Home General
Options

Lunting Season

Comments

• Options
    I'm with Londy3 and the other naysayers. "Lunting" conjures up an image of some European peasant saddling up a brace of pigs to go rooting for truffles.

Besides, the world has become overrun with cutesy little words to satisfy folks' need to feel that what they're doing is somehow special and apart from the crowd. Think "glamping" when they're just going camping with extra luggage.

So for me, if I'm going for a stroll, I'm just "walking". It isn't conditional on whether I have a pipe, wear a ball cap, or use custom-fitted gel inserts. It's still just walking.

Btw, to add something to the squirrel discussion, for years I've taken to steaming them on a rack in a slow cooker until they're tender regardless of what recipe I'm using. You can do this for stews and such, since deboning is a breeze, or take them out and flour and fry them. It takes care of that toughness.
  • Options
    @motie2 - PTSD: Pipe Tobacco Smoking __Days__.
  • Options
    mapletopmapletop Master
    edited October 2018
    OK, while trying to come up with something to work with motie2's thought (and failing) I came up with some more.
    Pipespedition,  Pashay,  Pipegrimage, sort of lame, I'm leaning toward a new word
  • Options
    @Charles
     Better than anything I've come up with, but still not quite right.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe
         Sounds like an interesting time I had once back in the day.  While in college at MSU Bozeman, a bunch of us guys (six of us, from all corners of Montana) went on a whirlwind hunting trip throughout Montana, south of Miles City, Montana for “Speed Goat” (pronghorn antelope)/mule deer, whitetail.  Then over near Fort Peck Resovoir and Jordan, Montana, then up a bit north to Saco, Montana and over to the Bob Marshall for elk, deer, antelope, sage grouse, pheasant, and jack rabbits for kicks.  We put on a whole lot of miles that trip.  Anyway...one night we stopped near Jordan and stayed overnight in tents.  I took off my boots and set them outside the tent as a favor to my hunting buddy (They were kind of “ripe”).  Well when I got up the next morning and went to put my boot on, it was a bit of a struggle getting my foot all the way in the boot, but I did it.  Damn, it was tight, my sock must have rolled over in the front of the boot, my toes were all scrunched up.  Well I took the boot off....hmm....sock not bunched up...what the heck?  I reached in my boot....”holy $h!t” there is something? furry jammed in the toe of my boot...”Cripes!!!  I put my boot down (heavy leather hiking boot) and proceeded to pound the crap out of the toe with my fist.  I turned the boot over and a mouse dropped out on the floor of the 2-person tent.  It looked dead.....well...it was not, only stunned, it came to life and began to rampage around the tent.  I grabbed my Tekkna dive/boot knife and tried to stab him...no surprise here, I missed and punched a hole through the floor of the tent....I’m glad it was my tent.  Not to mention, he made good his escape and went out the open door of the tent.....all the while my buddy was laughing his ass off.  Almost as good as a cold shower to wake a person up.  Oh.....we did not have mouse for breakfast😉
  • Options
    @mapletop, I'm with you. We got this. I'm not giving up either. 
  • Options
    Pipe Tobacco Smoking Discourse/Discussion.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper
    I like your suggestion(s) but that doesn't convey walking/movement. Still working on it.......
  • Options
    @rockymountainbriar
    beats hell out of putting your foot into a boot with a scorpion in it. I did that during a trip to Arizona, back in the day.  :s
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    @motie2
    Yep, scorpion beats mouse any day.
         I did find a scorpion near my tent here in Montana a few years ago while camping near Bridger, Montana.  I still have him “pickled” in alcohol.  My uncle worked as a “gandy dancer” on the railroad in Forsyth, Montana he told me, when I was about fifteen, about some of his fellow workers that use to pick them up and carry them around in their pocket.  Seems stooopid (with three o’s) to me? The little brown scorpions here in Montana are not very dangerous.  They are pretty rare too, I have only seen one in my 54 years in Montana.  I have also seen one “wind scorpion” (not a true scorpion) pretty rare also.  I wish I would have “pickled” him.  I don’t recall what happened to it.
  • Options
    Before trying a new word to replace lunting I thought maybe there was something I could use (rip off) from one of the classic ancient languages.
    So the Latin word for smoke is Fumas and the Latin word for hike is Ambulo
    What do you guys think of the word FUMBULO (smoke hike)?  Personally I kind of like it, but then I'm a bit of a nut.

• Options
    @mapletop But Amfumas would be hike smoking.
  • Options
    But then again, Ambufumas would be sort-of rhythmic to say  . . .
  • Options
    @AnantaAndroscoggin I like Amburfumas. It sounds like a magic spell you would hear in a Harry Potter movie.

"Ambufumas!" and his pipe immediately lit itself.
  • Options
    @mapletop, not bad. 
    cammina fumo
    Or
    Camfumo (short made up version
  • Options
    This is hard.
    I sorta like Camfumo
  • Options

Origin of lunt

1540–50; < Dutch lont (match, fuse); akin to Middle Low German lunte (match, wick)
    Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018

So, the word lunting may not really mean what we think it means.
    =====================================================================

Lunting | Define Lunting at Dictionary.com

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/lunting -- a match; the flame used to light a fire. smoke or steam, especially smoke from a tobacco pipe.

Somehow, the walking around part was added (to the Urban Dictionary and various pipe forums and videos).
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited October 2018
    OK, this probably belongs in the S&G (jokes) folder, but.......

Anyone here from San Francisco? There's a new lun ting café
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/new-lun-ting-cafe-san-francisco

• Options
    @motie2 How about Pipe Tobacco Smoking Detour? When we smoke our pipes, we eschew the mundane everyday part of life and take the slow path.

On a side note, I'm not looking to replace the word lunting. I know others have their issues with it being trendy, but if I stopped doing everything I love because the hipsters like it, then I'm letting them control me. Plus I like old, weird words.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper
    Brilliant!!!  I like it; best so far.

And then again, I thought: Diversion
    PTSD - Pipe Tobacco Smoking Diversion?
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper For clarification, my disdain for the word Lunting has nothing to do with the hipsters adoption and use of the word, it is the very sound of the word that is unappealing.

And while I like PTSD, it is already an acronym in use that is associated to a condition first identified in returning combat veterans as you probably know.

That said, its use for this purpose could / would be considered by some as demeaning  and I personally, as a veteran, would never comport to conflate its meaning.

I do agree with you about not giving into outside influences with regard to pursuing the things you love, in fact I applaud it as I am an iconoclast by my very nature as well.

Try looking at it as finding a synonym that is more attractive sounding, a new feature to the pipe smoking lexicon / syntax.
  • Options
    OK, you are correct: PTSD is cute, but demeaning. I apologize.
  • Options
    @motie2 No apology necessary, I did not consider it till later either.
    We all know it was with the best of intentions.
  • Options
    Its really a Peace Walk isn't it?
    PcWk
  • Options
    I like the thought, but do you spell it, as it would be difficult to pronounce?

• Options
    Thank you @motie2 for posting the link to this free opportunity for pipers who walk  to get connected. I would encourage all forum members to try it. It costs nothing and is a lot of fun and great exercise.
  • Options
    It’d sure be good exercise for me....according to the map I’d have to walk 70 miles just to get to the nearest one!
  • Options
    @Bloodhound61, I think you misunderstood the map. This is a map of current members. A hiker  would be at your house if  you join the society.