Home General
Options

Pipes

BoatsnBoatsn Newcomer
Hello everyone, I've been looking for a new pipe, I have seen some pretty expensive ones, fairly new to the pipe smoking world, any suggestions on a good pipe to start with?

Comments

• Options
    I've never had a bad Savinelli. Well, I have 5 of them and they all smoke great. I also like meerschaum and there is one website that has pipes carved for each US military service. I have a Coast Guard one and it smokes great also. Personally, other than meerschaums, I've have more Italian pipes in my collection than anything else though. 

It really depends on what how much you are planning or want to spend.  
  • Options
    I have found a funny equation. Pipe plus tobacco plus smoker = good or bad. Sometimes I find a certain pipe and tobacco don't work well together, but then I try the tobacco in another pipe and I love it. Weird. The same goes for pipes. Sometimes I smoke one of my nice Savinellis and the experience was just off, but often I think it's me (smoking too fast, bowl too hot, tobacco cooks instead of smokes). Other times, I'll be camping and smoking one of my basket pipes and it's the best smoke of all time. So back to my equation: I've had cheap/no-name pipes that smoke great and I've had expensive Italian briars that smoke poorly.

Like @PappyJoe I lean toward Savinellis for 90% of my collection (some new and many estate pipes). I've been happy with my Stanwell and Comoy estate pipes and I bought a new Mastro Beraldi a few months ago that I love also. If you can find a good pipe shop, they might be able to help with some good estate pipes or reasonable new pipes.
  • Options
    Here are some more Italian pipes I have and like that were $120 or less for the ones I bought.

Maestro de Paja
    Mauro Armellini
    Stefano Santambrogio (Bought one for $80, used it in a long smoke competition a week later and won a $500 Rinaldo - both are great smokers."
  • Options
    denholrldenholrl Newcomer
    I have a sub-collection of Peterson's (including a few patent pieces), all purchased on eBay, all for less than $100, all good smokers and well-grained wood.  -  Rob D
  • Options
    BoatsnBoatsn Newcomer
    Thanks everyone, I will put all your advise to good use this coming week, heading to Ohio to visit in laws and there's a few nice pipe shops around where we'll be, I'll be sure and let everyone know what I get
  • Options
    I love my Peterson and  also my Country Gentalman cob 
  • Options
    KyohanKyohan Newcomer
    I would also look at the Dagner pipes - the ones I have are all great smokers.
  • Options
    You can't go wrong with a Peterson. I have several, and they're all great pipes. They lean more on the heavier side, but they just have a classic look to them.

You can also find Stanwells at an affordable price on P&C.com. I have a brushed black Lovat that is a great smoker.
  • Options
    InderbibInderbib Newcomer
    I am a long time smoker and in my opinion, A pipe is a personal expression of the smoker and his mood.... Sometimes it's a cob, sometimes it's a straight English billiard, sometimes it's a large pipe, and sometimes it's small bowled beauty. Buy what you think you like, and if it works for you it will become a favorite... If not, you can move it along and try again. Just my two cents worth.
  • Options
    Stanwell, Peterson, and Savinelli all make consistently  good smoking pipes at reasonable prices. They all have their own look, so you should be able to find one that appeals to you. Just don't skimp! A poorly engineered pipe will always ruin the experience!
  • Options
    Boatsn - What did you decide on?
  • Options
    BoatsnBoatsn Newcomer
    Well Pappy, I have took some of everyone's advise, I got on eBay and won a vintage savinelli 809 Sherwood rock briar billiard, it arrives tomorrow. I'm still in Ohio and I went to the local pipe shop here and got an estate kaywoodie meerschaum lined, I have smoked several bowls with it and I must say it smokes great so far. I also got some pre packaged Connissuer, it's great, I'll get plenty more before I head home, thanks again to all for some great advise.
  • Options
    BoatsnBoatsn Newcomer
    Pappy, I just purchased my first Peterson, estate find on eBay, it's a Donegal Rocky, Hallmarked Sterling Silver, shape no. 5. Smokes really good, I am liking this pipe, and btw the savinelli smokes good as well, thanks again for the advise
  • Options
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    I settled on Petersons many years ago and have never looked back. I have six pipes in my current rotation and all of them are Petersons.
  • Options
    Piper1704Piper1704 Newcomer
    Hello all, I was just wondering your opinion on Boswell pipes
  • Options
    thewanderingdudethewanderingdude Professor
    edited July 2016
    @Piper1704 Great pipes, great tobaccos, great guys. It's hard to go wrong with just about anything from Boswell's in my opinion.
  • Options
    @piper1704 They are great pipes but get them as soon as they go on sale because they sell out in a few minutes to hours.
  • Options
    @thewonderingdude I couldn't agree more. Everything about Boswells is great!
  • Options
    I have several Stanwells that I like a lot. I am also find of the Cayuga, the house pipe line from Paul's in Flint.
  • Options
    Savinelli's are great , I have several of them, no complaints.
  • Options
    Stanwells are in my collection as well as jeroge jensens a number of meers..2 kirk bosi and just 1 brebbia..i hope to add a brebbia or two someday! i find them great smokers..as for Savs i have had two and both were terrible..bowls would fall off the stem while smoking and that was very bad considering that i was trucker at the time i had them and trying to find a bowl  while driving an 80000lb rig is not a good thing to do
  • Options

My preference is a Peterson pipe.

I don't have the P- Lip stem or one of the patented Peterson system pipes. My two Peterson pipes are from the Dracula series and the limited edition Jekyll & Hyde. And with the holiday's slowly creeping up on us I may toss my wife a few hints on an Army mount bent pipe that has caught my eye.

• Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    edited July 2017
    I've yet to find a more overall pleasurable pipe smoking experience than a Peterson System pipe. (Specifically, their 302 and 303 xl shapes smoke amazingly.) I own 6 Peterson's, and all but one are excellent smokers. I also own 5 Savinelli's, and all smoke great. I agree that Savs are typically a little lighter then Petes. I've never smoked a Savinelli dry system (which are basically their answer to Peterson's System pipe). Bottom line... you can't go wrong with either brand. They are both excellent.
  • Options
    mseddonmseddon Professor
    If you're willing to spend $100-$150 you really can't go wrong with Peterson's or Savinellis. Briar Works offers fantastic pipes in the $90-$100 range. I recently picked up a Ropp pipe for more in the $60-$75 range and have been extremely pleased with it. 
  • Options
    I can't seem to get away from good Italian pipes. My collection now has 2 Rinaldo's I've won in long smoke competitions, 5 Savinellis, a Santambrogio, a Mauro Armellini, a Maestro de Paja and a Masestro Bernaldi.

All of them are great smokers and in my weekly rotation.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    4 of my 6 pipes are E.A. Carey's
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
  • Options

@motie2 I already get strange looks from Soccer Moms who seem to object to my very existence when they see me smoking my pipe along the walking trails in the park. I can imagine what they'd think if they saw me with that in my mouth. But you're absolutely right ... I'd love to have one in my collection. I've already got a photo shoot in mind for it. But I'm afraid my twisted sense of humor would get me killed because the first thing I'd do with that pipe is walk into a bank and say ... "Nobody move - or I'll shoot." 

• Options
    @motie2, I am guessing that is a Stephen Downie pipe. He has quite the imagination when it comes to creating unique pipes.