Home General
Options

What did Santa leave for you...

We spent Christmas Day opening presents with the two daughters and three granddaughters. Today we will open presents with the two sons and their families. 
So far I have been blessed to receive:
1 Tin of Peterson Holiday Season
1 Tin of C&D Sea Dog
2 oz Sutliff Christmas Spice
2 oz. Hearth & Home Christmas Spice
2 oz. Hearth & Home Egg Nog
1 80-ct. pkg of Big Ben Premium Pipe Cleaners
1 4-pack Ball half pint wide mouth jars (for storing pipe tobacco)
clothes
books
a 3 bottle set of bbq/grilling sauce
an old model kit for a Coast Guard 95-foot patrol boat

And a new hat.

The best gift is being able to spend time with all of your kids and grandkids.

And the new hat.

Comments

• Options
    @PappyJoe, sounds like a good time was had by all. Spending time with family and friends is what its all about.  We are up north freezing our @&$!# off doing the same. I did get a new pipe and pipe rack. I also received a Cajon, wooden watch and some clothes. I'm ready to south, I'm not missing this weather at all.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe you made out like a bandit!
  • Options
    New Slippers, 2 Heavy Flannel Shirts, 2 Tuborg Drinking Horns, a pound of McClelland 2020 Mature Cake, a pound of Stokkeby Twisted Flake, and 3 pairs of Wool Socks.
  • Options
    I was blessed enough this year to receive the Savinelli St. Nicholas take of the 320. It's breaking in nicely.
  • Options

This year I received quite a sack full of goodies from Jolly Ole Saint Nicotine. Beginning with two Nording Signature Pipes, an H.S. Studio carved beauty, a sweet little Cassillero bent pipe, the first of my two Abb Brown Pipes (better known to members of The Pipline as Corey Pipes), the first of two Missouri Meerschaum Little Devil Cobs from my Secret Santa, my second Abb Brown masterpiece (a true work of art - and a tamper to go with it), and my second Missouri Meerschaum Little Devil Cob ... this one a sitter from my Secret Santa. Quite a haul - and a fantastic lot to add to my collection.

And Jolly Ole Saint Nicotine did his best to increase my well stocked tobacco cellar with this obscene collection of tins and packaged tobacco: from East India Trading Company I have 10 tins of "Officer's Club", 4 tins of "Cellar Reserve" and 4 tins of "Royal Challenge"; from Sutliff 2 tins of Molto Dolce, 2 tins of Barbados Plantation, and I tin of Taste Of Summer; 1 pouch of D40 Vanilla, 1 pouch of Z92 Vanilla Custard/Cream,1 pouch of B20, 1 pouch of Z50 Black Cordial, 1 pouch of Rum And Maple, and 1 pouch of 1M; 1 tin of Out Of Office "Gone Fishing" and 1 tin of Out Of Office "Up All Night"; 1 tin of Panama Jack Key Lime; 1 tin of W.O. Larsen 1864; I tin of Cult Blood Red Moon; 1 tin of Drew Estate Grande Central; 1 tin of Payless Vanilla; and 1 pouch of Captain Black Dark. A good portion of these tinned tobaccos (as well as the pipes) were purchased throughout the year (beginning sometime in September) then set aside as Christmas presents. We tend to do our Christmas shopping throughout the year, when items are on sale, rather than wait and buy everything in December. So after looking at my Christmas tobacco stash let me state for the record that I'd have to be out of my mind to spend another dime on any additional tobacco purchases throughout 2018. (Other than Strauss "Sleepy Hollow" sometime this Autumn since I've yet to purchase any - and always wanted to try some). Other than that I'm declaring a moratorium on tobacco purchases for 2018. Let's hope I can keep my promise. 

My wife also got me some nice smelling cologne, some cool old black and white horror DVDs, a portable DVD player so I can watch those old flicks in the backyard during the Spring, Summer, and Autumn evenings while I'm outside smoking my pipe, and a pair of warm pajamas for these cold winter nights. All and all I really scored big this year. And I can think of a couple occasions when I was rather naughty. Imagine what I might have gotten had I been nice the whole year. 

