Home Pipes & Tools

Stans, Petes, and Savs

Stanwell, Peterson, and Savinelli are all popular brands in the mid-price range. Each of them has their own fans.
I've got three Stans, of differing vintage, but all from when the factory was still in Denmark. I've got 2 Petes - one a 2014 PotY, the other an old "Irish Second", from the days when those were sold here. I don't own a Sav.
How about the rest of you? Have you got a clear favorite?

Comments

• drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I'm in love with Peterson's and they make up the majority of my collection thanks to my PAD, I think I have about 50.  I do like Savinelli and have several of varying shapes that Peterson doesn't make, at least any more.  I have 1 Stanwell Vario and it's not a bad pipe but it's a 9mm filter and I'm still out on filter pipes.  My favorite is Peterson hands down, it was the first non-basket pipe I bought and I love the classic shapes they offer with the varying stains and colors.
  • crapgamecrapgame Newcomer
    I love stans...want a peterson and savs i have had horrible experiences with!
  • I have one Pete with another supposedly on the way, but all my others are pretty much hand crafted pipes. Some are fantastic, others eh.
  • I'm a fan of not just Savinelli's (5) but Meerschaums (6) and Missouri Meerschaum cobs (6). I also have pipes from five other Italian carvers - Rinaldo, Mastro de Paja, Mastro de Beraldi, Stefano Santambrogio and Mauro Armellini. I've seen a lot of people who favor Peterson's but I've also talked and have read a lot of people who have had problems with Petersons.
  • Petes have had a rep of being hard to break in because of the bowl coating. I had no trouble with the 2014 PotY I bought myself for Christmas last year. It's been so long since I got my Irish Second that I don't remember.
    I've heard other stories, too, about quality issues, but also know they have plenty of fans.
  • love my stanwell, just hate the price for a machine made pipe.
  • I love Savs , have several of them , all big,love the Hercules series.
  • piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    I have to say I am a huge Peterson fan, I was bitten by the curse or what ever it is. I love my Peterson pipes. My only concern lately is the quality, it has slipped. I hope this comes back with the factory being recently bought. We will see...
  • @piperdave - I too am a big Pete fan. I think the quality will come back with their recent purchase. I will say, I received a Peterson for Christmas this year, and it seems to be the same quality as mine from the 90s.

• mapletopmapletop Master
    edited February 2019
    Definitely love my Stans and Perersons best of the three, have a couple of Savs that smoke quite well, but Stanwells particularly the 15 shape (have 4 now) our my favorites
  • Having many pipes of many makers, I find that each and every pipe is unique like a snowflake. If it smokes well and is drilled well it is fine with me.
  • @piperdave - My first Peterson is a Kapp-Royal made for Iwan Ries that I found in a junk shop. I enjoy it so much I decided to buy a new Peterson for my birthday in January. The drill is high in the stumble so it won't pass a pipe cleaner but it has a good draw and it doesn't gurgle. It too is a good smoker. 
  • I'm a huge fan of all three companies.

Hands down, Peterson is my favorite pipe company. I've been fortunate to visit their store in Ireland twice (and hopefully a third time this year), and it's an incredible place. Never had a problem breaking any of my new Pete's in, and only one has given me trouble due to not passing a pipe cleaner (I still like it). For me, Peterson shapes are the quintessential pipe shapes, and I love their finishes. At last count, I have 9 Pete's.

Stanwell makes some of the best value pipes on the market. I recommend them to anyone starting out that wants an affordable briar pipe. I have 4 Stanwells, and I'll definitely pick more of 'em up in years to come.

All my Savinelli pipes have been estate pipes, but I have nothing but positive things to say about them. I have one I have to clean up, but I have confidence it'll be just as good as the others.
  • Though I'm all about diversity in my pipe collection, Savinelli is far and away the most prevalent.  This is my latest addition, purchased in celebration of IPSD:  A Savinelli Canadian Tortuga that I will start breaking in this morning.

• I'm pretty much anti-diversity in my pipe collection: fourteen pipes, one of which is not an E.A. Carey, and that one is a Duncan Hill Aerosphere, distributed by Carey.

That probably makes me a weirdo.
  • @motie2
    Nope,  I’d say “You like what you like”.  👍🏻😀
  • Although I do have favorites, I agree with @Danfriedman. If the mechanics are good, and I enjoy the feel and look; the name (or no-name) means nothing to me...
    But yes, I do have Stands, Pete's & Savs...

• I'm a horror and mystery fan so what I like most about Peterson is their themed series of pipes like "The Sherlock Holmes" series, "The Dracula" series, and the "The Jekyll & Hyde" pipe. Don't own anything from the Homes series, but I have a Dracula and Jekyll & Hyde and both smoke just fine. 
  • @ghostsofpompeii I agree that Peterson has some great themes for their pipes. I love their Holmes line.
    edited February 2019
    @thebadgerpiper Agreed, I just recently purchased my first Pete in the Holmes series, The Baker Street. Totally love it and now deciding which to save up for next. :)

@judandhispipe That is a sweet 321, is that the same size as a standard 320? It appears a bit smaller which in my opinion would be better for clenching. Very nice looking pipe though. I do like to have the balsa filter at times when I enjoy a tobacco with small pieces.
  • I bought one Peterson and unfortunately the quality wasn't all there, the stem was "warped". I've been a big Savi fan. In fact, I just received my latest addition today! Savinelli Regimental 128.

• @piperdave That's a beautiful Pete! I think I'll keep an eye out for a Holmes pipe the next time I'm looking for a Pete.

@Oddjob27 You should consider looking for an online pipe repairman to see if they can fix up that stem for you. On one of my Pete's, the lip of my stem broke, but Lonestar Pipe Repair was able to fix it up brand new for me.
  • "That is a sweet 321, is that the same size as a standard 320? "

@piperdave - it's a bit smaller than a 320, from the info I have. It's a very nice pipe indeed.
    @thebadgerpiper @Oddjob27 I use Mike Walker Pipe Repair for all of my needed repairs or services. I highly recommend. Excellent service and quality. ;)
  • Thanks for the suggestion @piperdave . I have a rare cob that is in a desperate need of repair, and I have no idea if it can honestly be fixed. Can't hurt to send him an email.
  • @thebadgerpiper
    I do most of my own pipe repairs, but I did send one special Peterson to Mike to have a new stem fit.  Great work.  His method does not endanger the shank stamping, and there are no over-sanding concerns when he matches stem to shank.
  • I've been collecting pipes since the early 1970's -  started with Caminettos, Savinelli Autographs, Ben Wade, Barling and Saseine pipes. I the early 1980's I sold all of my collection of Autographs and Charatans, in the mid 80's sold all my Barlings, a few Caminettos  and a few others - kept the Ben Wades. My current collection consists of about 52 pipes - Comoy (pre 1980's), GBD (pre 1980's), Peterson (mid 1980's), Stanwell (all pre 1980's), Nording freehands (mid 80's), Ben Wade (early 1970's), Prebenholm (early 70's), Brebbia (mid 70's) and Savinelli (early 1970's through current production.

Without a doubt the Savinellis, in my opinion, are the finest smoking pipes ever made. Quality is exceptional and consistent from the lowest priced Roma line to the Giubileo d'Oro. The worst pipes, in my opinion, is Peterson. I only own 2 and thats more than enough.