Home General

Shared A Bowl With My Son Today

I never thought it would happen. Me sitting side-by-side with a fellow pipe smoker - after all these months of posting here that I've never seen another person smoke a pipe other than myself when looking in a mirror. And to be sharing a smoke with my son was an even doubly pleasurable experience than bumping into a complete stranger with a pipe in his mouth.

After months of prodding I finally convinced my son that smoking a pipe would be less harmful than his addiction to cigarettes. I even gave him a tin of Molto Dolce and Out Of Office "Gone Fishing" a month or so - but he had yet to try it. Then today he gave me a call and said he was coming over and asked if I was still willing to give him an old Grabow I promised, and he'd give pipe smoking a try. (He's been looking for a cheap starter pipe but all he could find at the local Walgreen's was a corn cob, and seemed to have an aversion to corn cobs ... but after a discussion I think I've changed his opinion of the lowly corn cob). 

Before he got here I made him up a starter kit with all the tools and accessories he'd need, including an array of different blends. And of course I included my Mrs. Hudson's 221B Bakery Blend (which was the blend he decided to start with).

We began with a lesson in packing the pipe, the char light, and all that jazz, then being a cigarette smoker the first thing he did was accidentally inhale and coughed up a lung. After he learned that lesson we moved on to sipping the pipe rather than puffin like a locomotive. He had trouble at first keeping the pipe lit, as did we all when we first started. And told him so. And also said not to be discouraged and relight as many times as needed until he gets a good rhythm. And eventually it will all come naturally. My only advise was to take it slow and be patient. It takes a little more work than smoking a cigarette. I felt like Yoda, training my young apprentice Luke Skywalker.

After a few minutes he seemed to enjoy it. Said it was relaxing.  And once I heard that I knew I had done my job.

He loved the flavor and smell. And I explained how much more flavorful a blend can be when retro-haling. After trying a few times he said it kind of freaked him out to discover how much more flavors came through by that simple act of blowing the smoke out his nose. And didn't understand why. Like most cigarette smokers he said he'd been blowing smoke out his nose while smoking a cigarette but never noticed that much of a difference in the flavor. He rattled off all the different flavor combinations of chocolate, vanilla, and caramel he was tasting through retro-haling, and I told him the flavors he was describing were the exact flavor combinations used in the blend. 

In the end he seemed to enjoy the experience - and I REALLY enjoyed the experience of sharing a bowl with my son. He seemed adamant about wanting to stop smoking cigarettes and thinks the pipe would be a perfect substitute. So maybe he'll stick with it.

Now I don't know if that makes me a bad parent by turning my son on to pipe smoking, rather than convince him to stop smoking altogether. Instead I simply persuaded him to trade one bad habit for another. But  I feel somewhat justified since he'd be smoking cigarettes anyway - and even though a pipe is not a risk free substitute, at least I feel it's less harmful than cigarettes. 

Plus, now I might just have a smoking buddy.          

Comments

• @ghostsofpompeii, good for you! Glad you convinced your son to get off the cigarettes and switch to a pipe I'm sure he will learn a lot from you being that you're a professor and all, let me be the first to congratulate him and welcome him to the community!
  • BonanzadriverBonanzadriver Master
    edited August 2017
    Good on ya Mate!

My son Nick has been my pipe pal ever since I started getting back into pipes last October. 

His older brother Seth also enjoys a pipe with us when he's in town.

Here's a pic of Nick with me @ our local B&M a couple of months ago...

[url=http://imgur.com/363kHs9][img]http://i.imgur.com/363kHs9.jpg[/img][/url]

The bottom shelf is his pipe collection

[url=http://imgur.com/L0Bdcvf][img]http://i.imgur.com/L0Bdcvf.jpg?1[/img][/url]

You're gonna love smokin a pipe with your son.  I know I sure do with mine.

• @ghostsofpompeii Congratulations! I'm not a parent yet, but I have to imagine what a satisfying and special experience that must be. You got to share your wisdom and pass down a long tradition to your son, as well as give him a pipe that he'll keep with him his whole life. When he sees that pipe years from now, he'll look back on that day he spend with you and remember it fondly.
  • Isn't this the them behind "Father the Flame"?
  • theme, not "them"
  • Congratulations. I introduced both of my sons to cigar smoking back in the mid-90s and then we all got into pipes together. Both of them are living in other parts of the state now so we don't see them very often but I cherish the time I get to sit and smoke a pipe with them. 
  • <<And of course I included my Mrs. Hudson's 221B Bakery Blend (which was the blend he decided to start with).>>

The apple doesn't fall very far from the tree, neh?  
    And, alternately, the Molto Dolce would be a great first aromatic.
    What would y'all say is the best first non-aromatic for a beginner?

