Home General
Options

Exercise and Pipe Smoking

Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
I know that this post will most likely generate some sarcasm.  However, I do have a genuine question.  Are there any pipe/cigar smokers out there who are serious about exercise.  About 4 years ago, I was in the best shape of my life.  I was able to running marathons and had an extreme about of energy.   Over the last two years I have really let myself go physically.  I have gain 65 lbs and can barely run for a solid minute.  Just over one year ago, I started smoking cigars and then pipes.  I told myself it was to help deal with the stress and depression I was going through.  I am now at the point in my life, where I feel I need to get back into shape.  I am planning on resuming exercise and hope to be able to run a marathon again.  On the other hand, I have really enjoyed the new hobby of pipe and cigar smoking.  I am not really interested in giving it up.  Therefore, the question is "Are there in pipe and cigar smokers out there who also enjoy exercise? If so, what advice would you give me?"

Comments

• Options
    @Hiker007 As a retired 67 year old with back, neck, and knee problems the extent of my exercise is limited to taking walks with my wife in fairgrounds or parks with walking trails. And when I do so I always bring my pipe along. To the real health enthusiasts I see jogging past me it may seem like a contradiction for a man to be smoking a pipe while getting exercise - but it's not. I'll never run a cross country again like I did in my youth - but this little bit of exercise is helping me to slowly take off the weight, and aromatic pipe smoking is a good substitute for chowing down on sweet desserts. 
  • Options
    First off, did you gain the weight over 4 years or 2 years? I would talk to my doctor and figure out why I had that much weight gain in 2 years and then start trying to slowly take it off. Just know beforehand the doctor is probably going to recommend you stop smoking even though your pipe and cigar smoking had nothing to do with the weight gain.

When I retired from the Coast Guard, I weighed 213 lbs. Once retired I started drinking more and eating more and exercising less, I gained weight. It got worse after a car accident (not my fault) and it messed up my back. My weight climbed to about 254 and I developed Type II Diabeties. I've taken off the pounds by cutting back on soft drinks (diet drinks can be worse than regular ones), cut back on drinking alcohol (don't drink everyday) and watching what I eat. I am now down to 194 lbs.  Didn't cut back on my pipes and cigars.  Still can't run, but I do walk a lot.
  • Options
    That's like saying I can't exercise and have my bourbon on the weekend?  Preposterous! We live only once. Enjoy what you can when you can.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    My advice to anyone looking for more exercise is to get a rescue dog.  The younger and bigger the better.  Your dog will happily walk and/or run with you every day for as long as you want.  A lot more fun and a lot less expensive than a gym membership.  It’s easy to come up with excuses for not going to the gym.  It’s not so easy to say no and disappoint an eager canine companion.
  • Options
    @Topaz75

We have 4 rescue Kitty Cats.....does that count?

• Options
    Not in my experience. Try taking a cat for a drag.
  • Options
    Sometimes the work of filling my pipe and walking outside to sit and smoke is all the exercise I get. My index finger is trim and fit.
  • Options

@pwkarch That's a great line about your index finger. I have to remember that one. Just don't ask me to pull it!...:)

Seriously though, I go to the Y and hit the machines 3 times a week. Helps keep me somewhat toned and makes me a little sharper on my golf game. And with golf I need all the help I can get!  

• Options
    @KA9FFJ -- Your screen name looks like a ham radio call sign, no?
  • Options
    I work my arms everytime I I light my pipe and also when I take it out and put it in my mouth.  I also work my legs when I walk around while smoking.

• Options
    @motie2 Affirmative. Been a ham since '82. Great hobby to have for those bad weather and cold winter days... 
  • Options
    mseddonmseddon Professor
    I run 4 miles a day four days a week. Pipe smoking doesn't seem to have affected it. I listen to podcasts while I run - Country Squire Radio (natch), Alice Isn't Dead, Planet Money, Hi-Phi Nation, Day1 Weekly Radio, and How I Built This. I used to listen to Stuff You Should Know but I got tired of their lazy-bro delivery. Looking forward to a podcast helps get me out the door. Alice Isn't Dead is one heck-of-a creepy podcast, done by the folks who do Welcome to Night Vale (slightly less creepy). It's good for October.
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    @mseddon I enjoy listening to podcast also.  I need to download some to my phone and start hitting the pavement more. 
  • Options
    JLTRowJLTRow Newcomer
    I have tested this theory with a bowl full and a couple of runs and would not say that my capacity has been affected. In fact that guy I ran with was surprised to hear that I had smoked the night before our run because he couldn't keep up. Podcasts and audiobooks are great for walking or running. 

