Home Tobacco Talk
Options

What are you guys smoking right Now?

Comments

• Options
    A hearty welcome to the brotherhood @JivnJop ! Be sure to ask us any questions you might have, and we'll do our best to help you out.

If you want to start with a briar, Stanwells are very affordable if you can find them. Peterson and Savinelli are nice back ups, too. If budget is a concern, you can never ever go wrong with a cob! Like others have said, the Country Gentleman is an excellent choice, as is a Twain. Be sure to get a pipe tool and pipe cleaners while you're at it! They're essential for any pipe smoker. As for pipe tobacco, Lane 1-Q is a beginner friendly blend with an aroma that most will enjoy. Try to avoid cherry blends at first if you're planning on trying one.

I highly suggest watching a few youtube videos on how to pack a pipe. A good pack will determine how your smoke goes. When you've filled your pipe, take a draw while it's unlit. The tobacco should provide enough resistance that it should feel reminiscent to drinking a milkshake through a straw. Also, make sure the tobacco isn't too damp when you pack it, or you'll have a harder time with it.

Once filled, do an initial light with quick puffs as the match goes around the rim of the bowl. If you're smoking a briar pipe instead of a cob, just be careful not to get the flame too close to the rim of the pipe, or you'll scorch it. Once the tobacco has been lit, tamp the ashes down with the pipe tamper on the tool. Once the ash has been tamped down, light again, and take longer puffs in the middle of the bowl, drawing the flame further down the bowl. Once lit again, tamp once more and enjoy!

As you smoke, remember the following:
    Don't inhale! Pipe tobacco isn't meant to be inhaled.
    Sip slowly, you don't want to puff like a steam engine. Otherwise you can scorch your mouth. Take it slow!
    If the pipe starts to gurgle, run a pipe cleaner through the stem to clear it. Also, if you have a hard time getting a draw through the stem, a quick run through with a pipe cleaner can help.
    Don't feel bad about relighting a ton. We all relight while we smoke. My ashtray is filled with matches by the end of the evening. It's rare to go through an entire bowl without relighting.
    Don't get frustrated if the first smoke doesn't go smoothly. It's a learning process that requires patience. But if you stick with it, you'll have a hobby you can enjoy for the rest of your life.

I hope that helps! Let us know if you have any other questions, and enjoy!

• Options
    Jeff20Jeff20 Connoisseur
    Nightcap, of Peterson's of dublin, Sweet Killarney in my vintage Willard.
  • Options
    The morning begins with Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired in my Rossi billiard.  Leaving later this morning for NYC to see the UCONN - 'Cuse game at Madison Square Garden tonight. U-C-O-N-N!!
  • Options
    Smoked some Sutliff Vanilla Custard in Baraccini.
  • Options
    Sitting down on this brisk evening with  C&D's "Autumn Evening" in a Stanwell straight billiard. Great Flavor and Fragrance. 
  • Options
    @buflosab

Sutliff Vanilla Custard is the one of best blends out there. I have about 8 lbs. cellared and a pound or so "on deck". I am trying to smoke every ounce before I check out. Try blending it with other favorite blends of yours....it pairs well with just about anything, believe me I have tried. A chocolate blend will give you a nougat flavor. Mixed with Carter Hall it has a vanilla nutty flavor. One of my faves is Lane Dark Red (or even Pallidin Black Cherry reminds presents a very nice vanilla cherry experience. I have had a pipe loaded sitting on my desk here mixed 50/50 Sutliff VC and 4 Noggins "3 Blind Moose" that at least smells as if it will be good.

Happy mixing........
  • Options
    @Danfriedman that blend is on my list for future tobacco purchases, any more thoughts on the flavors?
  • Options
    Jeff20Jeff20 Connoisseur
    Enjoying a pipe of Sutliff Great Outdoors in a Bent Billiard....this, to me is just a very pleasing blend every time i smoke it.
  • Options
    @TaylorJDutton, Autumn Evening is nice for a treat. This blend is... "FUN". For me it has nice rich sweet flavors with enough backbone to not be over the top. It needs to dry out before use, but it is nice.
  • Options
    Dunhill Flake in my little Barracini pot.
  • Options
    @buflosab

Sutliff Vanilla Custard is the one of best blends out there. I have about 8 lbs. cellared and a pound or so "on deck". I am trying to smoke every ounce before I check out. Try blending it with other favorite blends of yours....it pairs well with just about anything, believe me I have tried. A chocolate blend will give you a nougat flavor. Mixed with Carter Hall it has a vanilla nutty flavor. One of my faves is Lane Dark Red (or even Pallidin Black Cherry reminds presents a very nice vanilla cherry experience. I have had a pipe loaded sitting on my desk here mixed 50/50 Sutliff VC and 4 Noggins "3 Blind Moose" that at least smells as if it will be good.

Happy mixing........
  • Options
    @pwkarch, Vanilla Custard is a favorite of mine also,Thank you for all the posting about your mixing combinations, I always take them under consideration.
  • Options
    Esoterica Margate in a bent egg.
  • Options
    Son and wife flew in from Vegas yesterday for a wedding. Just left for the reception dinner, etc. Relaxing with some Creme Brulee in a refurbed "work pipe". It's barely 5 in. long and makes it a great close quarters pipe. The only stamping on it is "virgin briar"...
  • Options
    CS Old Toby in a straight Britannia   
  • Options
    1Q and BCA mixed 50/50 in a no name pot that belonged to my father. Vanilla Custard is a good every day tobacco. At least, nobody will complain about the smell.
  • Options
    @riobrusa - that blend of 1Q/BCA is my favorite handout! Most of my friends think it smells like vanilla scones. Easy smoke straight to the bottom of the bowl.

• Options
    This afternoon is Jolly Old St. Nick in a short Dagner Poker Cob from MM
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited November 2018
    My last entry sounded wrong. It was my son and HIS wife that flew in from Vegas. Reread it and didn't come across the way I meant...
  • Options
    Amphora Regular in an MM Patriot.
  • Options
    Essenza Cipriota by Savinelli in my brand new Moonshine Cannon Ball.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited November 2018
    Doing some toasted black Cavendish in a no-name refurbished bulldog...