Home General

Favorite story from a pipe show.

Here is my favorite memory from all the pipe shows that I have been to.

It was a cold, rainy evening. I left the tent, and went in search of food. There was a wide hallway, but it was packed with the kids on their prom. Picture all the girls, having their Cinderella moment, with their boy friends, in tuxes. It was a beautiful situation, but I needed to get through the crowd. After considering the issue, 2 seconds, I announced:

"ATTENTION EVERYONE, I POSITIVELY REEK OF PIPE TOBACCO, AND I NEED TO GET TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THIS CROWD. SO, UNLESS YOU WANT TO SMELL LIKE ME, YOU NEED TO MAKE A PATH!."

I felt like Moses, parting the Red Sea.

Comments

• I've only been to two pipe shows, being the 2018 and 2019 Chicago Pipe Shows. I'll never forget how awestruck I was when I walked inside the show floor the first time and saw all the people, tables, and wares. Here I was, surrounded by likeminded fans of pipe smoking, my people. 

I'm an introvert, and while I'm chatty online, it's hard for me to break the ice and chat with people unless I know them. That being said, I love when I'm walking around the tables and another person next to me starts a conversation about the pipes we're looking at. 

I'll also remember meeting up with @piperdave and hanging out with him on the Sunday of the 2018 show. We had a good time talking about the hobby and checking out what was left on the last day. I look forward to the day when I can do that again with others.
  • -Winton, was this at the NASPC show?  

For me, it would have to be finding the "secret" room party at the Chicago Pipe Show.  Unfortunately that is gone now with the new venue set to be used this year.
  • Danishface, this story was from the Chicago show, in St Charles.