Home General
Options

War Stories: Pipe Smoking in the Military

jfreedyjfreedy Master
edited October 2017 in General
I know we have many veterans and some active military on TPL. Many of you have already shared stories of smoking on ships, foreign lands or even in garrison. With Veteran's Day approaching I'm sure many of you have some amazing pipe-related "war stories" you could share. Let's hear some of yours (or even stories from loved ones who served).

Comments

• Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    edited October 2017
    I'll kick it off...
    In my 31 years serving in the Oklahoma Army National Guard I've smoked in uniform all across the U.S. However, my favorite location was at Ft. Monroe, VA. That is where Confederate President Jefferson Davis was imprisoned for 2 years. He was allowed two possessions while there: his bible and his amazing well-used egg & claw meerschaum pipe. It's on display in the "cave" where they kept him.  

• Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    edited October 2017
    This post is for one particular TPL Master.

I'm in the 145th Army Band. This past weekend at Drill we played for the Oklahoma Military Hall of Fame induction ceremony. We often play the Service Songs Medley (basically a medley of each branch of service's "fight song"). While rehearsing I hit record on my iPhone just for you @PappyJoe.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhi0hwvrtw6kbmf/Coast Guard song.mp3?dl=0   (please remember this is a rehearsal... it's a little rough)

• Options
    @jfreedy Nice. You guys did good.
  • Options
    Opposite ends of the world. I've smoked my pipe while breaking ice in the north Bering Sea  between Alaska and Russia and while breaking an channel in the ice leading to McMurdo, Antarctica. 
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    As a former US History teacher and long-time American Civil War buff, I feel compelled to correct the record regarding Jefferson Davis.  Actually, the first and only President of the CSA spent just a couple of years in prison immediately following the war. He died, a free man in New Orleans, in 1889.
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    edited October 2017
    Oh really! I could have sworn that was what the tour guide told us. However, that was about 20 years ago, and I've learned to not trust my memory.  :p Thanks @Topaz75 for the update/correction. I've updated my original post.
  • Options
    Just saw a documentary on GIs in WWII in England.  They were set up in Dorset prior to D-Day, and some video footage showed them smoking their pipes while awaiting departure to Normandy.  My thoughts go out to them all.
  • Options
     Honestly in my Army days I did not know anyone that smoked a pipe.Mostly it was cigarettes and some cigar smokers.And other things. I didn't smoke at all.I think maybe pipe smoking  was a more popular thing with the W.W. Two veterans and maybe the Korean Veterans.Could be wrong.Sorry I couldn't contribute more,great question though.
  • Options
    @buflosab — I agree that most are not pipe smoking... even now. That said, there have always been those, at least in my unit, who did (besides me). When I first got in back in 1986 there was an old (I’m probably his age now) grizzled guy named Leroy who always smoked a pipe. Some Drills when we were allowed to wear “uniform of choice” he’d always wear his OD green (Vietnam era) fatigues which had not yet been decommissioned. He was also one of the toughest, most intimidating sergeants I’d ever met. No body messed with Leroy. Plus, it seemed like he smoked a different pipe each Drill. His influence may have been why I was drawn to pipe smoking. Maybe I wanted to appear tough like Leroy. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the comment,very interesting story.It is really amazing how we all remember the people we encountered during our military service.Guess they had a big influence on us,maybe more then we like to admit. You served and in my book your tough enough.
  • Options
    I only met 2 other pipe smokers in the Army 1 was an MP like in Aberdeen Proving Grounds, And 1 was the company clerk in Germany. I didn't buy local tobacco in Germany, just Carter Hall in the PX. Very few of the locals smoked pipes where I was stationed but, I ran into quite a few in Bavaria and the Tyrol sitting in a Gasthaus swapping tobaccos and drinking beer. Holland had some great tobaccos and I did bring back a couple of them back to the post with me. Wandering around the German/ French border with 2 liters of beer and Sandwich or two looking around old fallen down castles and blown up bunkers of the Siegfried Line was always a thing I enjoyed. I got to go to the October Fest in Munich and all kinds of Wine Fests in many of the local towns and I learned to ski in Garmish Partenkirkin on the Zugspitze and managed a lot of travel to places like Luxembourg and Paris (Hated Paris).
  • Options
    @Woodsman -- sounds like you got to do some serious European touring while there. We were only sent to Europe (Italy) once for a week back in the mid 80s to march in a parade celebrating the 45th Infantry who helped liberate them. Our unit, the 145th Army Band, was attached to the 45th Infantry back then. So we represented them. We literally marched on a bed of roses as people through them onto the streets. They also insisted we sample their homemade wines while they told us stories of the Big War. I haven't had that much homemade wine since!
  • Options
    I was there in Germany for over a year and saved all my leave to use on trips on European railroads. As MP's we worked 3 day shifts for nine days and then got 3 days off . The company CO used to juggle the shift where two platoons did extra days and 1 platoon would carry the sign out book with us and sign out on 3 day pass after 1 day travel which got us all over Germany, except we were not allowed closer than 60 K's of the East German Border due to our clearances. this allowed us to stretch a 3 day pass to 5 days. Luxembourg, Holland, Paris and Spain were leaves.
     The French border was about 2 K's from our base and trails led over the border with no problem. I never saw a French Border Guard but one time my buddy and I were hiking on a road and the German Border Guards stopped and offered us a lift back to the base. Their Van had a partition between them and us and another screen behind us. When my friend and I turned to see what was behind us two of the biggest German Shepherds I ever saw jumped at the screen snarling and barking at us. The Guards were laughing their A---s off. It seems they often pulled it on unaware hikers for laughs, we laughed too but not so hard.
  • Options
    @motie2 coming through again with great internet finds! Thanks for the reading.
  • Options
    We welcome you, @BillT123

Join us on Friday evening for Virtual Pipe Club.