Home General
Options

Baccyflap

mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
Anyone know where I can get a baccyflap?

Comments

• Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    What the blazes is a "Baccyflap"?
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    Sounds like something you can get in Las Vegas or New Orleans. Don't worry: A couple of shots of penicillin and it will clear right up.
  • Options
    Carey's pipe and tobacco shop or there is a couple for sale on E bay
  • Options
    @LostMason it is a bowl shape container that holds tobacco. At least that what it looks like to me.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    @mhajec I do not think you will be able to find an original baccy flap, they used to be made of bakelite and used to thread (screw) together. I have only seen one in person and it was at the Chicago Pipe show 2 years ago (in rough shape) and the seller wanted $75.00. I didn't buy it but this year I did find someone who is making wooden (beech wood) ones that press together. I am attempting to attach photos, it works OK for a short period of time because it doesn't hold much tobacco. It doesn't have the best of seal either I left some tobacco in it for just over a week (forgot it in one of my bags) and it had dried out completely. If I can remember the name of the guy I got it from I will put a link. imageimage
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    @piperdave - the image didn't attach... I did find an original a couple months ago, but it was expensive as hell and it was in extremely poor condition. Mostly I would just like to find one that is hand made and in excellent condition (vintage or not), that doesn't cost me a first born child or an extremity. 
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    A couple years ago I heard about the baccyflap and loved the idea of it.  I started looking every where with no avail.  Finally I found one and OMG it was crazy what they wanted.  They are no longer made with the bakelite but others have tried other materials.  If you really want one, I think the best quality one I've seen is made for morgan pipes and made from anodized aluminum.  Here's the link but they are out of stock as I make this post http://www.morganpipes.com/store/p45/The_Flapjack-__Mobile_Tobacco_Box.html

Hmm... I found it a few other places but its no longer in stock anywhere.

It is just under $100 though and would rather stick to tupperware, personally.
  • Options
    dstribdstrib Apprentice
    Saw a 3in x 1in stainless container on eBay called a supercan storage can which might fit in line of what you would like, not as thin as a baccyflap. Looks like it would make a good quality tobacco storage for travel.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    I'll check it out, thanks guys!
  • Options
    KirbybKirbyb Newcomer
    I purchased one from a fellow on ETSY made out of maple, paid $45.00 I think. It's a cool looking piece but not very functional; slippery to hold, difficult to get the threads lined up and the tobacco dies quickly. Chris Morgan's design made of aluminum looks like to would be the best choice.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I hadn't thought to mention as I like the baccyflap concept to be able to through it in a pocket but for that price I'll use a tobacco pouch, as I have collected several, a mason jar if it's getting tossed in a bag, or just a ziplock baggy as for the cost of I baccyflap or the othe I could get plenty of each of the others to last a lifetime
  • Options
    @mhajec I saw the gentleman again who I purchased my wooden container/baccy flap from when I was at CPCC016. It is http://americanpipemakers.com/ they currently do not have any in stock but you could click Contact Us and send a request of when they may be getting more in. I am still attempting to load up an image of mine for reference.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    @piperdave you are the man! And good luck with the picture, it has never worked for me.
  • Options
    @mhajec OK, I think I have found a way to list or show an image of my baccy flap. https://twitter.com/hashtag/thispipelife this is a link to where I posted a picture of it on my twitter account and hash-tagged it with. #thispipelife. Hope it helps.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    @piperdave that is perfect, I'm going to get one 
  • Options
    <<An original Wunup Baccy Flap. These are rare and one of the most collectable items in pipe smoking artifacts. A superb little invention originally made in the 1930’s and no longer in production. A flying saucer shaped tobacco container with an tight seal on which the top unscrews to store up to 2oz of tobacco inside. Lovely smooth flat design that slips easily into a pocket which made them so popular then and collectable now. Originally manufactured by Parker (part of the Dunhill Group) Wunup was a company bought by Parker to produce the majority of these. The Wunup versions are slightly larger than their Parker counterparts measuring almost 4 inches across and are also of a stronger construction, which made them the more popular and collectable version. This has been fully restored. Made of Bakelite it has a wood grain effect finish.>>
  • Options
    I'm going to have to start looking for those at resale shop because I swear I saw one in an antique store in Rockville Indiana but had no idea what it was.
  • Options
    I got to handle one. It fit wonderfully in a back pocket of my jeans.
  • Options

I have 5 Baccyflap's in my collection, one of which is so thoroughly used, that most of the checkering has been worn completely down, from repeated insertions onto a veteran pipe smokers pocket. These can be found on ebay every so often, but in most cases they are being sold by a seller outside the CONUS, which means no ebay guarantee to cover the buyer.

