Home General
Options

Is it too hot outside to smoke your pipe?

Maybe its me but, when it gets so hot and humid some days as it can here in sunny North Carolina, i just can't get in the mood to smoke my pipe.  Seems all conditions have to be right for me to really be able to enjoy a good pipe and when its way to hot, im just not interested.  Anyone else feel like this?

Comments

• Options
    @Londy3 -- Here in Northern NJ, it's been rainy and humid rather than beastly hot most of this summer. But truth be told, even extreme heat won't stop me, because Spring/Summer/Fall are the only times I can smoke because SWMBO won't let me smoke inside, and freezing cold puts me off smoking outside more than, say, 95 degree weather.
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    I'd try and work on a reasonable accommodation where you can enjoy your pipe in the comfort of your home. Moderation is the key. Start with a single bowl of something like Lane's 1Q
    and take it from there. IMO Cigars are better in hot, humid weather. B)
  • Options
    Occasionally, i burn a bowl in my home office and whats really cool about this is that you cant smell it afterwards.  There is no linger in the air, drapes, furniture or clothes like you would smoking a cigar or cigarette.  I dont do it that often however.  In a given week I probably only have 3 bowls due to the above mentioned.
  • Options
    SwmaplesSwmaples Apprentice
    I do not enjoy smoking in the hot weather either. I'm in the Dallas area, summer temps can get intense.  We have an outdoor fan/mister that helps.  Often just being in the shade with a breeze from the fan is good enough. Kicking on the mist will lower the temp a bit if you don't mind a little water vapor.  
  • Options

@Londy3 About forty years ago I found myself between jobs when I was laid off from the Steel Mill, and I ended up working for my Uncle in construction. He owned a company that put sewer and drainage systems in new subdivisions. So it was hard work and in direct sunlight. It was quite a strange transition from working indoors in a steel mill to outside in the open air. And in the mill we were required to wear a lot of safety gear from hat hats and goggles to green fire retardant suits. But working with my Uncle in construction the guys had their shirts off, no safety gear to speak of, and they even drank beer during their lunch break. Something that would have gotten me fired at US Steel.

Since I'm Italian I can get pretty dark when I tan and never really had a sunburn. So I followed the lead of the other workmen, took off my shirt and went about the job. Working under direct sunlight for 8 steady hours. Needless to say - these guys had been baking their skin for months ... and I was a newbie not used to being shirtless for that long a time. And the end result was a combination of first, second, and third degree burns on my back. I still have the scars to prove it. Well after that horrible ordeal I never sat outdoor with my shirt off again - and once I was back at work at the Steel Mill my time outdoors was very limited. Even my days off I didn't spend much time outdoors. And when I did outdoor activities I assure you sunbathing wasn't one of them. So for years it was probably hard to tell I was Italian because my olive completion had become about as pale as a vampire. And once my beard started going gray I was beginning to look washed out and sickly. When my relatives would see me they thought I was in the process of dying. 

So I've made it a habit of taking my pipe outside each afternoon no matter what the temperature, set myself in a chair facing direct sunlight, and started absorbing the rays of the sun, getting a little natural vitamin D, and putting some much needed color back into my face. So I presently have what's commonly referred to as a farmer's tan ... both arms, face and neck darkly tanned ... and nothing more. So sitting outside in the direct sun smoking my pipe, even when it's in the mid-90s', isn't a problem for me. I'd actually rather smoke then  because the mosquitoes are not out. Of course I'm no fool and prefer weather in the 70s' ... but I can't always get my way. Now as for the type of weather you're describing in North Carolina - hot & humid would be an altogether different animal ... and I'd have a problem sitting out there when it's hard to breath because of the humidity and oppressive heat. Hopefully when the sun goes down and a nice breeze blows your way you can get a break and enjoy an evening smoke.       

• Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited August 2017

@ghostsofpompeii, Hey there pisan, i too am Italiano. I tend to burn at first as well then darken fairly well compared to my family up north.  At any rate, i am not one to just sit in the sun and not do anything, like going to the beach, i cant just sit on the sand and bake.  When I smoke my pipe, the goal is to be comfortable, relax, unwind.

