Home General
Options

Chicago Pipe Show 2018

For those who like to plan ahead, the show is May 5th & 6th. Actually, things will start on Wed the 2nd. 

Comments

• Options

THE CHICAGO SCHOOL OF PIPE MAKING

REGISTRATION 2018

WE ARE OFFERING TWO CLASSES FOR 2018

1.  The pipe finishing class for 12 students. $125

2.  The pipe drilling/stem fitting class for 4 students. $175, which includes the pipe finishing class.

The pipe finishing class includes a pre-drilled block which you will finish under the guidance of our professional pipe makers LEE ERCK and ANDREW PETERSEN. JEFF GRACIK and ERNIE MARKLE will join our instruction staff, this year. 

Beginners are welcome. Our faculty of professionals will make sure that you make a pipe that you will be proud to own! There will be a total of 12 students, of which 4 will also take the drilling class.

The pipe drilling/stem making class is limited to students who have completed the pipe finishing class in a previous year. This class includes a block and stem that you will drill and fit and a pre-drilled block that you will also finish.

Please note that you are not registered until payment is made.

Please complete the following form and mail to Craig Cobine, 1567 Pine Lake Drive, Naperville, IL 60564. Make your check payable to “CPCC”. You may also email your registration to Craig Cobine at porshcigar@aol.com But you still must pay to complete your registration

Pipe finishing class $125.00

Name: _________________________

Telephone: _____________________

Email: ________________________

Pipe drilling class $175.00

Name: _________________________

Telephone: _____________________

Email: ________________________

Year in which you completed finishing class: ________

• Options
    @Winton Can't wait for the 2018 show!
  • Options
    If anyone needs me in exactly six months, I suggest looking for me in the smoking tent!

• Options
    DEADLINE FOR MASTER OF PIPES NOMINATIONS EXTENDED TO DEC. 31

Pipes and tobaccos magazine is again this year pleased to join the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club (CPCC) and the Doctors of Pipes in sponsoring the annual Master of Pipes awards, to be presented at the CPCC cigar dinner of the Chicagoland Pipe & Tobacciana Show on May 5, 2018.

The title Master of Pipes, first conferred at the 2017 Chicago show, is an annual recognition of select pipe smokers and members of the tobacco industry who have contributed significantly to our hobby but who have not yet been active in the pipe community for 20 years or more (a requirement for the Doctor of Pipes award). The first Masters of Pipes named were David Shain and Sykes Wilford.

Qualifications for the Master of Pipes award are the same as those for the Doctor of Pipes award except the service requirement is reduced to seven years and an age cutoff is stipulated to encourage younger pipe activists, who are an increasingly important part of our community.  Therefore, the Master of Pipes is open only to individuals who are 45 years old or younger as of Jan. 1 of the year of the award.

New Masters of Pipes are elected by current Doctors of Pipes. P&T magazine will serve as the front line for receiving nominations to be considered.

Readers are encouraged to submit nominations, in accordance with the following rules:

• Master of Pipes nominees must have at least seven demonstrable years in the hobby and/or the industry.
    • Nominees must prove their age will be 45 years or less as of Jan. 1, 2018.
    • Nominees must be engaged in activities that promote pipes/pipe tobacco and support the pipe community.
    • Individuals may not nominate themselves, although cooperation in the process will be necessary by both submitters and candidates.
    • As with the Doctor of Pipes award, two Masters of Pipes will be conferred. One will be in the industry category, for people working in pipes — retail, manufacturing, distribution, photography, publishing — anything that earns the nominee a living within the pipe community. The other Master of Pipes award will encompass hobbyists.
    • As previously stated, recipients will be awarded at the CPCC cigar dinner during the Chicagoland Pipe & Tobacciana Show on May 5, 2018. Please note that attendance is mandatory.
    • A committee chosen by P&T magazine will review nominations and submit five to the Doctors of Pipes, who will review the candidates’ qualifications and choose the winners.
    • At the show, each winner will receive a framed certificate and a lapel pin indicating his or her selection as a Master of Pipes.
    • A Master of Pipes is eligible for a Doctor of Pipes award in the future.

To nominate a deserving pipe smoker, please send a letter listing the nominee’s qualifications. Include his or her contact information (telephone number and email address required), birth date and the length of time the person has been active in the hobby. Send nominations to:

Pipes and tobaccos magazine
    Master of Pipes
    901 Jones Franklin Road, Suite 102
    Raleigh, NC 27606

Or, preferably, you may send your nomination via email to wcn@pipesandtobaccosmagazine.com.

