Home General

Good and Welfare

Comments

• @mapletop -- Unfortunately, I live in the People's Republic of New Jersey, where doctors admit -- to your face -- that they are afraid to prescribe painkillers (except OTC's) because they are afraid they'll lose their licenses..... Former Governor Fat Bastard worked hard to see that only dying patients might get opiods...... And short episode? I've had the suprapubic catheter in for two and a half months..... But almost anything is preferable to a Foley.

@KA9FFJ -- <<Yeah... I really do hope that's all there is to it (-10 pts @motie2) ...>> Why -10 pts? That's usually for ending a sentence with a preposition..... :D

I began this discussion because of missing XDutchx and others. 

• Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited August 2018
    I was one of the recipients of Chris's pipes, a Charatan and a box of other items. I have the pipe he liked a lot . He said, give something of value away and it has to hurt a little to be a real gift. Hes sent it to me with a note. It's odd because my thought at the time was why is he doing this? Then the note made me think he's knows he's going away and will not be needing it. I have felt that way about it ever since, now he is gone. 
  • @Londy3 - Exactly. He sent me an unsmoked CAO Meerschaum that's carved to look like an ear of corn. I asked why and he said he felt like rewarding some of the participants on the forum with a gift and he had too many pipes. 
  • PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited August 2018
    Funny thing in a very strange way. I went looking for the messages from xDutchx that we exchanged back in December and they are not there. My messages jump from Nov. 2017 to Jan. 2018. I did find my email notification that he had sent me a message. The last two read:

"It's ok, I have been making the rounds, and trying to send everyone a pipe who has made Master, but it is taking me awhile to catch up

The meerschaum is a little on the large side, but would be perfect for Lat blends or aromatics. It also came with a Syroco pipe rest, fashioned after a horses head. The bamboo pot is a little gem, made by a guy in South Africa. The Barlings was restored by Chance Whittamore out in California, but the bamboo pot and CAO Meerschaum are unsmoked and in new condition."

and,

"I should be able to get it in the mail to you on Tuesday. If I get a call from my boss, asking me to roll out to Arizona tomorrow, it will probably be first of next week before I can get it out. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I won't hear from him until Tuesday, and if so, I can drop the package in the mail to you when the post office reopens on Tuesday. My regular run picks up in Arizona on Thursdays, which would make it necessary for me to leave on Monday, but I am guessing I won't hear from my boss on New Years Day." 

That's the last I heard from him. He never replied when I messaged him that I had received the pipe.

• @mapletop -- Unfortunately, I live in the People's Republic of New Jersey, where doctors admit -- to your face -- that they are afraid to prescribe painkillers (except OTC's) because they are afraid they'll lose their licenses..... Former Governor Fat Bastard worked hard to see that only dying patients might get opiods...... And short episode? I've had the suprapubic catheter in for two and a half months..... But almost anything is preferable to a Foley.

@KA9FFJ -- <<Yeah... I really do hope that's all there is to it (-10 pts @motie2) ...>> Why -10 pts? That's usually for ending a sentence with a preposition..... :D

• I lost my brother-in-law today from ALS, he was only 57 years old, no more suffering.
  • @pipeman83 My condolences to you and your family.  Life is truly precious.  I'm sure he's in a happier place.
  • @pipeman83 -- 

All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated; God employs several translators; some pieces are translated by age, some by sickness, some by war, some by justice; but God's hand is in every translation, and his hand shall bind up all our scattered leaves again for that library where every book shall lie open to one another.

~ John Donne

• @pipeman83

So sorry brother for your loss, reminds me of a saying my Chief Petty Officer (and team leader) used to say which I will not repeat here at this time, but it rather dramatically sums up our lives in one rather short sentence. It is a form of "gallows humor".

The last few years here we have lost multiple family members, and it never gets any easier.....smoke your favorite pipe with your favorite tobacco and offer up the "Angels' Share" of the smoke in his honor.
  • I do admit that when I got out of the service in '82, all I had left to me in the way of personal philosophy to live by was: "Life sucks; you embarrass yourself horribly; and then you croak."

But I'm feeling much better now . . .
  • SwmaplesSwmaples Apprentice
    @pipeman83

Sorry for your loss and condolences and good hopes for you and your's. 
  • @pipeman83, I can only echo what other members have said, my condolences.
  • @pipeman83, that is a terrible disease and I regret that he had to suffer. My condolences to you and yours.
  • While I am on the mend, showing real progress after seven months of agonized living, there are still others among our faithful that are ailing.
    I invite your prayers -- or just keeping a good thought -- for our friends..... our briar brothers. Should any of them wish to invite our prayers, they might do so here

Let us pray for those who are ill or suffering:  
    We name them in our hearts, and we send them our prayers and kind thoughts.
    We pray that the healing power of God is directed toward those who suffer;
    that God grants them renewed health of body and strength of spirit.
    Amen.

• Couldn't have said it any better @motie2 ...
  • Much we can do for ourselves; and what we can do we must do -- healing, no less than illness, is participatory. But even when we do all we can do, there is, often, still much left to be done. And so we turn to our healers, seeking their skill to aid in our struggle for wellness. 

• and we pray to our God......I am sorry if that offends anyone
  • I add my amen. I dislike that any of our fellows are suffering.
  • I have missed a lot here and in a way I am glad I missed some of it, not sure how I would have felt getting a pipe from anyone that I knew that was not going to be with us anymore. 
    i do know the feeling of not knowing how long you have left in this world, my health keeps getting worse every month.
    @motie2 I understand about the Doctors and the pain pills, here in Ky. our doctors are all connected through one hospital that told them to cut everyone off cold turkey, we have a real bad epidemic with heroin and meth and I feel a lot of it was caused by the Hospital! I was one that was cut cold turkey, I know better than to do drugs but I did switch to drinking a lot more Bourbon and smoking more Cigars and Pipe tobacco. 
    Shame that the Hospitals can control almost 1/4 of a state and do things like that and not have to deal with what they caused!
    Anyway we need a new thread, one for us OLD people that are going down in health....lol 

• @Wolf41035

Glad you are with us again. 2018 wasn't a great year for several of us. And while I am on the mend after seven months with tubes coming out of me, others are still ailing. I opened this folder to solict prayers and moral support for our sick or infirm members.

Welcome back!
  • @Wolf41035

Glad that you reported from the green side of the grass. You were the subject of much conjecture and concern. I and many others hope you are doing better this new year. Stay involved......
  • Lot's of good vibes here.  I've been consumed with a layoff and now a new job and haven't been able to post much lately.  I hope and pray for all of my fellow ailing TPL friends and pray that 2019 brings good health and happier times to all.
  • @Wolf41035 - Glad to see you still kicking.

• Every time I look at my gifted Charaton I got from Chris aka @xDutchx, I wonder about him. It's just very sad he's gone. I think there are others here he gifted about the same time too.  Anyhow, let us all continue to pray for our friends in the pipe.  I am not ashamed to pray to God or to mention Jesus in fear of offending. I do what I need to do.  
  • Just askin' -- How does one offend by "praying to God" or simply mentioning Jesus Christ?