@mfresa -- I did that, too. [
    theme, not "them"]  Use the new edit wheel......
  • I taught my son how to smoke a pipe in the smoking tent of the Chicago Pipe Show about three years ago. He just finished his first tin! Basically he enjoys a pipe at the CPCC meetings. It is fun to have something to share with him. I have many blends he could try, but he like what he has. 
  • Great thing to occur.
  • mfresamfresa Master
    edited August 2017
    @motie2, I'll do my best. Oh, that's what that little wheel is for, eh?  OK.
  • @motie2 I actually don't think of Carter Hall as an aromatic, to me it's more of a straight burley blend - and I think that would probably be a good blend for a person to start on. Burns well and easy to keep lit since it's not a goopy heavily cased aromatic. And best of all no bite. I almost steered my son to the Carter Hall I have but went straight for my favorite heavily cased aromatics. Poor kid will probably have trouble keeping them goopy blends lit. 
  • Carter Hall is a good tobacco to start with, it is not classified as an aromatic, it's a burley/virginia blend.
  • @Pipeman83 Next time I talk to my son I'll ask him if he's still having trouble keeping his pipe going. If so I'll take your advise and steer him in the direction of Carter Hall. At least until he gets the hang of it. I want to make this a pleasant experience for him and not frustrating. I know what a pain in the ass it was for me to keep my pipe lit when I first started.
  • @ghostsofpompeii, Carter Hall stays lit if you pack it correctly, and no tongue bite, does he know the 3 step method?
  • motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2017
    According to Tobacco Review, Carter Hall is "flavored with Bourbon, Cocoa / Chocolate."

What makes a "flavored" tobacco not an aromatic?  What makes an aro and aro? Casing? Top dressing?

Is this an explanation?   http://www.talkingtobacco.com/2014/07/about-aromatics/

<<Many people say that they don’t smoke cased tobaccos at all. You may think that this is a true statement when in actuality it’s probably not. Almost all Virginias and Burleys have some kind of casing added to make them more palatable. What you may really mean is that you don’t smoke tobaccos that have been top-dressed. This is an area of confusion for many, if not most pipe smokers. Casing has a subtle influence on flavor, and usually very little influence on aroma. Casings are applied early on in processing, and the tobacco is dried back to a normal level using heat. Top-dressings are applied at the end, and use alcohol or some other carrier to infuse the tobacco, which is then allowed to dry naturally. Top-dressings don’t impact flavor very much at all, but they are what you smell when someone is smoking an aromatic.>>

• I've never considered Carter Hall as an Aromatic, It doesn't smell bad but, doesn't come over as an Aro.. It is one of the dependable smooth smokers and a real go to for me.
  • @Woodsman,I agree,Carter Hall is a go to for me too, I have tub of it.
  • Seems like the kid is sticking with the hobby after all. Sure am happy to see him cut down on his cigarettes. He's taken a real liking to Sutliff Vanilla Custard which is why I bought an additional 4oz with my last order to P&C even though I probably have enough to last me a lifetime. Might just jar it up as a Christmas gift for him. 
  • I have not shared a bowl with my son as he is only 13 but I have drug him out to the shop to start learning how to make pipes maybe one day he may take up the joy of smoking one but that day is a long way off I hope.
  • Mine are 38 (Caligula) and 40 (Ritchie Cunningham). Caligula is perpetually quitting cigarettes, and Ritchie doesn't smoke. I gave up the pipe when both were in early elementary school, and didn't resume until the end of last summer. My father was a three pack a day Camels smoker; my mother was a pack a day Chesterfield smoker. I remember being sent to the grocery store with a quarter and a dime for a pack of Chesterfields. My father bought his by the carton. I didn't smoke until freshman year of college, when I took up the pipe because others were doing the same. This is just before marihuana hit campus. Our dorm was a dorm filled with pipe smokers. There was a pattern: newbies smoked aromatics, and then slowly shifted to English/Orientals and Va/Pers as sophomores and juniors. All the seniors had "better" pipes and smoked non-aros. 

@Corey562 - I applaud your intention to pass your skills on to another.
  • Tried posting this picture yesterday but wasn't able to so I'll try again today.

Here is the son I introduced to pipe smoking as a way to get him to cut back (and hopefully stop) smoking cigarettes. Next time I hope to have a picture of us smoking together.

• @Motie2 It's funny you refer to your boys as Ritchie Cunningham and Caligula - that pretty much sums up my boys too. The son in the picture above with me is a registered nurse and one in the next set of pictures started out as a bouncer in a strip club and worked his way to manager. My Grandfather would be proud of him. He has definitely carried on the Sicilian family tradition as someone nice to have around when there is trouble. 

• @ghostsofpompeii -- Like I said, elsewhere: we may be twin brothers from different mothers.....
  • @ghostsofpompeii -- .....and you do look sharp: Sharp cut suit, black dress shirt, razor cut hair, one Michael, one Sonny, Sicilian heritage.... I get it!!!! :) 
  • According to Tobacco Review, Carter Hall is "flavored with Bourbon, Cocoa / Chocolate."

What makes a "flavored" tobacco not an aromatic?  What makes an aro and aro? Casing? Top dressing?

Is this an explanation?   http://www.talkingtobacco.com/2014/07/about-aromatics/

<<Many people say that they don’t smoke cased tobaccos at all. You may think that this is a true statement when in actuality it’s probably not. Almost all Virginias and Burleys have some kind of casing added to make them more palatable. What you may really mean is that you don’t smoke tobaccos that have been top-dressed. This is an area of confusion for many, if not most pipe smokers. Casing has a subtle influence on flavor, and usually very little influence on aroma. Casings are applied early on in processing, and the tobacco is dried back to a normal level using heat. Top-dressings are applied at the end, and use alcohol or some other carrier to infuse the tobacco, which is then allowed to dry naturally. Top-dressings don’t impact flavor very much at all, but they are what you smell when someone is smoking an aromatic.>>