Home General
Options

Blend Stacking

Although I've been smoking for several decades I was completely unaware of the existence of a vibrant Pipe Smoking Community and the notion of pipe smoking as a hobby. So you can imagine my surprise when I discovered the extensive YouTube Pipe Community populated by friendly, informative, and highly entertaining Pipe Presenters and personalities - as well as an active on-line discussion groups like The Pipeline. This is all fairly new to me. So with that in mind, if I bring up a topic that's been discussed ad nauseam please forgive me ... I'm a newbie and not quite up to speed.

I imagine everything under the sun pertaining to pipe smoking has been discussed by seasoned pipe smokers, but in my 50+ years of smoking I never considered doing this until yesterday. So maybe it's not such a common practice, and worthy of discussion.

And that is ... stacking blends.

I'm not talking about hand-mixing a combination of blends like a groomer shampooing a poodle, but meticulously layering and packing three or more separate and distinct tobacco blends in the pipe bowl like a brick layer, stacking one on top of the other. Creating a pipe smoking experience akin to eating three-layered Neapolitan ice cream one flavor at a time.

I've only tried this with heavily cased flavored aromatic blends so I'm not sure if it would create the same effect with non-aromatic English blends. And the blends I selected were harmonious flavor combinations that normally compliment one another, and not some juxtaposition of clashing flavors that jar the taste buds into submission.

The three flavor combinations which proved positive results were: a top layer of Sutliff Coconut Almond, followed by Sutliff Chocolate Mousse (a combination that already taste like an Almond Joy candy bar) and at the bottom of the bowl a layer of C&D Corn Cob Pipe And Button Nose (adding a touch of roasted marshmallow and graham cracker). My second three-layered delight consisted of a top layer of Hearth & Home Egg Nog, a second layer of Sutliff Pumpkin Spice, and at the bottom of the bowl was Sutliff Vanilla Custard. And my third combination was a real winning pipe smoking experience tasting like something out of a Fanny May Chocolate Sampler, consisting of the following blends - a top layer of Sutliff Molto Dolce, a second layer of Sutliff Black Cherry, and a bottom layer of Sutliff Chocolate Mousse.

I hope to continue these mad scientist experiments with fruit flavors and eventually find some worthy combination pairing rum and whisky with maple, molasses, or butterscotch. My search for the ultimate Neapolitan pipe bowl continues.

I'd like to know if stacking is a common practice and other members routinely do it, and if so what combination has provided the best results and most enjoyable smoking experience. And I'd also like to know if stacking works for non-aromatic English blends as well. 

Comments

• Options

@ghostsofpompeii, I have heard of the technique, but I have never experimented with it. I suppose, my mentality is that it would be akin to buying three different single barrel bourbons, and mixing them together. At that point, you would have the equivalent of a small batch bourbon, which sells for less than a single barrel.

On a positive note, pipe tobacco is much cheaper than single barrel bourbon, so the experimentation would be much more economical. LoL

• Options
    I have done similar albeit not with the same motive. I do it when I come to the end of a tin and there is not enough left to fill my pipe. I put it in the bottom and pack something else on top with little consideration to the flavor combination.
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    What you call stacking is what we in the hobby call parfaits. Long before the internet The Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris would include parfait recipes. Since were on a Lane board I'll note that 1Q/CB Royal really goes great with the 90's/early 2000's bulk CA (the stuff with no perique). I'm a cigar smoker and the clipped heads really taste good layered in with any light Balkan mixture. I smoked a cigar/PSBS/cigar/PSBS parfait yesterday and it was delicious!
  • Options
    Wow, what a great idea. 
  • Options
    I do it all the time with both blends (I blend my own most Lat-bomb English and non-aromatic Virginia and Cigar-leaf based blends) and also with blending to blending tobaccos. This morning, I did a bowl layered thusly...heel-base: Cubed Virginia/Burley; middle-Perique; top Latakia. 

Twas mellow....
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    I don't like to waste tobacco, so I often stack as a means of using up the small bits that are left at the bottom of a pouch or tin. I found that if I packed these tiny pieces at the bottom of the pipe, I had a good chance of getting fleas or of clogging the draft hole. This problem was solved by first packing some fresh tobacco and then stacking the small bits on top. Like PappyJoe, I've seldom paid attention to the flavors involved.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Excerpt from Pipestud’s First Responders Newsletter 5/25/19
    Pipestud's Consignment Shop
    Buying and selling your tobacco tins and tobacco pipes since 2003!
    https://www.pipestud.com/

<<Pipe Smoking Tip

For many pipe smokers, layering different kinds of tobacco blends (I call it a pipe parfait), presents interesting new flavors that can really enhance your smoking enjoyment. A friend of mine likes smoke Virginia/Perique blends that he swears are better when layered rather than mixed together. He loads the bottom third of the bowl with straight Perique followed by the upper two thirds of a favorite straight Virginia. He says that as the smoke from the Virginia goes through the Perique, it gently picks up subtle nuances of the Perique. Further, as he progresses down the bowl the Perique sensation gets stronger. When it reaches a point where he thinks the Perique presentation is too strong, he simply lets his pipe go out. And here's one I like for desert. I love the taste of Lane's 1Q, but only mildly. So, I first put a third of a bowl of that blend in a pipe I reserve for aromatics and then fill up the rest of the pipe with a straight Burley. It is well known that Burley provides body and strength but does not give off much taste of its own. As the smoke from the Burley travels down the bowl and through the stem, it picks up just enough of the flavor of the Lane's 1Q to keep me satisfied. A sweet after dinner desert with no calories! >>