Home Pipes & Tools

A Rare Corncob Pipe shape- The Corndog

Today I stopped in my local antique store and picked up an estate corncob pipe. I had seen the pipe there before, and while I thought it wasn't in the best condition, the pipe kept calling to me like a siren. The shape was unlike any corncob pipe I had ever encountered before, and when I searched for something similar on ebay, I came up empty. I was actually going to buy it two weeks ago, but couldn't find it. I decided to give one last look in the store today, and accept my losses if I couldn't find it. Luckily, fate was on my side, and I found the pipe tucked away on a shelf. I bought the pipe and took it home.

Before running into this pipe, I never knew Missouri Meerschaum produced a cob in the bulldog shape. When I did a search on the pipe, I didn't find much in the way of results for it. All I know is that it's an uncommon shape, and has the nickname "The Corndog." It's a shame MM doesn't make the shape today, as I think a cob bulldog has a nice look.

As you can see, the pipe isn't in the best condition with that groove around the outside of the pipe. Thankfully, it doesn't go to the bowl, so I should be able to use it after applying some elbow grease.

Comments

• @thebadgerpiper beautiful! I came across one of these at an antique shop in Little Rock, Arkansas. I am still kicking myself for not purchasing it!
  • So, tonight I started the process of cleaning up The Corndog when I ran into a conundrum. The stem wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner. I tried several before using my go-to solution for when a pipe cleaner won't pass- the pick on my pipe tool. Still, no matter how much I wiggled and pushed the pick, whatever is stuck inside wouldn't budge. Well, that's not too much of a problem. I can just order a replacement stem and use that.

But when I moved to cleaning the shank and bowl, I still couldn't get a pipe cleaner to pass. Stranger still, unlike all my other cobs, this cob has a thin metal tube of some sort that goes through the shank which wont fit my pick. My only option now is to use an old hairpin I have to try and see if I can get it to free whatever is stuck inside. I suppose I could look into trying to remove the metal tube, but for all I know, it could be glued inside. My best guess is that its clogged from years of use and not being cleaned.

I'm not really sure where to go from here if the hairpin wont work. I might go to the hardware store tomorrow in search of something that can fit through that I can try and carefully hammer inside. Otherwise, I might be out of luck with my new estate cob.
  • @thebadgerpiper that is a nice cob. I do dig the bulldogg shape and the diamon shank.
  • @thebadgerpiper A suggestion. Dip you pipe cleaner in grain alcohol and put it as far in the shank as possible. Find a way to stand it upright (shank up) and let the alcohol work on what ever is plugging the airway. It may be possible to dissolve some of the blockage that way.
  • @PappyJoe Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't tried it yet, but I'll follow that advice and see if that does the trick. I have a feeling that it will.

@Corey562 Thanks! I dig the diamond shank, too. I guess Missouri Meerschaum made diamond shank cobs until the 1980's. They should consider going back to making at least one in their lineup.
  • @thebadgerpiper Let us know when you are get the refurbishing finalized and how it smokes!
  • Nice pipe.  I did not know you could refurbish corn cobs.  How do you clean the bowl?
  • @Hiker007 Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I used the salt treatment on the bowl, and reamed most of the old cake out. That's been the easiest part of the restoration job.
  • So, an update on the Corndog restoration. I was able to clean out the airway in the shank and and the stem. With stem cleaning went well at first, using everclear to weaken the dried tar until it broke apart. However, I over saturated the stem in my zeal and part of the inner shank fell apart (which held the brass insert in place). For a moment, I thought I ruined the pipe, but thankfully about 65% of the inner shank still held in place. At the suggestion of Reborn Pipes (who I've been in email correspondence with), I used Elmer's white glue to place the brass insert back in place. It dried how I wanted, though I don't think I can get a pipe cleaner through from the stem all the way through. I'll have to remove the stem if I want to use a pipe cleaner.

The pipe stem wasn't clearing up after many attempts using everclear soaked pipe cleaners. I tried using a power drill with the smallest drill bits that I had. This did the job, and the stem cleared up. The stem could use a good buff, and I'll work on it once I invest in some buffing pads. I also used gorilla glue to fasten the Missouri Meerschaum sticker on the bottom of the pipe. The sticker was a bit loose, and I didn't want it to fall off.

Today, I decided to give the Corndog a test smoke. I filled the pipe with London Dock, lit it, and spent time watching the pipe and observing how it smoked. While the cob smokes like a champ, I found a new issue I have to clear up. If you notice in the picture below, there's a dark mark between the shank and the bowl. When I would puff, a little bit of smoke would leak through, which must mean that there's a small crack. I've contacted Reborn Pipes for some advice, but I think this should be an easy fix.

One little tidbit I did learn from Reborn Pipes is that the groove around the bowl of the pipe is there on purpose. Since it's a bulldog, Missouri Meerschaum gave it a ring around the bowl like a briar bulldog.
  • This is awesome! Glad that you were finally able to get it to smoke. Hopefully you are able to get all of the kinks out!