Remember to write the nomination honestly and to the full advantage of the candidate, including the person’s contributions to the hobby. This is what will primarily be used to judge acceptability, so please be thorough. Nominations that do not include contact information (both email and telephone number) for both the submitter and the candidate will be disregarded. We will research the candidates and find the best five that we can to forward to the Doctors for final selection. Nominations must be received on or before Sunday, Dec. 31, 2017. Please forward questions via email to William C. Nelson, wcn@pipesandtobaccosmagazine.com.

The award will be covered in the pages of P&T magazine, including photos of the winners. If possible, the new Masters of Pipes will be featured on the cover of the magazine (dependent, among other factors, upon the photogenic charms of the people involved).

• Options
    Nicole, If you meet the above criteria, please let me know. I would love to nominate you for this award.
  • Options
    @Winton I don't qualify, but I do have an idea of a highly deserving individual. I need to do a little more research to see if they meet all the qualifications. I'll send you a direct message with more info
  • Options
    Nicole, anyone can nominate. No need to go through me. 
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Apprentice
    Always look forward to this show, will be there!
  • Options
    The UPCA National Pipe Smoking Contest is going to happen in the Smoking Tent on Sunday May 6th at 1:00! A picture of the contest pipe is on their website. Full details have not been posted yet. I have already registered and paid! 

• Options
    I'm going! And I'm very excited about it already! But, I have a question. What is the Friday "Swap and Smoke?" Is that open to the public? Is it the only time you can buy stuff? Should I hustle from the airport to get there?
  • Options
    The official show is on Saturday & Sunday. That is in the Megacenter of Pheasant Run. Vendors pay a fee for these table. 

The Friday "Swap and Smoke" will be in the smoking tent. People can sell their pipes and related items for free. People start lining up for this event EARLY. This continues all morning and afternoon. Lets say that the tent becomes loud, crowded, and very fragrant. There are lots of pipes and cash that changes hands there. 
  • Options
    @Winton Thanks, that helps!

• Options
    Today, I am announcing that the Chicago Bowl will be flake tobacco with latakia! This could be a coin, regular flake, or broken flake. There will be several blends, without labels, available for tasting. Vote for the one you enjoy the most. Saturday afternoon the voting will be completed and later we will announce the winner by the popular vote.

In future years, we plan on exploring Virginia and Vaper flakes. If you have not tried a flake, do a search on YouTube for flake preparation. There are lots of ways to smoke a flake. 
  • Options
    • THE CHICAGO FEAST
      HERE ARE THE CHOICES FOR OUR 2018 SATURDAY NIGHT BANQUET.
      MENU
      SALAD AND BREAD:
      Field greens salad: romaine, California iceberg and baby greens garnished with
      English cucumbers, tear drop tomatoes and julienne vegetables with selection of
      Ranch or Italian dressing.
      Chef's selection of hearth baked breads and rolls served with creamery butter.
      MAIN COURSE SELECTIONS AVAILABLE:
      Roasted Prime Rib of Beef (8 oz.) served with natural Au Jus and creamy
      horseradish sauce. $50.00
      Chicken Alexandra - pan seared and brushed with honey mustard and crusted in
      pecans, walnuts and sun dried cranberries, set on sautéed baby spinach with
      calvados buerre blanc. $47.00
      Salmon Americana - pan seared and topped with shrimp and scallops with
      lobster creme. $47.00
      Roasted Vegetable Pasta - portobello mushrooms, zucchini, asparagus, baby bok
      choy and grilled artichokes nestled on a bed of pappardelle pasta. Complimented
      with a sun dried tomato asiago broth. $42.00
      DESSERT:
      Alternating settings of flourless chocolate cake and New York cheesecake with
      raspberry infusion in a graham cracker crust.
      Coffee, decaf/instant coffee, tea and iced tea.
      A cash bar will be available. Everyone attending the dinner will be entered in a
      drawing for a box of fine cigars donated by five dinner sponsors.
      Please make you dinner selections in advance.
    • DINNER RESERVATION FORM:
      NAME: ______________________________________________
      Number of dinners Amount due
      _______ of Roasted Prime Rib of Beef dinners @ $50.00 = $_________
      _______ of Chicken Alexandra dinners @ $47.00 = $_________
      _______ of Salmon Americana dinners @ $47.00 = $_________
      _______ of Roasted Vegetable Pasta dinners @ $42.00 = $_________
      Total amount due for all dinners reserved = S_________
      DINNERS MUST BE ORDERED AND PAID BEFORE 5 PM SATURDAY
      MAY 5, 2018

