Home General
Options

PIPES FOR VETERANS

OK I am doing a Pipe for Veterans thing, I have been working on this on my own for a year now.  I buy or have people donate new and old pipes, I clean them and/or fix them if needed and give them to local veterans in my area which Includes the Tri-State area of Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio.
If you have old left over pipes you do not use for any reason (even if they are broken) Please send them to me.
Address is:
Brad Brown
5290 Napoleon Zion Station Rd.
Dry Ridge, KY.  41035

I would love to get this going in Other States so if you want to join in please let me know.  I am working on a Facebook page and a Website and would love to get more people involved in this. 
Down the road I would like to be able to buy or have donated pipe cleaning supplies (pipe cleaners, Tampers and such) and some tobacco which I am hoping to get the Tobacco companies to donate.  
I am also donating some of the Pipes I make but have a shortage of stems so anyone that has stems laying around we would appreciate them as well.
Again if your interested in helping with this in your area please contact me ASAP, Just send me a Private Message on this site. 

Thanks, Brad aka Wolf41035

Comments

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Hey! God bless you in your endeavor!!! What a swell idea....
  • Options
    Great idea, I'll see what I've got around.
  • Options
    You are not alone. 
    One of my twitter followers is Veterans Pipes (@Pipes4Veterans)

Their facebook page is Pipes for Veterans @Pipes4Vets

• Options
    Just saw this thread. 

Good on ya mate!  I love that you and others do this for our military vets as well as active duty folk.

I just mailed off 4 restored estates to Dave Shain of Shaintiques last week.  He sends em off to active duty military folks abroad as well as vets and, if he has any extras, noobs.

I seem to be pickin up and rejuvenating a few pipes a month and will keep you in mind the next time I've got a few extras / duplicates.

Dino
  • Options
    xDutchxxDutchx Master
    Wolf, I will check and see if I happen to have any unsmoked pipes laying around when I get home day after tomorrow.
  • Options
    Sorry was offline.  I will go to the message and let you know the address. 
    We appreciate your donations. 

@PappyJoe that ID is mine, I started it just for the Pipes for Veterans.  Twitter and Instagram plus a facebook account, we will be building a website this weekend if all goes good. 
  • Options
    OK Next week we are looking at a couple locations so we can get a permanent address, if we can find a good one we will be stopping at the post office to check on prices for the larger p. o. boxes.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Sir,
    Do you know if the new Government regulations would effect giving away tobacco products? Better get an opinion of someone who knows, not just what we hope is the case. 
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Since I'm distracted so easily I been digging around trying to find a easy answer to my above question. Stupid me, nothing is easy. 

Pipes themselves are classified under the "tobacco products" section, which by the way I feel terrible for small pipemakers, so they would be regulated and would not be able to be given away free. But that applies to retailers, so I'm not sure how that would apply to Joe-Schmoe. That's where the legality becomes much too complex for me. I'm pretty sure one person can give another person a pipe as long as they have reached a majority, but can an organization? I would think flying under the radar would be prudent at this point but make sure you have your ducks in a row. 

What got me thinking was if you were to also send tobacco with the pipes, that might not be possible, which I thought would be a good idea. What if someone could "sponsor" a veteran? You know, send them a care package. Your organization would merely be facilitating in the putting together and shipment of the package. I often send cigars overseas via military friends of mine to pass out amongst the troops, I can't imagine that's against the law but I'm not sure if it would be were it a business entity. By the way if you claim nonprofit status you would have to register with the government, have a board of directors, file incorporation paperwork and apply for tax exempt status. 

By now I'm sure you hate the government as much as I do. 

I'm thinking a club where some members give gifts to other members. 
  • Options
    @Philip I am already ahead of you, I have two lawyers working on legalities on this and as of now we are just having people send us pipes to give to Veterans which as of now is still legal to do.
    I love the ideal of giving them tobacco but that is another problem to be worried about later. I have thought we could put gift cards in the box which would allow the vets to use them for tobacco.   Always a loop hole somewhere! 
    I didn't just jump into this, I have been working on this for a couple years now and have talked to several lawyers.

Yes I do hate the regulations from the Government at times! 

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Wonderful, glad to hear it. If it were me probably the only thing that would scare me is if I mistakenly gave tobacco to a minor. I don't think there would be any wiggle room to get out of that. They would make me out to be the devil no matter how careful I was.

I also see the new post you have on the subject. I can tell you have actually put a lot of thought into it. 
  • Options
    Yes I have and yes giving anything to a minor should scare everyone.  lol 
    I used to serve this Country and now I can't, I want to give back like I was given back when I served.  Just a hand shake or a thanks is great but giving something to them while they are in or giving to the ones that are now out just feels so much better.
  • Options
    @wofl41035 Have you been in touch with the guys over at Briar Nation? They send pipes/tobacco to active duty military overseas. Seems like it'd a great opportunity for partnership.
  • Options
    @NicoleSTGLaneLtd thanks for the information I will give them a shout.  We like to send pipes to all Veterans not just the ones overseas but maybe I can work something out with these guys and help us both out.

• Options
    Been busy with websites and contacting sponsors for our page and or mission, things are going good.
  • Options
    We have had a few donations, I have made a few pipes and I have a few promised to our cause, not doing to bad.  I have already contacted a few Veterans about the pipes I have ready to go.
  • Options
    We have been doing good, hope to get some pictures posted soon but a lot going on right now including some family person issues.
  • Options
    Great; Keep us posted.
  • Options
    I have pictures but having problems getting them off my phone and onto this PC.  I have given away 5 pipes to Veterans already and have a couple more lined up for pipes.
  • Options
    Been involved with a similar effort for years and have donated many pipe and cigars
  • Options
    AceFourAceFour Master
    I've done cigar for warriors but this is fantastic.  Will send some pipes this weekend
  • Options
    I'm a little slow but finally sent out two pipes today
  • Options
  • Options
    I have a box of estate pipes I've been meaning to clean and donate to one of the groups sending pipes to service members. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to do the work myself so they are still sitting on my workbench.