Home Tobacco Talk

What is your latest Tobacco Discovery?

I know there are some who just smoke the same old pipe tobacco day in and day out and never consider trying something new - whether it's a brand new blend or an old blend that's been around for decade.

I am constantly exploring new blends myself and have recently tried several of the Seattle Pipe Club's offerings. So far I've smoked Mississippi River, Deception Pass, Seattle Evening and Plum Pudding. I actually like Deception Pass and Seattle Evening the most so far.

What about you? What new discoveries in pipe tobacco have you made.

Comments

• KirbybKirbyb Newcomer

In the last 6 months I have made a pretty dramatic shift from English to Virginias, I have no idea why that happened, I got a wild hair to finally try some McClelland stuff, my local shop had #24 & #27 Matured Virginia in stock, I bought both cans, opened the 27 first and smoked the entire can in pretty short order. it was all I smoke for 2 weeks! I am hooked; smooth, subtle, layered, creamy, beautiful stuff. Since then I have been trying all kinds of Va & Va/Per blends. Orlick Golden Sliced, Luxury Navy Flake, Bullseye Flake, McClelland 2015, Newminster 400 all have been great smokes. I am a changed man.

• I just discovered L.J. Peretti I have been really enjoying Century, Belmont, and the Oriental No. 40

so far Oriental No. 40  is my Number 1
  • White Knight blew me away. I am new to pipe smoking (less than three months) and thought for sure that it was cased with something to give it that distinct 'floral'/'incense' flavor. Well, I now know that is Oriental. Quite an amazing tobacco. I can't say I will smoke it every day, but I definitely look forward to returning to this one on a consistent basis.
  •   I love English and Balkan blends. I am searching for my perfect tobacco, so I can be one of those one blend only guys. I haven't yet found my perfect blend, but I am having a blast searching! My latest trial was with Balkan Sasieni.  Nice blend... not nearly my favorite. So far Blackhouse and Gas Light are leading the pack! I would like to find a tarter Blackhouse or a sweeter Gas Light! I tried a Russ Oulette experimental blend that I find beyond compare! Alas, it is not due to come out until (at least) this Summer! With the new regulations coming down, I'm not sure he will even release it! One can only hope!
  • I really enjoyed my first few bowls of C+D Bijou. Looking forward to how it cellars. I also tried Brown Sugar Flake, which I enjoyed but smoked a little too fast and got tongue bit. Still learning to sip those Virginias. 
  • @pappyjoe Is the plum pudding overly fruity? I have heard great things, but am not a big fan of plum. 
  • @drewcausey - Plum Pudding is another one of those tobaccos where you sit back and say, "Why did the name this like they did?"
    It is a non aromatic Balkan Blend and no added flavoring.
  • rumrum4merumrum4me Professor
    I've been on a rum kick lately, and have been smoking C&D Black Frigate, and GH Rum Flake and Sweet Rum Twist. This has led me to drink more rum too, so I guess I'm becoming an old rummy.
  • KirbybKirbyb Newcomer
    I know I raved about Va & Va/Per blends above, however, I recently opened a 5 year old tin of Magnum Opus.....WOW! If you like your English, balkin blends, give this a go.
  • luckyguyluckyguy Newcomer
    I cannot imagine smoking the same tobacco repetitively.  Latakia is a daily requirement but a virginia or excellent aromatic is required for variety.  Old Iron Sides, Astley's 109, Escudo, Reiner's Professional, Old Dublin, Orlik's Dark Strong and others provide a good range.  I also smoke a medium strong cigar each day.
  • DernierDernier Newcomer
    edited June 2016
    At the recent Father's Day event at my local store I ran into Comoy's No. 7, No. 9, and found some Davidoff Danish Mixture. I enjoyed each of these, but I like topped and cased VAs, which is the case with Comoy's No. 9 and the Davidoff Danish I believe. Comoy's No. 9 is coin cut and has a good flavor, compared to P.S. Bullseye, which I never got much taste from.
  • Stockebye's Optimum. Nice berry topping.
  • Hello all - new here. Some of my new favorites are H&H Vintage Syrian, White Kinight, and Plum pudding for non-aromatic. Cult Blood Red Moon as the aromatic alternative. Try them if you haven't as yet.
  • LJ Peretti's Cuban Mixture... I can smoke it anytime of the day and all day long. Rare for me as I like a little variety and mainly smoke VA's and VA/PER's. I haven't come across a bad smoke yet from Peretti's.
  • @hvywldrnss I totally agree. I got on a Peretti kick about a year and a half ago and haven't been able to shake it. D-7485 was my thing for a long time. Then my buddy visits me from Boston and brings me a huge Peretti Sampler which I'm currently working through. D-9575 is my blend at the moment, but man, they're all really delicious old timey blends.
  • smokngunssmoknguns Newcomer
    I have been a big fan of St. Bruno, but the price is a little more than I want to spend for a tobacco that I would smoke a lot of, regularly. Someone recently recommended Mac Baren ODF to me as an alternative and I actually like it a little better, so it's my newest discovery.
  • Kentucky Breeze by Holts Cigar Company is great. I picked up 2 oz a couple weeks ago and need to order a lot more soon!
  • My local tobacconist has a blend that he calls Ed's VaPe
    I can only smoke this sitting down. It knocks me on my ass. High nic kick!
    It's my first high nicotine blend. Occasional member of the rotation.
  • C&D Bijou is a new favorite. if your a Virginia/Vaper fan, give it a try, it may not be around much longer

