Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Flake Tobacco Help

jclaydevjclaydev Newcomer
edited February 2018 in Tobacco Talk
I need some help with my flake tobacco. I’ve been smoking a pipe for several years now but have only smoked ribbon cut tobaccos. Tonight I had a flake cut for the first time. I folded it and stuffed it and it was packed in there pretty tight. I found the experience was completely different. Is it just me or is it a bit more challenging to keep lit and tamp? Did I pack it so tight that it was more difficult to do those things? The tobacco was excellent just a new process to learn, I suppose. What’s your guys’ advice? 

Comments

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited February 2018
    EDIT 2-11-18    Whoops, sorry, lost my mind and answered "plug tobacco" when the question was "flake."

Plug Tobacco from The Pipeman's Handbook (attached for your downloading pleasure)

<<Most of the UK plugs and bars are so dense, it's difficult enough to cut them with a knife, much less light them. Inserting them whole is out of the question. I usually cut off a slice with a very sharp knife, cut that slice into tiny cubes or squares and then rub it out as much as possible. Even then it's somewhat hard to ignite..... Plugs require a sturdy, thick blade knife with a very sharp edge. Use the knife to cut across the grain to produces slices, AKA flakes, to your desired thickness. I prefer them thinner than an 1/8 of an inch. Once you have them cut you place the flakes between your palms and rub them out. This will provide you with a very smokable consistency. Fore ropes I use an exacto razor. I cut the rope into thin curlicues (coins about the same thickness as Escudo) that I either smoke as is or rub out to a finer consistency...... While cutting along the grain seems to make logical sense in terms of sheer effort expended, what you'll get is a sheet that may or may not rub out depending on how dry the plug is. Gotta cut across it, which means you need something really sharp..... Personally, although it's hard to do and sometimes a pain, I *like* cutting the plug by hand. It's part of the ritual for me. However, at one time when I was not feeling like doing the cutting for an awfully long time, I found that the "slices" blade of one of those grater things worked pretty well. I'm sure you could find one with a nice sharp blade (ginsu would be cheap and low maintenance) and an adjustable thickness that would do the job on most plugs. Some of them are pretty darn hard though, so you might still end up needing to use a strong, sharp knife (pocket knives are not a good idea as they often can't handle the pressure, and the blade just snaps off). >>

• Options
    @jclaydev I'm a big fan of flake tobacco, and while I've used the fold and stuff method, I usually rub the flake out into a ribbon cut. I'd suggest rubbing the flake out, as it's just easier for lighting. Maybe try folding, stuffing, and then taking part of another flake, and crumble a bit of it to use as the top layer for lighting.
  • Options
    I smoke flakes but, I shred them and rub them till they're "Fuzzy". that cuts down on relights and gives me a smoother, sweet smoke. I never tried Cube Cut, I've heard they're a little harder to get lit but smoke well after that.
  • Options
    I fold and stuff - but I have a bit of rubbed out for the top of the bowl.
  • Options
    For me, it depends on the pipe. I have a couple of pipes with tall, narrow bowls and I find they smoke flakes the best when they are folded once and then rolled. Like @judandhispipe I put a bit of the rubbed out tobacco on top as kindling. When I decided to smoke flake tobacco in wider bowls, I tend to rub it out first.

In my experience, it also helps to let the flake tobacco air dry for 15 or 20 minutes before smoking.
  • Options

All flakes are not created equal. For instance, G.L. Pease Sixpence is a loose flake, while Sam Gawith Best Brown and Full Virginia Flake are very tightly pressed. When drying Sam Gawith flakes, I will leave the tobacco sitting out for an extended period of time. Then after smoking half the bowl, I may leave the pipe resting for a couple days, before I finish it. The reason is that the same tight flake tobacco that was harder to dry out to begin with, will absorb more moisture from the burning tobacco above it. Much more so than a loose flake like Sixpence or MacBaren Navy flake.

In addition, the pipe you choose to smoke flake tobacco in, can contribute to additional tongue bite. A meerschaum by it's very nature, will pass most of the moisture from the smoke stream straight down the stem. Where as, a cob or briar can absorb some of the moisture from the smoke stream.

Flake tobacco was originally conceived, in order to allow more tobacco to be shipped in cargo holds. While it does provide tons of flavor, that many pipe smokers enjoy, it also provides additional challenges over ribbon cut tobacco. You simply have to get to know your tobacco and pipe pairings better, and learn how to dry your tobacco to a "just right," state.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited February 2018
    The Pipeman's Handbook has ten pages on flake tobaccos, answering the following questions:

What kinds of tobaccos typically come in flake form? 

How should I approach flake tobacco?

What does "rubbing out" mean?

Why would I want to rub flakes out?

Contrariwise, why would I keep the flakes intact?

Is rubbing out all-or-nothing?

If I don't rub, how do I pack flakes into my pipe?

Do environmental factors affect whether I should rub out or not? 

Are some tobaccos made to be smoked unrubbed?

Does one rub out ropes and plugs as well?

You'll find the Pipeman's Handbook, free for downloading as a .pdf, below:

• Options
    @Woodsman -- You are welcome, sir.
  • Options
    I enjoyed a bowl on a Saturday afternoon. I rubbed it out and went from there smoothly.