• Options

THE CHICAGOLAND INTERNATIONAL PIPE & TOBACCIANA SHOW

2018 SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

WEDNESDAY May 2, 2018

9 am Pipe Making Seminar, Mega Center Annex, Pre-registration required

12 pm Chicago Pipe Show 6,000 square foot smoking tent opens

THURSDAY May 3, 2018

8 am Pipe Making Seminar, Mega Center Annex, Pre-registration required

4 pm International Charatan Collectors Society, Turquoise Room (Tower)

FRIDAY May 4, 2018

9 am – 4 pm, Smoke and Swap, Tent (6 am vendor line up, 8 am set up)

9 am Chicago Bowl, the pipe smoker’s award tor English Flakes opens in the tent.

9:30 am – 4:30 pm Champagne Limo to Premium Outlet Mall, Hotel Lobby

12 pm – 5 pm Welcome Table, Hotel across from indoor/outdoor pool

3 pm UPCA Annual Meeting, Ruby Room (Tower)

4 pm Heroines of the Pipes, Manduela and Ann Julie video

7 pm – 10 pm Welcome Buffet Dinner, St. Charles Ballroom

7:30 pm presentations at Welcome Dinner

9: 00 pm What Most Pipemen Don’t know about Peterson: McCardle Suite

9 pm Ladies’ Tobacco Related Arts & Craft Program, Turquoise Room (Tower)

9 pm Pipe Repairmen Roundtable, Sapphire Room (Tower)

SATURDAY May 5, 2018

7 am Exhibitor Set up, Mega Center

10 am – 5pm Chicago Pipe Show, Mega Center

9 am Chicago Bowl, the pipe smoker’s award tor English Flakes opens in the Show.

11 am – 3+ pm Silent Auction, Mega Center

12 pm Private Ladies’ Luncheon for Exhibitors, St Charles Ballroom Salons 5 & 6

7 pm The Chicago Feast banquet, New Orleans Ballroom

9 pm Doctor of Pipes Meeting, Arnold Palmer Suite (Tower)

SUNDAY MAY 6, 2018

6:30 – 9:30 am Pipe Show Breakfast, St Charles Ballroom, Salons I, III, IV

8 am Study of Tobacco in the Bible (Tent)

8 am Exhibitor Set up, Mega Center

9 am – 5pm Chicago Pipe Show, Mega Center

11 am Chicago Bowl, the pipe smoker’s award tor English Flake ends..

12 pm Show Awards Presentation, Mega Center

1 pm UPCA United States of America National Pipe Smoking Championship, Tent

MONDAY MAY 7, 2018

8 am – 12 pm Post Show, Terrace Café Area 

Please keep in mind that all of the above activities are subject to change or cancellation, even at the last minute, due to illness or unforeseen circumstances.

• Options
    WintonWinton Master
    Smokingpipes published a story about the last pipe that Lars Ivarsson made, before he died. This has been donated to the silent auction for the Chicago Pipe Show. The link is below. We would like to thank the Ivarsson family for their support and generosity. 

https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/one-last-gift
  • Options
    WintonWinton Master
    Yesterday, the Chicago Pipe Show opened! The pipe finishing class has started. I met several pipe makers that I have seen each year. There was a small crowd in the tent last night. The guys at the table I was sitting at discussed pipes, tobacco, work, motorcycles, travel, wives, and all the other topics that men talk about. The torrential rain was interesting, but the tent was dry. 

The crowd will start getting bigger tonight and MUCH bigger the rest of the weekend. Be sure to talk to me if you see me. I am the bald guy, with a grey hair and beard. I probably will be smoking a pipe. 
  • Options
    I've been enjoying a variety of YouTube Pipe Presenters videos of this years Chicago Pipe Show.
  • Options
    Not to bump up an old topic, but for those interested, I wrote a new blog talking about my experience at the Chicago Pipe Show.

• Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    Solid Review! I always enjoy hearing from those new to the hobby! Even after spending probably 70 some days at this show over the past 21 years I still get a little weak in the knees when I walk in every year. 
  • Options
    @daveinlax Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who gets overwhelmed at first sight of the pipe show. There's nothing quite like it for the pipe fan.