Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

P&C has Mac Baren Old Dark Fired on sale for $2.05 per oz. for over 4 oz.

Comments

• Options
    @Woodsman - Have you ever smoked Mac Baren Old Dark Fired?  I personally have not and am not familiar with it.  Have been thinking about purchasing some to try but not sure what to expect from it.
  • Options
    http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/5214/mac-baren-hh-old-dark-fired

<<A bold flake of dark-fired burleys in a well balanced unity with flue cured Virginias. This flake is hot pressed, meaning that during the pressing, heat is added by steam to the tobaccos which causes the tobacco to intensify the marrying process giving us a bolder tobacco. The robust, earthly flavour of the dark-fired burleys shines through in the taste, and you will experience a deeply satisfying smoke indeed.

Notes: One of the most fascinating parts about this tobacco that will be sure to confuse a lot of American pipe smokers is that, despite the fact that HH Old Dark Fired contains zero latakia, Mac Baren still considers it an English because of the method used in its production, specifically the steam press.>>

Review by the legendary JimInks:

<<It's a little closer to medium than strong in regard to strength and taste, but I think it depends on how used to strong tobaccos you are. Earthy, nutty Burleys and earthy, very mildly dark fruit sweet Virginias work in darn near perfect harmony, and you can taste both in every single puff. There's a natural sweetness that was enhanced by being steam pressed: mild nuttiness, tart and/or slightly sour and tangy at times, with a bit of earth, wood and smoky quality as well as a bit of spice from the dark fired Kentucky. There's very slight vinegar hit from the binder. The complexity works to its advantage. I didn't really get the fruit strength some have noted. There may be some flakes that are more complex, but not by a whole lot, and this gives you plenty enough as it is. Burns at slightly less than a moderate pace, fairly evenly, and is tinned at the perfect moisture level with a decent nic-hit that gets stronger as you smoke along. Needs a few relights, but the taste is consistent form start to finish, and little moisture is left in the bowl. I recommend a slow puffing cadence for best effect.

There are stronger tobaccos. I find these burleys work better with the Virginias than other kinds of dark-fired ones; not too strong to knock you off your feet, and certainly not weak.>>

• Options
    Thanks @motie2, much appreciated!  Seems like something I want to try and will be placing a P&C order. 
  • Options
    @Charles I have a few tins of Old Dark Fried, and I highly recommend it. It's a nice spicy smoke that's never let me down.
  • Options
    @Charles No I haven't, the description gives it a 4 rating on strength and I have trouble with some strong brands Nic hit. 
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the insight, much appreciated! 

@Woodsman, I too have trouble with some strong tobaccos, both in pipe tobacco as well as cigars. 

@thebadgerpiper, seems like something that should be smoked after a full meal and in small amounts.
  • Options
    @Charles, ODF is one of my favorite tobaccos, and has been in my regular rotation ever since it hit the market back in 2012. I have found that it is also an outstanding condimental tobacco, in some blends I have tried.
  • Options
    @xDutchx - Thank you sir, I will give it a go.  Much appreciated!
  • Options
    @Charles While I would save it for after dinner, ODF has never tested my limits in nicotine like Haunted Bookshop has.
  • Options
    I think the Dark Fired leaf does kick the body up a notch, but it doesn't contend with some others. So, if you're used to smoking lighter blends, I would second the motion to take it easy on ODF.
  • Options
    <<Dark Fired Kentucky: Heavy fertilizing during growth makes it a strong tobacco. The leaves are between 30-70 cm and dark brown. After air curing the curing continues over an open fire, similar to the Latakia process, except no spices or aromatics are added to the fire. Dark Fired is mainly used as a “condiment” tobacco, being substantially Burley, but the direct fire-cure results in specific aromas and flavors. It is strong and dark, full-bodied and high in nicotine.>>
  • Options
    I like this one. But eat something before hand. First time I tried it on an empty stomach I felt like I had three martinis when I was done. ...not a bad thing but it was an experience.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I will definitely try Mac Baren Old Dark Fired after dinner and on a full stomach.  @thebadgerpiper, I do smoke Haunted Bookshop and have not experienced anything overwhelming or powerful.  It seems to be a relaxing and flavorful smoke.  I have a very hard time smoking Dunhill's Nightcap or Royal Yacht as they seem way to powerful for me. So I tend to measure strength by Dunhill's Nightcap or Royal Yacht as my yardstick, if that makes sense.

• Options
    @Charles I made the mistake of smoking Haunted Bookshop one rainy afternoon in one of my pipes with a larger bowl, and I don't believe I had my fan going. Halfway through, I had to put my pipe down, because I was feeling a little green. Kept feeling worse, so I had to vacate the garage and get some fresh air, which did the trick. I haven't tried Nightcap or Royal Yacht, so I can't compare.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper -- If Haunted Bookshop did that to you, Nightcap will have you worshipping at the Great White Throne.
  • Options
    @motie2 If that's the case, then I hope I can pick up a tin of it before it goes away. I've yet to have a problem with English blends, so we'll see.
  • Options
    Gee; I must be tougher than I thought, Haunted Bookshop isn't as strong as I thought, I only get a little wobbly after a bowl of it.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper -- This video from Bradley at YouTubes StuffandThings channel tells youi all you need to know about the near legendary Dunhill Nightcap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOdxXM5_n5M