Home General

New to the forum? Introduce yourself!

Comments

• motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2017
    I join with my fellow pipers in saying, "Welcome @Rusty69." Glad to have you join us in TPL. We look forward to your comments and participation.

Oh, and I'm from Northern NJ....
  • Rusty69Rusty69 Newcomer
    Thank you for the welcome gentlemen.  Looking forward to sharing various forms of wisdom or jackassery as the case may be.
  • (Oh, I like this one already)
  • Rusty69Rusty69 Newcomer
    My wife would warn you not to encourage me........but what does she know really?
  • They know everything: It's not a different sex; it's a different species.
    But what are ya gonna do?
  • piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    It appears with the changes to TPL forum I am now considered a newcomer :D  HA HA HA or at least that is what my new title is. After being on here over a year I am starting over again I guess, it doesn't hurt to reintroduce myself either way; I reside in southwest Ohio close to Cincinnati and am very lucky to have a couple of brick and mortars within close vicinity to be able to visit: Straus Tobacconist, Carrousel Keyer Tobacco Shoppe and Bell's House of Tobacco. I have been enjoying my pipes for over 10 years. I am also very luck to be able to pipe muse with my brother-in-law and share different blends and tins with him. I have a wide range of pipes from clay, meerschaum, morta (bog-oak), corn cob and of course briar. My selection of blends varies with the seasons, summer and spring are more Virginia or Virginia-Perique along with Burleys and fall and winter I like Balkan or Latakia and I always enjoy a good aromatic regardless of season. I enjoy my pipes when relaxing in my back yard or with close friends/colleagues and on occasion at a pipe show when I can attend them. Really enjoy TPL forum and all of the great information shared, the pipe images are also a treat especially the rare or eccentric ones.
  • motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2017
    @piperdave -- I began pipe smoking in 1964 while attending UC. I lived in Cincinnati for a decade, before moving to Middletown OH, right up I-75. Thence to Fargo ND for two years, and finally the East Coast in 1984

Is Straus Tobacco still in business in downtown Cincinnati?
    edited August 2017
    @Lucashenson89 welcome to TPL forum, based upon the map of NC I looked at you are not far from Gatlinburg. Not sure how far you care to drive but there is the Gatlinbulier Tobacconist located in the Gatlinburg mall and they are not only super friendly but have a nice selection of bulk tobaccos aro and non-aro. They also will allow you smoke in the store since they were grandfathered in when changes came about. Wonderful and extremely knowledgeable guy working behind the counter too ask for Richard.

@motie2 Yes, Straus is still downtown and they have a second store located in northern Kentucky by the Florence mall. I am sure a lot has changed since you were last in town. :D they still are going strong with pipes and cigars.
  • I'm impressed with that. The Cigar Shops near me carry so paltry a selection of pipe releated stuff that it's not worth going in. Oh, they'll special order anything you want, but at a premium. You'll do better on the internet.
  • Hello all. J from Sandy OR. Just now able to post after joining about 7 or 8 months ago. Started smoking pipe regularly about a year and a half ago. My grandfather smoked Half & Half exclusively when I was a kid. Fond memories there. My tastes are decidedly English generally, though I'm starting to warm up to Virginias now after a bad experience in the beginning. My new love however is Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake, can't get enough of that stuff! Irish whiskey is my favorite pairing, when possible. Coffee in the morning. Though sometimes that whiskey finds it's way into the coffee too... I have no fellow smokers here in the boonies, so looking forward to discussion and shenanigans here. 
  • @piperdave,I think I may have seen you at the NASPC show on Sat. You were with another gentleman and you were getting ready to leave,I recognized you from your YouTube videos, I was talking to someone that I met who was from Cleveland and he was interested in our pipe club so I couldn't be rude and leave, this was around 12:30, was that you? I wanted to introduce myself but you were getting into your vehicle.
  • @baconjacket -- "It's not a REAL sandwich, unless it's got bacon in it".... so now, we are a real website!!!
    Welcome!!! Look forward to your comments and contributions....
  • @baconjacket - Welcome to the party. Where in Oregon is Sandy?
  • @pipeman83 Yep, that was me and my brother. We drove up Saturday and stayed till middle of the day before making the trip back to Cincy. Normally our wives come with us and we make a weekend of it being in Dublin and visit some of the local restaurants in Columbus like Schmidt's in the German village but my brother's wife recently had surgery and couldn't make the trip this year so we just drove up & back on Sat. Sorry that I missed you, I did see a fellow member from our local pipe club on the bench just outside of the entrance before we left, I was glad to see someone from our local pipe club, hopefully you were able to add another to your club ranks.

• @Rusty69 Welcome to the group my friend. My Dad was a cigarette smoker so I didn't get my interest in pipe smoking from him ... but I did learn a lot about cursing when I worked with him at the Steel Mill. He had a completely different vocabulary on the job than at home. And I learned some might spicy words when things didn't go his way. I too live in a place where I have yet to run into a fellow pipe smoker, so I'm happy to have found this site. Since I do smoke aromatics I've had plenty of nice comments about the aroma of my pipe ... but I doubt that I've enticed anyone to take up the hobby.
  • <<Place holding post to keep the folder near the top for newcomers.>>
  • Good evening gentlemen. My name is Casey and I reside in the rolling hills of Missouri in a small town called Labadie. I started smoking the ole pipe just shy of two years ago and instantly found a long awaited pastime. Joined here a few weeks ago and learned quite a bit just rummaging through the posts....much obliged. 
  • Well, @Cruxsearch -- Welcome to TPL as a participating member.
    We all look forward to your comments and contributions.
    What kind of tobacco(s?) do you smoke? 
  • @PappyJoe Thank you! We're about 25 miles from Portland, close to Mt. Hood. About a 40 minute drive to Timberline Lodge (if you're a fan of The Shining, it's the snow covered lodge seen in the beginning).
  • @baconjacket Ok. I didn't visit the Mt. Hood area when I was in the Pacific northwest. I was based in Seattle mostly but worked cases along the Washington & Oregon coast.
  • <<Place holding post to keep the folder near the top for newcomers.>>

• @PappyJoe It's a beautiful area. Unfortunately we're currently burning down. So smoky and stinky outside its turning me off of latakia! Well... not really.
  • @baconjacket as I told my niece up near Seattle, we would send some water from SE Texas if we could. 
  • @PappyJoe I know! What a mess. A bit of equilibrium with the elements would be nice, what the heck
  • Grew up on Grandfathers tobacco farm in North TN, actually from what has been dubbed the "dark fired tobacco capitol of the world",  always had a soft spot for anything tobacco, started with cigars and picked up pipes eventually, still smoke cigars when its more convenient (golf course, fishing, etc.) but prefer pipes overall.  
  • @RobmanMT -- Welcome to our (almost exclusive) Brotherhood. We look forward to your comments and contributions. You'll have to tell us more about your grandfather's farm.
  • Welcome!!@RobmanMT, good to have you aboard!