Home General

New to the forum? Introduce yourself!

Comments

• PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    I hope it wasn't in a circle.
  • Hey, This is Greybeard. I'm new top this pipe life. Heard about it from Country Squire, been a pipe smoker for a few years, but don't consider myself good, or an expert at smoking but looking forward to learn.
  • motie2motie2 Master
    @Greybeard -- Welcome, sir! Join right in; we're all (mostly) friends here. We look  forward to your comments and participation.
  • Hello everyone, I'm Lucas from NC. I'm relatively new to pipe smoking, and thank you to all the useful content one this site.
  • motie2motie2 Master
    I'll try the John Oliver one again: "Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!"

It's really heartening to see new members joining. @Lucashenson89 we look forward to hearing from you. 

Just jump in and contribute to our conversations.

Lemme ask you: House Aromatic, House English/Oriental, or House Virginia/Perique (VaPer) blend smoker, or have you not yet declared an allegiance? 
  • motie2motie2 Master
    <<Place holding post to keep the folder near the top for newcomers.>>
  • Honestly by relatively new, I meant I've not a clue what I'm doing. I was given my fathers old "yello-bowl" and found a bit of sir Walter raleigh. However my assumption is it would have been considered "bad" quite a few years ago. Care to recommend a place to start ? Bear in mind I am already a smoker if it matters. Thanks
  • motie2motie2 Master
    @Lucashenson89 -- So you are embarking on a great adventure! 
    I've sent you some basic info. What do you think of it?
  • I'll go pick up some light barley tomorrow, and give it a go. As for the birar pipe, is mine not recommended? And thanks for all the info.
  • @Lucashenson89 Welcome! On the subject of if Yello-Bowls, and if they're good pipes, honestly, if you like it, then it's a good pipe. While there are some pipers out there who would probably turn their nose at the Yello-Bowl brand since they're more of a budget brand of pipes, that doesn't mean they're bad pipes in the least. And since that pipe has history to you, hang onto it and learn how to smoke a pipe with it. If I had any pipes given to me from a pipe smoking relative, I'd keep it in my rotation no matter the brand.

• PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Mr. Badger, 
    You make me feel a little guilty that mine just sits there on the rack. I suppose it deserves to be taken out once in awhile.
  • @Lucashenson89 - There is nothing wrong with a Yello Bowl. I have an imported briar Yellow Bowl Spartan that was my grandfather's and he died in 1979. I still smoke it occasionally. Also nothing wrong with Sir Walter Raleigh. It may be considered an "old codger" over-the-counter blend, but a lot of people still smoke it. 

Part of what I personally like about pipe smoking is the exploration of all the tobacco out there. I started pipe smoking in 1972 and still haven't found "The One" that I want to smoke all day, everyday.

I would also subscribe to the Country Squire Radio podcast and listen to all of their back episodes. Lots of knowledge there.
  • motie2motie2 Master

• motie2motie2 Master

• motie2motie2 Master

• trhotontrhoton Newcomer
    Hello All,
    I am just getting started in pipe smoking and found this forum. I have been piping for about two months now and find it is the most relaxing hobby i have ever had. I believe i an going to end up a Peterson guy as i am already starting to collect. But who knows! If anybody has any tips trick or pointers feel free to share!

Thanks,
    TDR
  • Oh My God ... new people! I stopped coming to look at this because no one was responding ... now I'm glad I did. To all I say Welcome to the group.

@randelli I picked up my first Kaywoodie a few weeks back. Almost didn't buy it because the stem wouldn't screw into the proper position. The first time I saw it in the store and noticed the defect I passed on it. Then I happened upon a YouTube video showing how to repair the problem  - went back to the store and bought it - did exactly what the video suggested ... and BANG ... got my first Kaywoodie. It's one of the less collectible type made in the 70s' - but still a nice smoker. You suggest you're not a collector. I'm not sure most of us were not collectors either when we started, until we found ourselves buying a larger capacity pipe rack. And once that happens all bets are off.

@jfreedy When you said your wife is literally a rock star were you being facetious or is she a bona fide rock and roll star? I'm an ex-musician myself and know how hard it can be to hold down a full-time job, pursue a career as a musician, and attempt to be a good parent at the same time. And that's as a Dad. Being a Mom is a much harder job. And even if she not actually a literal rock star - but a Mom raising three kids - that still a rock star, plus a bit of lion tamer, juggler, chef, referee, handyman (handyperson), race car driver, nurse and boo boo kisser, and a dozen other jobs that comes here way in the course of a day. 

@dabunny11 I've got the collecting bug as well but I'm more along the lines of the old Universal Classic Monsters and the movie ALIEN. It can be a passion that quickly gets out of control if your better half doesn't give you the evil eye once in a while as you're ordering something off EBAY. I know a lot of Disney collectors but you are the first Looney Tunes. Glad to have you with us. I just received an order from P&C yesterday with my first tin of W.O. Larsen 1864. Can't crack it open until Christmas because I justified this last order as a Christmas present.