• I recently got a sample of Newminster English Ultimate that was just great fresh from the dealer, I liked it so much I ordered a pound to cellar and I think I'll get 2 more as Newminster  is a recently formed company and probably wont be around after the Federal onslaught.
  • For me it's Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Black Twist Sliced. If I catch the scent of it sitting on the shelf it still makes me want to grab a pipe. I have been working through some of their other offerings as well but Black Twist is the stand out so far.
  • I've been exploring the Astley line; there's some good tobaccos here. The Mind Meld line has good quality offerings, as well. 
  • Lane's Dark Red. I was surprised with it being a cherry blend, it was quite nice. 
  • Three Nuns was a nice surprise. 
  • Ten Russians, is a English with a lot of Latakia and very full body. Love it.
  • Still a novice so I'm making my rounds of the classics. I just had my first bowl of Dunhill's 965. Shazaam! It was capital!
  • Getting prepared for the holidays, so I opened a tin of something I bought during the summer but haven't tried. H&H Egg Nog. I don't really taste Egg Nog but then again I have seldom smoked anything that actually resembles the name on the tin. I lived in Seattle for six years and there's nothing in Seattle Evening that reminds me of a Seattle evening for example. 
  • Peterson's Irish Oak, it is the very first pipe tobacco I smoked and was almost my last. I squirreled it away and recently came across the blend and thought I would give it another try. With a little more experience and 4 years of age on the tobacco I have to say I am quite impressed with the blend and happy I didn't throw in the towel.
  • I gave up pipe smoking over thirty years ago, and just took it up again. I still had three pipes from back in the day, and I purchased two more, used, from eBay. My first tobacco purchase was a Black Aromatic from EA Carey, followed by a tin of Erinmore Flake. I started perusing tobacco/pipe websites, especially PipesandCigars and TobaccoReviews. I would up buy two Sutliff blends: Maple Street and Molto Dolce. As suggested in one review, I mixed the two tins 50/50 resulting in the best Aromatic I've ever smoked; good tasting, great smelling, and NO BITE.
  • qmechanicsqmechanics Apprentice
    Hi
      Most recent hmmm.. I would say there are a few . John Cotton's entire line is very nice (Exception: I have not tried John Cotton's Sweet English) From number 1 Virginia forward English to Smyrna more stout English etc. the new John Cotton blends are nice reintroduced blends  by Russ.