Home General
Options

Strange Comment

Hopefully this hasn't been covered before.Was out on the porch the other evening smoking a mixture of Irish Cream and Sir Walter Raleigh and this person across the street commented in a voice I could hear (Smells like Marijuana) .I was taken aback,that I was basically unable to comment or reply. Anyone else have any of this types of encounter?

Comments

• Options
    LMAO, nope.. Never. The few that had commented liked the smell. Including women surprisingly.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comment Londy3,I to have had comments like yourself but dam the one I posted came out of left field.
  • Options
    @buflosab Only when I smoked a Lipton's Tea Bag at work. But when I did that I already knew smoking a tea bag would smell like pot, and I did it to get a response from my fellow workers. I think that since there are so few of us pipe smokers walking about that most people automatically assume your pipe is packed with marijuana or crack.  
  • Options
    Yes I think you are correct..In the sprit of self disclosure I to smoked some tea while still in the Army,don't know why.Probably because someone said you could get high.Did not work. I was half nuts at that particular time and got into situations that give me the chills when I think about them.
  • Options
    Such a comment could come only from someone who has absolutely no idea what marijuana actually smells like.
  • Options
    I take your point Topaz75, after I heard what this person said I have to admit I went into a slightly paranoid state of mind.Thinking Jesus what if this person is a real busy body a decided to call the cops and they came calling.It could end up being a real pain in the neck,it sounds ridiculous but stranger things have happened.
  • Options
    Was sitting in the car waiting for my wife to get out of her hair appointment at the local beauty school. Decided to load up my pipe and have a smoke while waiting and reading my book. A few minutes later, the owner of the school came storming out, claiming that someone had reported to him that I was smoking something illegal. Laughed at him -- and just let the smell of the smoke speak for itself. He went back inside without further word, and without apologizing for the accusation. (unrelated note: the school has been out of business for a few years now.)

• Options
    Holy Jesus,that’s unbelievable,thank you for the post.Could you imagine if these people were to take this one step further?
  • Options
    @buflosab A lot of people have no idea what weed smoke smells like. I've heard more than one person comment about the "Sickly Sweet" Aroma of weed. They may just have been trying to shake you up.There was a blend from th 50's called Brush Creek that did smell something like it, I only had a sample and it wasn't for me.
  • Options
    Thanks Woodsman,well they accomplished shaking me up to a certain degree.The thing is this person is of either Senoir HS or maybe college age. Guess I shouldn't peg all young kids as knowing what pot smells like. But if this happens again I will have an answer.Thanks to all for commenting.Think I will just put this to rest,but if anyone has any comments feel free.
  • Options
    A few years ago, my best friend and I were smoking our pipes back in the alley of a music venue. My friend was in a celtic punk band at the time, and we were minding our business while waiting for his band's turn. A guy walked past us, stopped, smirked and said "That's tobacco in your pipes, right?"

My friend chuckled and assured him that it was. I simply nodded at the man and glared at him. While I have a sense of humor, I'll admit that it wasn't with me that night. Though I'm a pipe smoker, I don't have much tolerance for the other stuff.

When I smoke my pipe while driving, I do feel a bit nervous while driving past a police officer. However, I've learned that as long as you don't act suspicious, they'll leave you alone.

• Options
    Your last statement hits home, I don't have a problem with police but I do get a little shady if  I'm smoking my pipe and police officers are within site. Think ghostsofpompeii hit the nail on the head when people see a pipe they make a lot of assumptions.
  • Options
    A lot of people toady are jerks.
    And we're living in a time when an accusation is tantamount to being guilty.

".... we're living in a political era in which facts don't matter." ~ Paul Krugman
  • Options
    I think you're a brother in arms, always like to hear what Paul Krugman has to say. Is it any wonder Orwells 1984  is once again relevant, and from what I understand flying off the book shelves.
  • Options
    You're preaching to the choir @motie2 ...
  • Options
    I take no heed of the police as I drive around with my pipe, I guess I just feel confident in my innocence. If they did pull me over I imagine I'd ask what's wrong?
  • Options
    Your right Woodsman,that's the way it should be. Must be some kind of a internal chemical reaction in some of us that sparks a different kind of feeling.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    edited December 2017
    Unfortunately, experiences with the local constabulary vary greatly from one state to another and even from community to community. I believe it was Bob Dylan who said he was once, “busted for being peculiar.”
  • Options
    Yes it's true,great point. If you quoted Bob Dylan I assume you might be a fan, one of my favorites.
  • Options
    Ny eldest's middle name is Dylan. I wanted the younger son's middle name to be Bruce, but SWMBO wouldn't go along......
  • Options
    Fabulous combination motie,1 out of 2 not bad.
  • Options
    Attempting to name your children after famous musicians does not always work out.  I know a guy who’s a blues aficionado, and he actually wanted to name his son Muddy.  My guess is that his wife just smacked him in the head and that was the end of it.
  • Options
    Yes that is a little out their in left field, maybe he should have chosen Lightning instead, ha,ha.
  • Options
    Bob also stated, "these times are a changing". How right he is. I honestly don't even recognize my country any longer. I'm a stranger in a strange land. 
  • Options
    Relevant or what?
  • Options
    @Londy -- Quoting Moses or Heinlein? Just askin'...........