Home General
Options

Is your town famous for something?

Of course major cities are all famous but a lot of us live in smaller towns, my town Franklin Lakes is named for Ben Franklin's son who owned it at one time. The road I'm on was part of the Revolutionary War Freedom Trail. Washington never slept here and I shudder to reveal that 3 of the 4 "Housewives of New Jersey" live here as well as a lot of Sports types and Mafiosi.

What is your town Famous/ Infamous for?

Comments

• Options
    My town is famous for a few things. The original Peter Pan and JR Ewing hail from here; as well as those guys from Lonesome Dove. Oh, and the chuckwagon...
  • Options
    Mine is famous for the UNC Tar Heels
  • Options
    I live in Gary, Indiana which was once the Murder Capital of the United States, but the population has dwindled so much we no longer fit into the per capita format calculated to make the list. But on the positive side our city is mentioned in a tune from the musical "The Music Man".  And as for famous celebrities we have the whole musical Jackson clan ... Michael, his brothers making up The Jackson 5, and his two sisters (Janet the most popular and talented of the two). Actors include Academy Award winner Karl Malden, William Marshall (the two Blackula movies immediately come to mind), Avery Brooks (played Benjamin Sisko in the series "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine", and the character Hawk on the TV series "Spenser: For Hire" and the spin-off "A Man Called Hawk", and the movie "American History X"), and two professional football players turned actors Fred (The Hammer) Williamson, and Alex Karas (he played Mongo in Mel Brooks "Blazing Saddles").   
  • Options
    I consider Siloam Springs Arkansas my home town, though I moved to Texas when I was 27. Siloam is the first Arkansas town you hit coming east out of northern OK so there's a lot of through traffic. Siloam was in the Smithsonian top 20 list of small towns in 2012. If you find yourself passing through take time to check out the Sager creek park downtown.
  • Options
    I also need to add a few more items of interest besides UNC. James Taylor grew up in Boston. The family subsequently lived in Chapel HillNorth Carolina, where James' father became dean of the medical school of the University of North Carolina. First in Flight”-The Wright brothers, fathers of aviation, had their first successful flight on Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Biltmore Estate-the nation's largest private residence. I'm sure there is more to list but...
  • Options
    I'm sure there's more. Some good ones so far..
  • Options
    PhilosoPiperPhilosoPiper Connoisseur
    edited September 2017
    I have lived in several places, however Houston is now my home. And is famous for many things. Named after Sam Houston, was at one time the capitol of TX, home of multiple professional sports teams, flooding and most recently hurricane Harvey, the Houston Art Cars, home to the last super-bowl, the now most culturally diverse city in the US, on track to overtake Chicago as the 3rd largest city in the US, home of famed Blues artist Lighnin' Hopkins, NASA, the Astrodome, and much much more
  • Options
    The town I live in now saw Chicago gangsters vacationing here when they wanted to get away from the big city. I believe there was even a shoot out here at one point.
  • Options
    I am from Mulberry, FL which is named after a tree and known for being the phosphate capital of the world. 
  • Options

My home town has celebrities ranging from Senators, to professional athletes, to Hollywood actors. However what we are most famous for, is pulled pork barbeque. For years, I asked myself the same basic question, "Why is the pig smiling?" Every time you see a billboard for barbeque, the pig is grinning from ear to ear.

Finally one day it hit me. Just like the kamikaze pilots from World War II, there is no greater honor for a pig, than to lay down his life for a plate of barbeque. You want to talk about making mom and dad proud........

• Options
    I live in the Munising, Mi  area and it is known for Pictured rocks national lakeshore.
  • Options
    I live on Drummond Island, MI, and I don't think we're famous for anything, but I'm originally from Saginaw, and that's a bit more noteworthy. Lumber capital of the world in the mid-1800s, ranked pretty high on the FBI's most dangerous cities list, mentioned in song by the likes of Simon & Garfunkel and Lefty Frizzell, and birthplace of numerous famous people, including Stevie Wonder and Serena Williams.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited September 2017
    @Kilroy6644 -- Drummond Island has been described as "The #1 Place to Snowmobile." 

Also it's notable for the Marble Head Trail
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g42149-d12878895-Reviews-Marble_Head_Trail-Drummond_Island_Upper_Peninsula_Michigan.html
  • Options
    I was born in Atlantic City, where of course the world famous boardwalk and beach exists, and the HBO series "Boardwalk Empire" was written based on a local political boss of the 1920-30's "Nucky" Johnson. Additionally many, many stars performed in AC at various venues including the Steel Pier, Convention Hall, 500 Club, Club Harlem, etc. Larry Fine of the Three Stooges and his family lived year round in one of the more famous boardwalk hotels. Bud Abbott (Abbott and Costello) was from Atlantic City. Frank Sinatra often had gigs at the 500 Club, and supposedly Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis originally teamed up at the same club.The Miss America Pageant was here forever until leaving some years ago for a different venue, only to return again in the last several years. AC is famous for supposedly "inventing "salt water taffy, and of course was the first legal gaming mecca outside of Las Vegas where the city absolutely prospered for several years until east coast gambling spread to other states. AC was the "Worlds Favorite Playground", or at least advertised as such, in bygone years but today suffers from many of the urban social ills experienced by other cities nationwide. Atlantic City was once a wonderful and beautiful place to live.Now, not so much except in a few key locations.

I currently live in a small town which is literally 5 minutes from the AC beach and boardwalk. I can see the skyline clearly out of my windows lit up at night like a beacon. Many, many years ago our town was a summer encampment for the Lenni Lenape Indians who camped right in my current neighborhood where they fished, clammed, and harvested salt hay from our bay and meadows separating us from AC. It is hard to dig anywhere around here without digging into clam shells as it was written they had shell piles everywhere. I think the only really famous person from my current town is Michelle Maulkin, formerly of Fox News who went to the same catholic high school in town as did my two now grown children. 
  • Options
    Weel the small town of bethlehem is not famous except at Christmas we have about 200,000 post cards come through the post office to be mark.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Betlehem, Israel?

Corey?
  • Options
  • Options
    Small town about 45 min out side Atlanta and about 15 min outside Athens.
  • Options
    So I'm down here in San Antonio Texas, which is the obvious home of the Alamo and the burial place of the heroes who fought and died there. In my mind as big hero, and also buried here in San Antonio, is Roy Benavidez.
  • Options
    Modesto CA - Hometown to the film director who brought us the cruising culture of American Graffiti (set in Modesto), a galaxy far far away full of Jedi and my favorite Nazi hunting treasure seeker named Indiana Jones. It's also home to a pair of brothers named Ernest and Julio Gallo who create magic out of crushed grapes. Home to an Avenger by the name of Hawkeye and and Olympian by the name of Spitz. Lastly, it's home to the original city crusades of Billy Graham. 
  • Options
    "Home to an Avenger by the name of Hawkeye....."  Should have listed this first. One must attend to priorities...... ;) 
  • Options
    @motie2
    Sorry missed this reply back in September. I led with a Star Wars/IJ reference. I did attend to my priorities!  :p

• Options
    I'm from Philadelphia, PA, the birthplace of the USMC (1775), the USA (1776), the soft pretzel, the hoagie, and the cheesesteak.