Home General
Options

TPL Virtual Pipe Club

Comments

• Options
    Last night on Late-Late Show with that annoying British guy, there was a story about a source for free animated Zoom backgrounds one can use to Pull a Zoo on the people you're conversing with.
    "Pull a Zoo" was lingo on my second ship meaning "do something bizarre in front of your target in order to blow his mind." more or less. It was related to two jackasses engaged in a Chumping Contest trying to out-do each other with gross and disgusting acts. One such contest was won by the guy who, finding his opponent's locker open, pulled out the little drawer and took a dump in it and then putting it back into the locker.
  • Options
    @AnantaAndroscoggin
    Something like that never happened aboard the icebreaker I was stationed on. If it did, the person who did the dumping would have been introduced to a blanket party. 
    On the other hand, one enterprising bosun's mate found out the XO had decided to plant tomatoes in his stateroom and replaced the tomato plant with pot plants. The XO (who managed to make himself a lot of enemies when he first reported aboard) was confused about why his plants didn't bear fruit until we pulled back into our first U.S. port and they brought drug sniffing dogs aboard to see if anyone had bought pot in Mexico or South America. The XO may not have been amused, but the rest of the cutter was.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Guys, I will be online joining tonight. Look forward to good conversation, bourbon and a pipe. -later
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    And, of course, it’s cold and raining out on the rear deck, after being warm and sunny earlier in the week.
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    Don't forget, Beau York from Country Squire Radio is our guest speaker tonight. Come on out and join us (virtually) this evening at 7:30 CDT.

Topic: TPL - virtual Pipe Club
    Time: May 8, 2020 07:30 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 566 994 040
    Password: 8675309

Dial by your location
            +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
            +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
            +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
            +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
            +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
            +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
            +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
    Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kpirgfgKL

• Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    We had a great time last night listening to Beau York. Brian Levine even surprised us with a visit. Great to see everyone again. We had several new folks too. Please join us any Friday you can. If you want the video or audio only version just IM me, and I'll send you the link.

Next Friday will be a regular "hang out" meeting. We'll just smoke and chat and have a good time like we always do. Join us if you can.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe I considered the guy who did the dump to be the "Master Chief Seaman Recruit of the Coast Guard," him having had 47 Captain's Masts just aboard the Chase. I never could figure out how this unrepentant doper and incorrigible jackass managed to stay out of the brig or get a DD before I transferred out of there.
  • Options
    @AnantaAndroscoggin
    The Coast Guard was a lot different back then. I remember guys aboard ship who were caught in possession, given basically a week in the brig and dropped a pay grade and returned to the service. I also knew a lot of chronic alcoholics who were usually just restricted to the ship for a couple of weeks and nothing else.  In 1982 I reported in to the District Public Affairs office in Miami to work for a Chief who was legendary for both his photography skills and his inclination towards partying. A month later he was sent to drug rehab. He came back two months later and lasted another month before he was busted again and they eventually busted him two grades and kicked him out. There was even talk about letting him stay in another six months so he could retire but that was nixed by the Commandant. 

Now they don't get a second chance. They serve brig time while waiting for their discharge papers. 
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Twas a good time last night Indeed. Glad we had a good turnout. See y'all next week.
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    Looking forward to our virtual pipe club tonight. This will just be a regular smoke & talk meeting (no special guest). These are always fun because we get to hang out, smoke a bowl or two and get to know everyone. Can’t wait to see you all. As always, join if you can and invite other pipe smoking buddies too... even if they’re not part of TPL. 

Topic:  TPL - virtual Pipe Club
    Time:  07:30 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Dial by your location
            +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
            +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
            +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
            +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
            +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
            +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
            +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
    Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kpirgfgKL

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I have a standing appointment on Friday evening/nights🙁  It sounds like fun though.
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    I’m glad to have this evening to just hang out and smoke a bowl with my TPL buddies!

See you soon!
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited May 2020
    Sorry I  had to bow out a little early, but family called.
    Still, it was as a most enjoyable evening, as always...
  • Options
    nelliefoxnelliefox Enthusiast
    I watched boob tube w/ the wife tonight.  How did the meeting go?  Topics, good turnout, etc.....................

NellieFox
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Twas a good night. Great conversation as always. We stayed on till around midnight EST. 
  • Options
    Looks like I've been missing out! I'll try and make it on this week. It's been a while gents!
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    Hey All - this week's virtual pipe club meeting will be focused on Estate Pipes - purchasing, restoring, selling, etc. Our very own, @KA9FFJ, will be our main presenter/facilitator. However, this will be more of an open format where everyone is free to bring their own experience and questions about the world of Estate Pipes. It's going to be a fun night.

Can't wait to see everyone!

• Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    We are online now discussing Estate pipes & restoration. Brian Levine, Max Stokkebye, Leonard (admin) and others are on right now. Come on in!

• Options
    SgtDannerSgtDanner Enthusiast
    Gonna miss tonight, it’s my 3 yr olds birthday. Y’all have fun and I will catch y’all next week!!
  • Options
    pwkarchpwkarch Master
    Someone please tell me when the next virtual meeting is held, and the appropriate program to use.

I would love to participate.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    @pwkarch Just keep scanning back through this thread. @jfreedy has all the info there.
    Meeteing ID is always the same, as is the password. We use ZOOM, Fridays at 7:30 CST...
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    By the way, our own @KA9FFJ did a great job discussing estate pipes on Friday. He is a wealth of information on estate pipe restoration, best practices, tips & tricks.  Well done!
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    edited May 2020
    Hey all - this Friday's meeting will just be a "hangout & smoke a bowl" meeting. These are always fun and the conversations can go really ANY direction. 😄
    We'd love to have some new folks there. Mark your calendars for 7:30pm Central (8:30 Eastern / 5:30 Pacific) and share a bowl with your TPL friends!

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @jfreedy

So, a half hour earlier than usual?
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    edited May 2020
    Oh... woops! No, still same old time (7:30 Central). I just fixed that post to reflect the correct time.