Considering what some folks are asking for the reincarnations, I would much rather own an original bakelite version. They are not only collectible, but also very functional.

• Options
    Here's one, on sale at eBay. Too rich for me....

• Options
    http://www.paperandplastics.co.uk/plastics/itembaccyflap.php

<<The Baccyflap tobacco storage containers are lovely examples of a classic piece of design in plastic. It is a very simple design and fulfills its purpose perfectly, it is airtight and just neatly fits into a pocket. The two halves screw together and inside the inner ring that stops the tobacco spilling is removable for easy cleaning. This inner ring is often missing but all my current examples are complete. 

The Baccyflap was sold under 2 brands, Wunup and Parker, as part of the range of products made for smokers under these brands. The Wunup is 95mm diameter and 30mm thick whilst the Parker example is very slightly smaller. 

The Wunup were made of the typical dark brown marbled bakelite whilst the Parker is in another plastic material, probably rigid styrene, and tend to vary in colour. 

At the moment I only have a Parker in stock, this is shown in the photographs. This Parker Baccyflap is a golden brown colour, it does show signs of wear but overall it is still in good condition and the name etc is very clear. 

Prices, Wunup £58.00 SOLD and Parker £38.00. 
    Postage & packing for UK £3.30 each. 
    Overseas postage & packing £2.75 extra. >>

• Options
    @motie2 I don't think that will last long.
  • Options
    Chris Morgan recently announced a new batch of his "Flapjack" baccyflap. http://www.morganpipes.com/store/p45/The_Flapjack-__Mobile_Tobacco_Box.html

imageimage
  • Options
    I immediately went there, eager to purchase, but at the bottom of the page
    it said <<Unavailable>>

Did I do it wrong?
  • Options
    Not sure because the site allows me to put one in my cart. I just checked with my iPhone and my laptop with the same results. Perhaps you need to toss your cookies? 
  • Options
    @Aristocob -- No, it turns out my PrivacyBadger didn't like the site and partially crippled it. I turned the little feller off and all is good in the world.... except the $89.00 price tag. <small shy smile>

Thanks for responding!!!
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERB-Orig-Alfred-DUNHILL-Parker-Pipe-Co-BAKELITE-Tobacco-Container-Baccyflap-/182626044708

Time left: Time left: 5d 04h Sunday, 3:38PM

<<SUPERB Orig Alfred DUNHILL-Parker Pipe Co BAKELITE Tobacco Container-Baccyflap, RARE Item..Art Deco...c1930's

You are bidding for my Aunt's and by extension my Grandfathers, SUPERB and INCREDIBLY RARE, Original early Bakelite-celluloid plastic Tobacco pouch/container/tin. Taking the form of a mini discus, with screw off lid, one side smooth with company logo, the other with band of grip pattern.

Made by Alfred Dunhill's pipe company PARKER PIPES and in a design known as 'The Baccyflap'. A HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER AND VERY RARE TOBACCIANA COLLECTIBLE, A Charming example from the c1930-50's...

USED -- REMARKABLY GOOD CONDITION, Undamaged, minor to no signs of wear....

The Baccyflap has a diameter of 9cm and stands 3.3cm tall approx. Its inner volume is approx 80ml, it can hold between 25 (rubbed out dry) and 50 (solid cake grams) according to an interesting article on the internet at Baccyflap.com

To recap, A RARE OPPORTUNITY TO PURCHASE A VERY SCARCE AND HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER, BUT YET SO VERY USABLE, ORIGINAL ,VINTAGE, ART DECO, BAKELITE-EARLY CELLULOID, TOBACCO CONTAINER, by the RENOWN Alfred Dunhill subsidiary, Parker Pipe Co...Unusally rare to find a branded Parker example.>>
  • Options

I was browsing through some old pics today, and came across a couple pics of my Baccyflaps..........

WunupBaccyflapsX5

WunupBaccyflapsX5-2