• Welcome @trhoton!  You'll find us a helpful bunch. Almost every general pipe smoking question has been asked and answered hereabouts. A good start is to use the search function at the top of most pages, or just wander through the many folders. If you have any immediate questions or concerns, ask away. Try to find an appropriate discussion to post in, but sooner or later, someone will step up to help you. I have a lot of pipe smoking stuff that I'm willing to share, and I'm sure others will lend their opinions and expertise. What do you want to know? BTW, are you a English, Virginia/Perique (VaPer), or Aromatic smoker. What do you prefer or are you a genralist
  • @ghostsofpompeii -- Yes, my wife really plays in a rock band. This is a local commercial featuring her. As you will see she's only a "part-time" rock star. That said, she's all mom and a great wife!
  • trhotontrhoton Newcomer
    Hello @motie2! I would say i am a generalist. So far i just about tried all the lane line. Paticular i like Crown Achevement, 1-Q and the dark red the most. Next up is the sutliff line i guess unless you guys can point me the best route. Thanks!
  • @trhoton -- Sutliff? A favorite brand amongst a few of us. We all agree on Vanilla Custard, by itself or mixed with almost anything. It's excellent. Molto Dolce is the Sutliff flag ship. The bulk Creme Brulee is comparable. @ghostsofpompeii is noted for -- amongst many other things -- creating am superb blend of several Sutliff tobaccos, resulting in a mixture whose whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It's almost transcendent for an aromatic pipe smoker. See:

My personal favorite is Sutliff Barbados Plantation, a rum flavored aromatic. 
  • JLTRowJLTRow Newcomer
    Good Morning All!

I'm new around here...

I picked my pipe back up a couple of months ago. I started smoking them in college but had put them down for several years. I have a basket briar and a couple of cobs. So far I've only smoked aromatics because that wonderful smell is what brought me into this hobby. Thank you all for all of the advice and direction that I have found so far. This looks like a great community of pipers!
  • @JlTrow -- You are correct, Sir! This is a great community of pipers, and we welcome you to our ranks! As an aro smoker myself, I'm pleased to see another aro smoker join our ranks, as we're in the minority here. But all of us, aro, English, and Va/Per, look forward to your comments and contributions. And don't hesitate to ask for advice.....
  • @JLTrow Welcome!

Nothing wrong at all with enjoying aromatics. While some pipers sneer their noses at aromatics, don't worry about them. I think most of us were intrigued by pipe smoking by smelling a wonderful aromatic, myself included. You enjoy what you like, and try what you're interested in. The world of pipe tobacco is huge, and there's so much to try and enjoy. Definitely try other types when you're ready, only because you won't know if you like it until you try it.
  • Welcome aboard Guys, We all enjoy talking about our favorite hobby and glad to answer any questions you have.

• <<Place holding post to keep the folder near the top for newcomers.>>
  • JLTRowJLTRow Newcomer
    edited August 2017
    Thanks for the @motie2, @thebadgerpiper and @woodsman for the warm welcome. I look forward to seeing you on other threads. I definitely plan to venture out and at least try each of the types of tobacco. I just sold my wife on this being a cheap hobby so I have to regulate my purchases if you know what I mean. She also isn't a big fan of even the best smelling room (porch) notes. 

I restarted with a tin of Cherry Ambrosia from Mac Baren and I'm finally getting to where I can smoke it without the apparently infamous "Mac Bite". I'm planning to try some Lane 1Q and possibly a light non-aromatic on the next purchase. Any suggestions on those? I've gotten some ideas on other threads.
  • @JLTRow I understand wanting to ease in, especially to keep your wife happy. Use wisdom with your purchases and keep some breath mints on hand. Also, I'd suggest keeping a set of clothes aside to smoke in, and changing clothes after you're through. I find these tend to help me out with my wife, though it doesn't always help :).

Lane 1-Q is a great choice, and even non-aromatic pipers will offer it as one of the "go-to" blends for starting out. For a non-aromatic, I'd point towards McClelland's Frog Morton. It's a popular English blend that I tried when I first started smoking a pipe. MacBaren Plumcake is another light English blend that I keep in my cellar that I'd recommend. MacBaren Navy Flake might be a good choice if you'd like to try a flake tobacco with some Virginia, but I think it has a nice aroma.
  • Does anyone have a suggestion for a substitute for Balkan Sobranie? I've tried BlackHouse, White Knight, Balkan Blue, and Sasieni. None of them did it for me. If I ever go back to English blends, I want something that will give me the pleasure I enjoyed with Balkan Sobranie.....