Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Odd smell from Old Joe Krantz

I was recently gifted a couple ounces of Old Joe Krantz.  I had never tried it before (or any burley blend for that matter), but once I did, I quickly fell in love with it.  However, I've noticed that the smoke carries an acrid, ammonia aroma.  The smell does not stick around; it appears to be only from the initial smoke.  Is this normal for this blend?

Comments

• Options
    As a smoker of OJK, I haven't noticed an ammonia smell, but it's certainly acrid. Not the type of blend I'd smoke around the missus. While I'd say it's fine, keep an eye on the tobacco. C&D blends sometimes have a mold issue, but I've only run into it once, but not with OJK.
  • Options

"Odd smell from Old Joe Krantz" brings to mind several workplace situations I've found myself in over the years.

• Options
    @motie2 I see what you did there.  @thebadgerpiperI noticed no mold.  Guess that's just the way this blend is.  Its certainly not going to stop me from smoking it.
  • Options
    @WookieeJake Glad to hear there's no mold. I have a big jar of C&D's Three Friars I have to toss because of mold, but I've yet to do so out of grief.

OJK is a good blend, though. If you like it, try C&D's Haunted Bookshop, though it has more Burley than Perique.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper I'll have to give it a try.  As an aside, are you by chance a Brian Jacques fan?
  • Options
    @WookieeJake Yes I am, haha. I've read his entire Redwall series after picking up one of his books in 2010. I'm guessing you're a fan as well? If so, which one is your favorite?
  • Options
    @Thebadgerpiper I am indeed a fan.  Although I must confess, I've only read Redwall and Mossflower; and both of those were read around 20 years ago.  I do, however, still own both of those books and am thinking about revisiting them.
  • Options
    @WookieeJake You should, as they still hold up. I'd say read them, and if you want to read more, read Mattiimeo, Mauriel of Redwall, Salamandastron, Martin the Warrior, Outcast of Redwall, and Joseph the Bellmaker. The first half of the series is excellent. While I enjoy the whole series, they do tend to follow similar themes and plots, that some might grow tired of. I never did, though. Every time I'd start a new book, it was like going back to a place you love.

But Mattimeo is a direct sequel to the events of Redwall. Martin the Warrior is the prequel to Mossflower. The Legend of Luke, which comes later in the printing order, is a direct sequel to Mossflower. The other books mentioned take place after Mossflower, but before Redwall. Hope that's not too big of an info dump for you, I can talk a lot about Redwall.