Home General
Options

Tobacco Recipes

drac2485drac2485 Professor

With the FDA regs that are shortly going into effect, I was wondering what if anyone knows of blends that will no longer be produced, and missed, especially some of the new ones that are just being released.  Anyone else think it would be cool if come companies released recipe books and sold the individual tobaccos so you can blend your own?  I know some kind of already do this by selling their blending tobaccos but with some of the newer blends possibly going away wouldn’t it be cool if they told us how to make them?

Comments

• Options
    KirbybKirbyb Newcomer

100's of blends could disappear unfortunately, shoot, there has been a rash of new releases in the last few weeks that are drawing rave reviews. GLP has had three of them, C&D as well.

Pipes & cigars just announced that the blend of the month program is going away and that the Marquee series will likely do the same, although not as quickly. I picked up 6 tins of Magnum Opus just in case.

We have 2 years before it all kicks in if nothing changes, but I would suspect that manufacturers will start phasing out brands before that if the writing stays on the wall.

If you want to experiment, Smokingpipes.com has a blending kit all put together for you, with recipes.

• Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @Kirbyb Those new releases, especially C&D and GLP are the ones I'm thinking of and I'm to broke to buy them right now. I actually have bought at least 8oz of each of C&D's blending tobaccos a while ago to be able to experiment, just haven't gotten around to it.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2018

REPOST: Once again, for newcomers, and for any aromatic smoker who hasn't tried it....

Our own @Ghostsofpompeii is always coming up with a new combination of tobacco blends. He's even into "stacking" (packing layers of different blends/flavors in one bowl).

In my humble opinion, this is his finest creation::

Mrs. Hudson's 221B Bakery Street Blend

Sherlock Holmes probably smoked a strong English blend. Naming a sweet aromatic after him would be inappropriate and ungentlemanly. The name Mrs. Hudson’s is a reference to Sherlock Holmes' landlady.

Mrs. Hudson’s is made from Sutliff bulk tobaccos, sold by the ounce,

and blended together as follows:

Three parts (or 3 oz.) Sutliff Vanilla Custard

Two parts (or 2 oz.) Sutliff Chocolate Mousse

One part (or 1 oz.) Sutliff Crème Brulee

Some folks prefer to substitute one part (or 1 oz.) Sutliff Private Stock Molto Dolce (tin) for the very similar Creme Brûlée.

Historical note: The original recipe called for “....a pinch or two of Sutliff Irish Creme.” @Ghostsofpompeii says it could be omitted without harming the blend.

Mrs. Hudson's 221B Bakery Street Blend — easy to light and keep lit, great taste, smell, and room note; no bite, no goop, and no

negative ghosting.