Home General

Scorched Thumb Syndrome

edited October 2018 in General

For any outdoor pipe smoker using a cheap disposable Bic Lighter, I'm pretty sure you've found yourself victim to the dreaded Scorched Thumb Syndrome. As you light your pipe an uncooperative wind or slight breeze redirects the flame from the tobacco to your thumb. It doesn't happen as often - or hardly ever - with a Zippo Pipe Lighter because of the way the lighter is engineered. But the flame from a disposable Bic lighter seems to have a mind of it's own. And more often than not I find the flame redirected towards my thumb.

After a while the skins seems to toughen up - or else I'm so used to it by now that I seldom scream like a woman when it happens - but I became more acutely aware of the problem when I developed Type 2 Diabetes and have to prick my finger every morning to test my blood sugar. I try to rotate my fingers so I'm not always pricking the same ones - but when I get to the right thumb ... well ... it gets an automatic pass because of my Scorched Thumb affliction. 

I've found no cure for the Syndrome - other than use a Zippo Pipe Lighter. It can happen with wooden matches as well, but not as often since you can hold the match at the very bottom away from the flame. But that damn disposable Bic Lighter puts your thumb directly over the bowl right in the path of the flame.

I'm currently looking for a celebrity spokesperson to sponsor a Telethon for those afflicted with Scorched Thumb Syndrome. We must make people aware of our plight ... our screams should no longer go unnoticed. Send me a $5000.00 donation and I'll see what I can do about it. I'm sure I can find a good use for the cash.        

Comments