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- The Carcinoma Angels show up decades after severe sunburn. Have a dermatologist give your bod a once over. 
  • Options
    I sit outside in the shade if the temperature isn't above 85, I can and do sit out in much lower numbers.
  • Options
    This summer hasn't been too bad in Illinois, with temperatures sticking around the mid 80's at most. However, the humidity has more than made up for it. By the time I finish smoking my pipe for the evening, I'm ready to get back inside and sit in front of the air conditioning vent.
  • Options
    I have a nice shade tree in the front yard. It usually feels 5 or 10 degrees cooler - even more if a nice breeze is present - under the tree. I have also been know to set my shop fan about 10 feet away from the bench and turn it on to provide a breeze. I can usually be seen sitting on the bench or in an outdoor rocking chair around 4 pm every afternoon.
  • Options
    Hotter the better for me, I smoke outside most of the time, if it gets cold I have to go to Cigar lounge to smoke and most of the time I smoke Cigars there. I have be known to smoke and drink in the pool if it is to humid outside or I just want to relax, never to hot for me!
  • Options
    If it's humid or both hot and humid, I just can't enjoy smoking my pipe.  Then again, I don't enjoy much of anything under those conditions other than the chilly waters of the Atlantic and the beach me and my family go to in Rhode Island.
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    I have to say when it's real humid I stay inside.So at those times my cigars
    are on the back burner.But I have a covered screened in porch so that
    in a storm I can sit "out" and enjoy the light show.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I'm in Fort Worth and this has been a hot humid summer making it almost impossible for me to smoke anything outside during the day.  If I have shade and a breeze I will smoke in just about any heat but I lost that this summer and the few times its been nice enough to be outside its been raining...  However, the nights are normally not to bad and if I can't sleep I'll slip outside and enjoy the peace and quiet.
  • Options
    mseddonmseddon Professor
    You gotta be committed!!! Actually, my willingness to smoke outside whilst sweating like nobody's business makes me wonder if I'm addicted. This morning I'm out on my porch with some Early Morning Pipe doing battle with the sun. I brought a cool pair of solar binoculars that I bought for eclipse viewing and when the sun peaks out of the clouds, I whip out the binoculars, which, the world being perverse, tends to send the sun back behind the clouds. 
  • Options
    It's been a cooler than normal August in NE Ohio, I'll go out occasionally but most of the time I'm inside with my pipe.
  • Options
    It has rained -- at least overnight if not during business hours -- every freakin' day this summer. Even the skeeters are soggy.....
  • Options
    @motie2

Motie, it has been SO humid here in South Jersey this summer.....and we have had many days over 90 degrees so far with a lot of rain. We are right on the bay here between AC and the mainland. A lot of mornings the fog and dew are so heavy it feels as if you can't breathe. On really hot and humid days, with a low tide, the natural "methane" odor is quite prevalent, I can't wait until fall. But, I am not complaining, I always returned to my roots here
  • Options
    We just had another soaking downpour as evening commenced. 

Gotta check the sump.
  • Options
    Not having a screened porch I find that smoking out on the deck this time of year is a beat down.  I am an frickin mosquito magnet!

With todays temps being 100 and a heat index around 110, I had absolutely no desire to smoke outdoors.

So I'm sittin up in the mancave, exhaust fan on, Thermostat set on 74, and thoroughly enjoyin my briars.  B)
  • Options
    Yeah, it's been super hot here in NC this summer and I have very little desire to burn a bowl. So, I have been online reading about pipes, watching videos and just bought three new tobaccos and have three new pipes in the way.  One is a Rossi Rubino 128. I love my other Rossi so I had to get this one too. 
  • Options
    OKAY, you guys win ... today was just too damn hot and humid to smoke an entire bowl. I got halfway through then made a beeline back into the air conditioned house.
  • Options
    Me too, 88 degrees! smoked half a bowl of CH, wanted to see if it would get dark from the eclipse, nothing in Cleveland, went back inside.
  • Options
    I actually enjoyed the eclipse with my new cobbit churchwarden with some LL7.  Liked it!
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    I live in Central Florida and it has been too hot for either a pipe or a cigar.  I have used more snus this past two weeks, than I have smoked.  
  • Options
    Tonight is perfect for the screen porch, Last night was fantastic with the massive line of Thunder Storms that came through. On hot days I usually wait till after 11 PM when it's cooler. I made a "Swamp Cooler" from a 5 Gallon pail that can drop the temp up to 20 Degrees, if it's real high humidity I freeze a quart of water to put in it and that cools down much faster. I made it to run on 12 Volts so I can take it camping running off a tractor battery. It.s kind of beat up and the pump's getting weak so it's going to be rebuilt.
    '
  • Options
    I usually just sit on the front porch in the swing, if it get real humid I just migrate to my work shop and hit the ceiling fan and the small window unit and relax there.