Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Dunhill Tobacco - Time to Panic Yet?

So we all know Dunhill has decided to stop making pipe tobacco. And as far as I know, no one has bought their brands yet. So, is it time to panic? Time to beg SWMBO for permission to buy by the pound? My main concern is with Early Morning Pipe. I'm hugely fond of it, and not sure if it is almost gone or not. P&C now carries only a one pound bag. Smoking Pipes still has it in bulk. I keep buying it 4 ounces at a go, not wanting to sink $56 at one go, but I will if we are in panic mode. Does anyone know or even have an idea about how much of this stuff is out there? 

Comments

• Options
    The most recent announcement was back in January:

<<Tobacco giant British American Tobacco is planning to no longer offer Dunhill cigars and pipe tobaccos. “British American Tobacco (BAT) has informed us of their intention to exit the handmade cigar and pipe tobacco business for the Dunhill brands, said Régis Broersma, president of General Cigar Co., which makes Dunhill cigars and distributes them in the U.S. “As this process will take approximately 12-18 months to complete, it will be business as usual; therefore, there will be no change to the way in which we manufacture, market and sell the Dunhill items in our portfolio in the near future. We are currently in talks with BAT to discuss the future of the brand.”>> 

• Options
    I don't know about panicking, but I have a number of tins of my faves set aside. Happily for me, my faves are some of the less popular ones.
  • Options
    @mseddon I agree with @judandhispipe. I don't believe it is time to panic, however, it cannot hurt to stock up on your favorite blends. That being said, it would have been advantageous to have began stocking up when the news first broke. I personally have been stocking up on Elizabethan Mixture. 

Summary: Don't panic, do stock up.

• Options
    @PhilosoPiper -- So, you find Elizabethan Mixture to be superior as a VaPer to Escudo?
    I mean, different cut and all, but is EM really a better smoke?
    Bradley at Stuff and Things says EM is his favorite blend.
  • Options
    Gentlemen, is is said "Nature abhors a vacuum", and it is hard for me to believe that other blenders, having a better knowledge of what makes Dunhill blends taste the way they do, will not fill the gap when the time comes.
  • Options
    @motie2 I wouldn't say superior, however I tend to smoke Elizabethan more often. That being said, Deluxe Navy rolls are #2 on my "stock up" priority list.
  • Options
    Ah, yes: DeLuxe Navy Rolls. I forgot about them. They certainly are worthy for a place in the VaPer top three, I'm just undecided about the appropriate order.
  • Options

My advice would be to cellar hard and deep on your favorite blends. They will get better with age, and increase in value as time goes on. Some of the hard to find blends are going for insane prices at the online auctions right now. A $10 to $20 tin, can easily go for 10 to 20 times it's original price under the right circumstances. A blend not being manufactured anymore, along with time, can create the right circumstances.

I was saddened, when I found out all the MacBaren Vintage Syrian had sold out, and remaining tins were sitting in someone elses cellar. I had considered getting counseling, but a bottle of Ardbeg 10 is much cheaper, leaving me more money for future cellarings. Gloom, despair, and agony, along with plenty of alcohol, could lead to a hit country music song. Just one hit song can lead to residual checks, which can help to finance my pipe smoking hobby.

• Options
    I have cellared as much as I can, probably 20 lbs of nightcap and maybe 30 tins of my other favorites. I truly hope a blender gets the rights to the blends, I don't always smoke dunhill but I would say 75% of the time I do reach for dunhill over any other
  • Options
    @PhilosoPiper, what is Elizabethan Mixture like? I heard Bradley of S&T talk about how good it is. Can you describe it?
  • Options
    @Londy3, Elizabethan Mixture is a Virginia Perique blend. The think about it is that it NEEDS age because it tends to burn pretty hot. EM burns hot because it is a ribbon cut tobacco as well as, being blended with a substantial amount of yellow Virginias. Once you get 2 years of age in a tin though most of these issues are eliminated. Out of the tin Elizabethan is a spicier version of Orlik Golden Sliced. You get a lot of the same grassy, light fruit notes, with more of the spice from the Perique. With Age, the tobacco really mellows out, and the grassiness begins to dissipate.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    Elizabethan Mixture is one of my favorites.  It burns well and I really like the cut.  I’ve always smoked it fresh out of the tin, but having read the comments by @PhilosoPiper I’ll definitely purchase a couple of extra tins and stash them away for awhile.  I love this forum.
  • Options
    mseddonmseddon Professor
    @paulwansing, you are the cellar king! I know who to visit when the hammer finally drops!
  • Options
    Back when I smoked VaPers, it was Elizabethan Mixture or Escudo.
  • Options
    EM is one of my go to summertime smokes. I find it (as with many Virginias) to be amazing when it is warm but bland when the weather turns. Just a personal preferance i guess but i love going on my porch on a hot day with a book, sweet tea, and some Elizabethan  in my briar!
  • Options
    Here's some Dunhill news, via Bradley at Youtube StuffandThings, with some harsh words for Dunhill.

https://youtu.be/t-R1dpPA6s8?t=12m7s
  • Options
    I just ordered some Dunhill baccy. I figure if nothing else I can sell it in the future to help pay for my kid’s college. 
  • Options
    WoobieWoobie Enthusiast
    I've only got one ton of EM, and it is the one Dunhill blend I would miss. I love it and Escudo both, but they are different. I taste the Perique in EM more, and to my palate, Escudo has more grassy flavor. If I had to choose only one, I would probably pick Escudo. But I wouldn't be happy about losing EM, that's for sure. I like EM for the car too, since it's easier and less messy to pack. Plus it has more nic to keep me awake on the road.
  • Options
    Escudo on sale at Smokingpipes.com at 10% off through Feb. 19
  • Options
    @motie2 The Escudo sale sucked me in, and then I picked up an additional 4 oz of EMP for good measure. Plus some Gawith Hoggarth & Co Ennerdale and Bosun Cut Plug to try out. The video was pretty choice. Let's hope STG does pick up the Dunhill torch, eh @NicoleSTGLaneLtd ? I'm a good STG customer, working on my second tub of Casey Jones Hero's blend, have mercy on us, pitiful Dunhill customers.

• Options
    @mseddon -- How is the Hero's Blend from Casey Jones?
  • Options
    @motie2 Have tried both Hero's Blend and Last Ride, and find I somewhat prefer Last Ride.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Master
    edited February 2018
    @motie2 - I have had the pleasure of smoking both and found both to be great smokes.  The tobacco for me was a little to moist right out of the tub so after I dried it out some for a few hours, it lit and smoked great!  I think you will enjoy it as both are pleasant aromatics and have great room notes.  Planning on purchasing another tub of each later in the month to add to my stock. 
  • Options
    I'll put Last Ride on my "What will I try if I ever get tired of Barbados Plantation" list. Thanks.
  • Options
    Today was my first time to smoke Elizabethan Mixture. Unfortunately, I loved it. I have another tin or two coming from P&C, but I’m kinda regretting cracking open the tin I already had. That said, it’s now my favorite VA/Per... and I’m not a huge VA/Per fan. But, this stuff was so well balanced. Really enjoyed it. 
  • Options
    @jfreedy -- Have you tried Escudo? It was my favorite VaPer, back in the day....
  • Options
    I'm starting to use my cellar more now so being as I never tried Dunhill brand, I guess I'll never miss them.
  • Options
    @motie2 I'm a huge fan of Hero's Blend. It is a mild aromatic, with a vanilla top note. Produces loads of smooth smoke. It is my go-to last smoke of the day.

• Options
    @mseddon -- Thank you for responding. Duly noted.