Home General
Options

How bad/good is your PAD

2»

Comments

• Options
    I just got back from a great pipe club meeting and WOW, some of the pipes there had me drooling! 
  • Options
    I have been smoking pipes for about 24 years but just over the last year have I really started to collect pipes I am only up to 16 pipes all ones I or my son smoke in rotation. I also have certain pipes for certain tobaccos like my English pipe my VaPer pipe and my Aromatic pipes  
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @pipeprofessor I think my greatest fear would be going somewhere that had pipes for sale, a lot and beautiful, because I might no longer have anything left in my bank account or a truck to get to a house I might not have
  • Options
    @drac2485, there was a guy there last night with a entire case for sale. I browsed but my bank account said otherwise! 
  • Options
    I have about 25 pipes..smoke them all in my rotation..had well over 40 but throuhout the years i have given a few as gifts..sent a few to a member of anothe club who gives pipes away to people who want to start pipe smoking but have little or no means to buy a pipe..i want to add some more soon..i keep eyeing a small bit brebbie gala fist that is almost the same as my first pipe!
  • Options
    I've put a hold on PAD, I'm concentrating on TAD building the Cellar up for the possibility.
  • Options
    Just bought 2 more pipes on ebay!
  • Options
    In a holding pattern right now. Forcing myself to wait a month before making another order.
  • Options
    Just bought a Cellini Lumberman for $15.00
  • Options

Just received one of my ebay pipes today, sanitizing it.

• Options
    I have been way too into PAD and I'm up to 56 pipes, all smokers, I have 2 odd balls to show extremes of pipe making. with the FDA Crack of Doom I'm concentrating on TAD.
  • Options

My PAD is significant enough, that I contacted Bradford Health Services, a local rehab facility. After being quoted a fee of $13,000 to rid me of my addiction, and then giving serious consideration to how many Sixten Ivarsson carvings I could add to my collection for the same amount of money, I hung my head and realized rehab would never be an option for me.

Back in the spring of 2013, I took the time to count my collection, and including cobs the total came to around 220 pieces. Over the last 3 years, I have added several additional pipes, some high grades, and some unique pieces that were must have's in spite of their minimal value.

It could have been whisky. It could have been drugs. It could have even been loose wimmen. All things considered, I'm lucky to admit that my name is Chris, and I am a pipe addict.

Here are a few pics form my pipe collection from years past.....

DSC00297_zps3cc3dcaa

DSC00296_zpscfc6dedb

DSC00293_zps6faca74e

DSC00300_zps95bdb62e

DSC00294_zps3445c829

DSC00286_zpsa7d882ac

DSC00298_zps4a1add0b

DSC00289_zps89f42c12

DSC00116

DSC00304_zps546347df

DSC00299_zps3c1f455d

DSC00301_zps8ad3d4dc

DSC00305_zpsb7591cdd

• Options

OK, I'm still doing PAD and thought I had it under control but, saw a nice 1 off craftsman and it was too good a price. There, got that out of my system. Wow, a Butz Choquin Capitan, 2 on the way. A hand carved Briar of Versingetorix, my Meer Versigetorix version is lonely. 3 on way. Oooo a Wally Frank Pipe of the month( 1 per month for a year for $12 postpaid when new.) Save Me!!! 

• Options
    @xDutchx, that's a quite impressive collection, I'm jealous!
  • Options
    @pipeman83, Thanks! Those are some older pics, and the situation has become more severe since those were taken. LoL
  • Options
    I believe it is time for this group to be introduced to a Variation of Satrapian Pen Math. As I have mentioned I use and accumulate fountain pens. No, I do NOT collect fountain pens. People who collect fountain pens get all fussy about one particular model of a particular marque and then go after every variation known and unknown to God, man and beast.

We accumulators...well, we buy pens to use as tools in our daily work. A good friend of mine, the Lady Satrap, She of the Ruby Yacht (she really exist--Good friend...got thrown off more than on pen discussion list with me for taking down snooty Mont Blanc users...) decided there was only 25 pens in her 250 pen collection. I tried Satrapian Pen Math on my 350+ pen accumulation...she was right, only 25 pens in my 350+ accumulation.

Works like this for this group...
    • Mix and match as needed until your total equals 25 or less
      • All pipes of the same marque count as one pipe, hence 10 Savinelli pipes = 1 Savinelli pipe
      • All pipes with a bent stem (amount of bend is not considered) count as one pipe
      • Each finish counts as one pipe, to whit. 5 smooth= one pipe; 5 sandblast=one pipe and so one.
      • All shapes count as one pipe. So, I have about 8 prince shapes which count as one pipe under these rules.
    Applied properly, this sub-set of Satrapian Pen Math will ensure that whenever your significant other asks how many pipes you have, you can, with a straight and honest face and heart, say.."oh, probably 25 or so..."

Works for me...in the past with pens... So far DB ain't asked. But then, DB is an FP nut like I am, so she knows better...she KNOWS I will use the Satrapian Pen Math Variation...

Go, Count your pipes under this system...you will have, I'll wager, 25 or fewer pipes...no matter HOW many pipes you THINK you have...

Happy holidays...and Namaste...
  • Options
    @xDutchx - the whiskey and drugs could land you in jail. The loose wimmen would have cost you more than rehab. 
    You made the right choice.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe, Words of wisdom without a shadow of a doubt!
  • Options
    @xDutchx Nice pipes, but the pipe furniture is amazing! Very nice collection sir!
  • Options

@thewanderingdude, thanks so much! I have 4 of those wall hanging pipe racks, and they were surprisingly affordable. A guy used to sell them on ebay, and only wanted around $36 plus $15 shipping. They are made of pine I believe, which makes them easier to hang on sheetrock than if they were made of a heavier hardwood or exotic.

Also, the antique pipe cabinet with the rotating shelf only cost me around $60. I have considered having it restored by someone competent, but I'm guessing it could get expensive.

• Options
    Just took pictures of the 3 new pipes. Butz-Choquin Capitan Extra 1634
    Studio HS Craft Rhodesian
    Butz-Choquin Gaulois 60 Verisngetorix
  • Options
    How bad is my PAD...so bad I not only have a special Math for it, the addiction has a special Math formula...P+PAD--Pens and Pipes addiction. Last year, I was on PIPPR--Personally Invoked Pen Purchase Restriction. 

After this last little flurry of activity on some really nice tidbits on the 'bay (including a Jobey that is remincent of a Jobey from my former pipe-smoking days and a wildly extravagant and winning bid on a uniquely shaped GBD GIANT (see below) my 2017 P+PPiPR is in full force Pipe and Pen Personally Invoked Purchase Restriction is in force. Full Force. DEFCON 5 Full Force.

s-l500
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    @motie2
    @thebadgerpiper
    Awesome article! For the most part, PAD & TAD have been accurately depicted, not to mention the witty humor that was interjected...
    Tnx