Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Pipe storage

Comments

• Options
    @KA9FFJ I think I count 85 pipes, Quite a storage..
  • Options
    @Woodsman You're probably right. I quit doing an accurate count after 50. My wife is starting to raise her eyebrows at the pipes and me every time she strolls by. "... I need a bigger boat"
  • Options
    Thanks @motie2 Now comes the hard part: trying to incorporate them all into my rotation... So many pipes, so little time...
  • Options
    @messoduomo I've seen those before and basically it is the same idea. That is, build up instead of out. Very classy and nice...
  • Options
    Some absolutely beautiful setups here.

I'll give it another try to post some pics...

https://i.imgur.com/jybMcGD.jpg?1

• Options
    Can't figure out how to get the images from imgur.com onto this site
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    @KA9FFJ Not only are those beautiful display cabinets the pipe collection is absolutely awesome as well. Looking at many of the member collections is like walking into a Pipe Shop. The pipe smoker today is unlike the ones of yesteryear who used an empty can of Velvet or Half & Half and had their pipes stored bowl side up inside the cans sitting on a shelf in the garage or workshop. Today we treat our collections like antiquities on display in a museum. I spend more time maintaining and cleaning my pipe collection more than my car or yard. 
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ, don't know how I missed this. But, yeah I can use something to store my pipes. They are thown in my desk drawer for now along with my Jared tobacco. 
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ, the pipe cabinets are amazing! They will also keep your pipes from getting all dusty and stuff.  Great job man.
  • Options
    @Londy3 I'm really sorry, but when I didn't get a reply, I gave them to a buddy here in town. He was in the same situation as you. He says things were looking bad on his desk and that I may have saved his marriage... :wink: Sorry, you were my first choice...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ, awe, it's ok. Thankful I was thought of. 
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii First, thanks for the compliments. I really appreciate it. Second, I can totally relate to the upkeep time consumption of your pipe collection. But as I've said before, and I'm sure you'll agree, it's a labor of love..

• Options
    Ok, so I found this sign board brand new, still wrapped at Goodwill for a buck...  I bought it with the idea of making a pipe rack.
  • Options
    Next I unwrapped it and drilled the base holes using a forstner bit...

• Options
    After that I made the stem holder out of scrap and smoothed it out...
  • Options
    Had some leftover 5/8 dowel rod so I elected to use it as the support posts...
  • Options
    So now I am ready to stain, buff and glue the project together. 
    I also will cut felt circles to insert into the base holes using my wife's circle cutter (attainable at most hobby stores)...
    But with grandkids coming tomorrow through Thursday,  it will be put on hold for a while...
    So here's where I am now...
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited October 2019
    @KA9FFJ wow.... you are very handy and get to work quick. Impressive. Love your ManSpace. Very jealous.

Please show us pics when completed!
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ ~ I can't wait to see the finished product!
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited October 2019
    @RockyMountainBriar MOST  IMPRESSIVE! Your pics are amazing... Tnx for sharing...
    👍
  • Options
    Maybe I just need a bigger house🤔
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    I have the lumber set aside to make another cabinet similar to the “pool cue” cabinet from scratch.  It will probably be another couple of years....I procrastinate.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar You should be very proud of your collection.  I could probably use up 2 bowls (about 4-5 hrs worth of smoking), at your place while I studied your pipes and accessories, and still fall short of seeing it all...
    Again, MOST impressive...
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar I'm 71... I can't afford to procrastinate... Besides,  I find my waking hours are getting shorter and shorter... 😴
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    WOW........just plain WOW.........you are amazing
  • Options
    Very impressive collection!
  • Options
    CasperCasper Newcomer
    @PappyJoe, I'm not familiar with that Home place your speaking about, But I sure like that Phone Booth display. I have collected so far between 12-15 pipes, The little wooden Pipe Rack doesn't work well for me because I don't have many cookie cutter pipes, Mine are pretty good sized, like the Ben Wade Freehand, and Preben Holm Freehand. I have 4 of the Il Cepo's they just smoke so well, and they are so large I would need something like that Cabinet to store them. I've been looking on E-bay trying to hone in on a better solution to store pipes and tobacco's. I went by Wal Mart the other evening, and picked up a dozen Mason Jars for my samplers and Tins, then picked up a dozen Ball Canning Jars for larger amounts of Tobacco as you suggested. They work perfectly, But now I have a counter full of Mason and canning jars lol, guessing it's a good problem to have. So anyway, the Rack doesn't fit for me either, so thinking more along the lines of cabinet, problem is online they start about $200 and easily reach $500, and I always think if I'm going to spend that kinda money, I want to see it up front, feel that the wood is good quality, make sure it's worth the money rather than see a picture online, then receive something in the mail that I could have made in 30 minutes and spent $20 dollars for lol.
  • Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited October 2019
    @Casper
    The At Home store is located where the old Sears used to be at the old Slidell Mall on Northshore Blvd. 

I keep a lot of my tins and mason jars in a decorative footlocker my wife found at Hobby Lobby. Mine has an anchor and a ships wheel on it for decoration.