Home General

Drill Press over Lathe

Monk70Monk70 Enthusiast
Hello Everyone, I am not sure where to place this question so if I need to be in the ask the expert then I can go there but..... For those who make there own pipes and I do not mean carving a hobby block but truly starting with a block of briar, morta, fruit wood or what ever and cutting your own stems. Is the lathe better or have any of you guys just used your drill press? I do more hand carved but I think with my arthritis a lathe may just make my life easier. I have heard of guys using there drill press for everything (turning the briar and drilling and turning the stem) but I would like some feed back on how you guys maybe setting up your drill press if that is all you are using? Again I know a lathe would make my life easier and I am shopping for one but I am intrigued with the use of the drill press as a multi function. 

Comments

• @Monk70

I would have to say a lathe. I don't see how you could make a stem using a drill press. That being said, when I tried my hand at carving pipes - I did four - I used a drill press for drilling the bowl and the airway through the shank. I used a belt sander and a Dremel for the actual shaping of the pipe. 
  • @Monk70, buy a lathe.  I have both and the drill press is only good for drilling the draft hole and the bowl.  I tried to use it for the rest, with an special "attachment" that didn't work worth a darn, so got a lathe and stem work has been a lot easier and more accurate.  Just my two cents worth.
  • Monk70Monk70 Enthusiast
    Thank you guys for responding to this. mfresa nailed it on the attachment for the drill press. I guess I should have been clearer in the questions. This question came about after I read a article where this pipe maker was using a tenon bit to cut the tenon on the drill press with this strange attachment (mfresa nailed it). Then the pipe maker in this article attached a 3 prong lathe chuck to his drill press and cut down the block. I will say this, my neck was hurting the entire time I was reading the article and looking at the photos. I just figured I would ask the masters. I will try and locate the article and see if I can post it. For some reason I think he was in the Ukraine. I do believe Harbor Freight’s going to get more of my money in the next day or 2. Thanks again guys for input.
    ⚓️
  • I have used the PIMO tenon cutter with a hand drill when I first started repairing/re-stemming pipes, and still use it for some repairs.  I have not used a drill press to make a stem from scratch.  I will say, the lathe is the way to go, it is much more accurate.  This is an old Craftsman/Atlas lathe 6” x 18”,  I wish I had a bit larger “swing”, as it limits the shank length...no canadians, lumberman, long shank pipes🙁.  Some lathes are made with a removable section next to the headstock so they can get a larger swing, which mine does not have🙁.  Oh, think money pit too, chucks and tooling can add up quickly. 
    Yes, I pick mine new lathe up tomorrow! Nice photo’s and good looking pipe RockyMountainBriar!
    ⚓️
  • @Monk70
    Thank you.  I can’t wait to see your new pipes hot off the lathe🙂
    It will be a little while before I can produce any pipes! My shop is getting a restoration but on hold for a bit until all the staples are out of my back! And being in Texas when I do get the green light from the doc I must wait until the weather cooperates! Installing windows and a new door along with wood work and paint is first before any more pipe making! The Mrs. said so! She is right though because if it does not get done my shop will be a outdoors! This happens when your home is built in 1951!
    ⚓️
  • @Monk70
    Hmm, my house was built in 1953, it is my first house.  Interestingly, my first vehicle was a 1953 Willys Jeep CJ-3B...weird.
    RockyMountainBriar I became disabled and had to retire in 2009. I was 2 1/2 years into my health issues and the doc’s could not figure out what to do for another year. Then there was recovery, surgery, recovery, surgery, recovery and here we are today. So during all that time my home was aging and issues were popping up. My medical bills drained everything the first year I was no longer working. I mean my home is nice but I do have some wood to replace on my garage with windows and doors to install plus siding. Then in our home we are redoing every room. Things just aged and we did not have the funds nor were we physically able to do anything until now. Tomorrow I am hoping that the good doc will finally remove the rest of these staples from my back so I can attempt to get things done around here and get my shop (the garage) up and going. It takes me 3 weeks to get done what use to only take 3 days. I would love to have the Williys!
    ⚓️
  • @Monk70
    I’d kinda like to have the CJ-3B back too.  I have to settle for my third Jeep, a 1978 CJ-5 304V8.

A bit off topic, forgive me.

#1-1953 CJ-3B#2- 1975 CJ-5 304V8
    #3-1978 CJ-5 304V8
    RockyMountainBriar I was ASE master certified and I-Car certified plus Ford, GM, Wagner and the list goes on. I worked in the auto industry ending as a insurance adjuster. I miss working on them but I never was fortunate enough to own a Jeep. Well I owned a Jeep Cherokee but that does not count. I have a 10 year old project that I am working on. 74’ Super Beetle with autostick that is Porsche powered that I am tempted to make into a Baja. I do miss my trucks but the Jeep is my dream vehicle. Doors off roof off music up on my way to a good river to fly fish and camp is one of my dreams. Being disabled has put those dreams further away than ever before. Enjoy the Jeep and keep it right side up. Thank you for sharing the photos.
    ⚓️
  • @Monk70
    I always wanted/still want a proper Baja Bug...so cool👍🏻   Jeep CJ’s come first though🙂. It’s good to hear “Cherokee does not count”.  If it has four doors, it’s not a Jeep either😬.  CJ-7’s barely make the cut.  I have to say, I would like one of the new short 2-Door Rubicons with a hardtop, fully loaded and lifted...if someone decided to give me one, they are hella expensive.
    I do not run with the top down, I would burn my head😖  I do love it with the doors off though.  I use to run the 3B with the doors folded forward and bungeed together.
  • mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    You can pick up combo machine centers that are a lathe with a vertical mill head attached to do live tool operations. I'm not exactly sure how many inches in the Y axis they will move but for simple pocket milling and drilling I'm sure they would work for what you're looking for.