@mseddon, have the SYSK guys gotten worse. To be honest they are the ones that brought me into the podcast world, but now I listen to them on 2.5 speed and I'm still aggravated with the rambling. I know it's their schtick but there comes a point when it's too much, right? Thanks for the suggestions on some new ones though! Check out Radical Personal Finance and the Pipes Magazine Radio Show.
  • Options
    JdalenJdalen Newcomer
    I run a little over 3 miles/day 4-5 days/week and this after starting to smoke a pipe (I ran on and off for years prior to pipe smoking). The pipe smoking doesn’t seem to have made much of a difference.
  • Options
    I'm 45 and pretty serious about staying in shape. I have bad knees and hips from sports many moons ago. I have found that single speed biking is perfect for me. It's great cardio - and really works on your core. It's actually more of a total body workout than people realize, but MUCH easier on all of your joints. So I ride and then do pushups and it's all I really need and very enjoyable. I see no negative correlation between my pipe smoking/moderate whiskey drinking and exercising.
  • Options
    This probably belongs in the "S's and G's" discussion folder, but I am a meatball and this appealed to me.... Reminds me of the legendary toy, "Dickie the Stick."

• Options
    edited October 2017
    There is a lot of physical effort that goes into striking a match, and sometimes even more so when flicking a lighter. I get plenty of exercise. And that walk between the TV and refrigerator is no small task either. Even typing this message is exhausting ... try typing refrigerator without getting neck spasms.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    One approach would be to keep all of the equipment required for pipe smoking in different locations.  For example, one might keep the pipes in the den, the lighter in the garage, the pipe tool in the basement, the tamper in the attic, and the pipe cleaners in the backyard shed. Every smoke would then automatically become an extensive aerobic exercise. If this is insufficient, you might try storing some of the above at the home of an acquaintance who lives several blocks away.

Another option would be to bury your pipes somewhere a good distance away each evening before you retire.  Digging the hole would be great exercise, and the next morning you would have to walk to the burial site, dig up a pipe, fill in the hole, and walk back to your house to have a smoke.
  • Options
    We are now, officially, adrift-at-sea in this discussion.
  • Options
    I often smoke a corncob while riding my bicycle. Flake tobaccos work best for this; they stand up to the wind better!
  • Options
    I’ve been in the Army 31 years now and never failed a PT test or been on weight control. I’ve been smoking a pipe for 30 of those years. I still run, walk, circuit, weight lift, exercise video, or something several times a week and tend to smoke daily. I haven’t noticed any negative correlation between the two. But, I also NEVER inhale. The only negative I have with smoking a pipe is that it sounds so good to me sometimes that I choose smoking a bowl over running a mile. Exercising first then smoking a pipe afterward (as a reward) tends to help. 
  • Options
    I just got finished working out, 30 minutes on the treadmill, some weights and walking on the track, now, like @jfreedy, I’m having a pipe.
  • Options
    I still play rugby and volleyball every weekend.  On top of that, I smoke Table 36 Peacemaker cigars and my pipe weekly.
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Apprentice
    I'm a  bicycle guy, I ride a 12 speed carbon fiber, rode bike. I try to do 30 to 60 miles on weekends and 20 to 40 on week days. in the winter I switch to a trainer indoors. working my way up to a century ride. I smoke a couple of bowls a week, but I do not inhale so I've not noticed any breathing issues. That's what made me give up cigarettes, 30  years ago so glad I did , because at 60 I take no meds, at all and I'm still going strong! thank God! 
  • Options
    @Anthony -- Indeed, God bless!
  • Options
    @Anthony

I get up from my office chair and walk to the kitchen and get a cup of coffee. Unfortunately I can no longer do too much with severe spinal stenosis. I am avoiding my 4th back surgery. I used to put the old running shoes on and do 3 miles most evenings. I used to lift weights.....I used to do a lot of physical work. I can't do a whole lot anymore.  BUT, I can still smoke the hell out of my pipes. Enjoy your younger years my friend, enjoy every one of them..