieWoobie Enthusiast
    I hope it's good. My brother and I have 300g on the way. It seems like it would be just my sort of tobacco. Figured we might as well act fast.
  • Options
    Love all of this feedback. McClelland will be dearly missed. Just ordered an additional on the bayou and original FM. I couldn’t pass them up once i saw that cellar and on the town we’re sold out already on smoking pipes. I won’t regret spending th $40. I’m sure of it
  • Options
    WoobieWoobie Enthusiast
    Heading down to the Briar and Burley in Bloomington, IN today, Lord willing. I walked in there in a hurry (wife was circling the block so we didn't have to park) one time, because I just had to see the place. Anyway, he's the guy that put me on to Brindle Flake. If I only ever get to smoke that one tin he sold me, I'll still be forever grateful. The perfect VA Flake. Here's hoping he's got one in his shop waiting on me!
  • Options
    ocpunk714ocpunk714 Master
    edited March 2018
    FM on the Bayou is super bomb! Spent part of my day just smoking on that yesterday. I think I’ll try Frog Morton today and maybe some Cellar.