Home Tobacco Talk

What are you guys smoking right Now?

Comments

• @KA9FFJ;
    To stash or not to stash. You look good either way, with a slight advantage on the stash side.
  • KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited May 2022
    Bad camera on my phone, but here's the moon at total eclipse (known as blood moon)...

• Londy3Londy3 Master
    @KA9FFJ
    That's really cool.
    Oh, by the way, check your inbox
  • mfresamfresa Master
    Smoking Edisto in my new egg.  This tobacco is growing on me.
  • I'm tellin' ya', Edisto is an excellent blend, no doubt about it. I love it.

• mfresamfresa Master
    @vtgrad2003, Edisto seems to be getting tangier/tangy-er, with a little age.  Seemed mild right out of the tin, but it is getting stronger by the week.  Maybe I'll buy some more in future.  I have some other blends I have to work through first, though.  My cellar is getting full.
  • Londy3Londy3 Master
    Oak Alley in my Marrone with a little VooDoo ☠️

• For some reason I could not log in yesterday…it said I needed to be in the US…well….I think Montana is in the US still. It looks like it’s working now👍🏻.

Smoked some Eight State Burley 2022 in a MM Marcus last evening.
  • KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    @Londy3
    Good looking pipe you have there...
  • KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Lane Buttered Rum in a reworked/restemmed Tinderbox...

• @RockyMountainBriar I had the same problem yesterday.
  • @KA9FFJ that pipe is a beauty sir.
  • edited May 2022
    Smoking some C&D “Espresso” in my Musico Dublin/Zulu-Lovat.  I am pairing it with a filthy gin (“Anselmo” by Headframe Spirits Distillery in Butte, Montana) martini loaded with eight olives this evening.  I am polishing off the last 3oz. in the bottle.  It may not be the best pairing, but I like them both….so it works🙂
    I started out with some Sutliff Cherry Cavendish, but I dumped it after just a few minutes.  Sutliff tobaccos burn hot and wet as hell for me everytime.  I might as well suck on a teapot while it’s whistling.
  • Yesterday, I finished off my tin of Capstan Blue flake I purchased in July 2016. I'm going to miss it.
    I followed that last bowl with one of Tinderbox's Sunset Rum.

My tobacco rotation now consists of:
    Kramer Extra Smooth
    The Untouchables
    Vauen Jubileum 150
    Tinderbox Sunset Rum
    Tinderbox Peach Melba
    C&D Sea Dog

I only have one or two bowls of the Sunset Rum and Jubileum left and then I'll open something else.
  • KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    @PappyJoe
    I know you already know this, but for the benefit of a few who might not, I'll comment to your/our Sutliff problem.
    I believe the reason most Sutliff blends tend to smoke hot is indirectly related to its wetness. This reasoning is IMHO, because I tend to puff faster to keep the bowl lit.
    Anyway, I've found that by allowing a bowls worth of tobacco to sit out for 24+ hours, it tends to dry enough to allow me to puff slower with fewer relights, hence a cooler smoke.
    Granted, it can be a hassle and requires preplanning, but worth it to me.
    I have some bulk Sutliff on the way as I text this. My experiment will be to let the entire 4 oz. sit out until it drys to my liking, THEN jar it. 
    If that works, a lot of presmoke hassle will be avoided... We'll see...
  • I’ve let some of my Sutliff “Special Reserve” tobaccos air out for a week or better and they never did dry out, and the Montana prairie “ain’t” exactly known for it’s high humidity.  I think I will let the Strawberry Cavendish air out some more, although it is much drier than when it was fresh.  There was barely any aromatic strawberry left in it as it was.  When I dumped the bowl, only about 1/4-1/3 had been smoked and the rest was just soaked and there was a pool in the heel if my pipe.  The C&D “Espresso” I loaded was actually more moist out of the tin, much more actually, and it burned to ash.  
  • KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited May 2022
    While working in the garage, some Sutliff Taste of Summer in a real work horse MM cob...

• mfresamfresa Master
     CS Angry Cornishman in my new egg.
  • Don't you like perfect smokes?
    My first bowl was the last of my Tinderbox Sunset Rum in a Stanwell HCA I won from TPL a couple of months after I joined the forum (thanks @NicoleSTGLaneLtd)
    The second bowl was the last of my Tinderbox Peach Melba in a RD Powell bent bollard.

What made them perfect smokes? 

When you finish the bowl and you can just pour out the ashes in a steady stream without using a tamper and there is no dottle. The first bowl lasted a little over an hour. The second bowl lasted about 1 hr. 20 minutes. 

Had a couple of ounces of First Call Kentucky Straight (90 proof) Bourbon with both. 
  • @addamsruspipe That's an attractive briar you have there.
  • Had to drive 50 miles out to where the equipment for the pipe making seminar is stored,(50 miles you ask? It has to do with cost) Smoked a bowl of Comoy's Cask 11 in a Stanwell 15 on the way out.
    I've decided I'm getting too old and my back just can't take it much any more lugging all this stuff for the Chicago Pipe show, Difficulty is not having many younger members to recruit from
    Smoked a bowl of C&D Star of the East for the ride home.
  • edited May 2022
    Smoking some MacBaren “Mixture-Scottish Blend” from 2014 in a Savinelli “Silver” 904KS, paired with a hot cup-o-joe.  The tin is from my Uncle’s stuff I acquired after he passed, it’s probably from the 50’s-60’s, my father probably had a pipe or two from the tin as well.  They were twins and were very close.  I read that this tobacco came out in 1958, that would be about the time my dad and uncle were smoking their pipes.  I really need to find those old photographs of them and their pipes.