• Options
    DavidR002DavidR002 Connoisseur
    When you have that many tins how many of them do you have open that you are smoking. Do you take them our of the tins for storage
  • Options
    Two words: Smoking Jacket! 
  • Options
    I came home from work on Tuesday morning after spending Christmas with my girlfriend's family and found a tin of Dunhill 965 in a Ziploc bag tied to my doorknob with red and green ribbon? a secret Santa perhaps?
  • Options
    I got sciatica and a brand new iMac.
  • Options
    @motie2 Since Sciatica usually shoots down the right leg am I to assume you received that gift in a stocking and not wrapped in a box? 
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    I didn't get anything but I did "win" a Dunhill pipe tamper that I've always wanted Xmas day. It's coming from Russia from a seller with zero feedback so it will be a holiday miracle if it ever arrives!
  • Options
    @DavidR002 I've been pretty lucky when it comes to opened tins. I usually smoke whatever I open before it has time to dry out. The only tinned tobacco I ever had to move directly to a Mason jar was from Boswell because the tins are not well sealed. They look more like the tins used for small tinned candles. Just sort of pop on and off as opposed to twist closed.
  • Options
    @xDutchx That pipe is a real beauty. Looks like it might have belonged to old Saint Nick himself. Like to see what it looks like once you've cleaned it up and bit and put a little shine on it.
  • Options
    You guys are lucky,I'm pretty much come from a non-smoking family, so pipe or tobacco products are pretty much out of the question. My hobby is accepted, but do not ask for any related products. I did ask my daughter for a gift card from P&C but that fell through. Did get a lot of great presents however. So no complaints.
  • Options
    @buflosab It can be hard getting pipe related merchandise from people firmly in the non-smoking camp. They feel as though they are doing you a favor by not supporting your filthy habit. Yet these same people have no problem giving candy, cookies, and fruitcake loaded with sugar or artificial sweeteners, or cheese and sausage gift trays from Hickory Farms with artery clogging processed meat and cheese products that are probably just as unhealthy for you as pipe smoking.   
  • Options
    @buflosab, Me too, I don't ask for pipe related gifts, I buy my own, except for the unknown person who left a tin of tobacco at my door.
  • Options

[quote] @buflosab ; It can be hard getting pipe related merchandise from people firmly in the non-smoking camp. They feel as though they are doing you a favor by not supporting your filthy habit. Yet these same people have no problem giving candy, cookies, and fruitcake loaded with sugar or artificial sweeteners, or cheese and sausage gift trays from Hickory Farms with artery clogging processed meat and cheese products that are probably just as unhealthy for you as pipe smoking. [quote]  

Today in our politically twisted world, I would remind any doo-gooders that there is a distinction between good filthy, and bad filthy.

Also, the doo-gooders risk to life is exponentially higher when they get behind the wheel of their car, but I refuse to waste precious time waiting in the driveway, in order to get the chance to chastise them, the way they would my pipe smoking.

• Options
    I received a pipe lighter, a tin of Cult Blood Red Moon, 3 Oz. of Sutliff Vanilla Custard. 
  • Options
    Thanks ghostsofpompeii,xDutchx,and pipeman83,your comments are worthy,the hypocracy is Right on.
  • Options
    A new hat some tins and a new lazer etcher for me.
  • Options
    Both the sciatica and the new iMac are expected to be around for a long time. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe, nice hat, you look good.
  • Options
    Very nice hat @PappyJoe !

My Stanwell pipe showed up in the mailbox today, and I'm very happy with it. I didn't realize it when I ordered the pipe that it had a paneled stem, but it does which adds some character to it.

• Options
    @the badgerpiper  Nice looking pipe. I agree that the paneled stem adds a bit of character to it. But I also like the tea set behind the pipe. It's always hard to find a nice masculine tea set that looks good in a gentleman's man cave. A majority of the tea pots I come across are a bit too frilly and feminine. I was looking for a nice Sherlock Holmes tea pot for my Dad this Christmas and located quite a few on line ... but have yet to see anything in a brick and mortar store.  
  • Options
    For whatever reason, other than the grab bag we did at my parent's home on Christmas-ever wherein i received a few clothing items that were the wrong size, my wife and I decided to limit gifts to each other to just one this year.  Pipe and tobacco related products were not in the cards, but given how much I spent this year on such items, they shouldn't have been either.  Still, it was nice holiday season this year and I"m sad it's over, particularly because I'm back to full work weeks.