Home General
Options

Best bourbon pairing

What bourbon do you like to drink while smoking?

Mine: Roman's creek.

Comments

• Options

When I was based in Germany I developed a taste for Jim Beam, I can't drink too much any more but, I did have some Crown Royal with a pipe of Balkan Sasieni up in Niagara last weekend.

• Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    Jack Daniel's. And please, let's not start that crap about how it isn't technically bourbon. It's close enough for me.
  • Options
    I don't drink much anymore but I prefer single barrel whisky these days. 
  • Options
    I also enjoy Jim Beam.

Usually, if I'm going to have a neat drink with a bowl of VaBur or VaPer, I pour some Sailor Jerry's spiced rum. It is definitely rum, but I think of it as rum for bourbon drinkers.
  • Options

My bourbon of choice is Michter's.

• Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    Don't have a preference on bourbons other than it is better when it's OP.
    Scotch is different, if I'm buying it , it will be Glenfiditch.However, I'm
    currently working on a fifth of Johnny Walker Red.
  • Options
    Trader Joe's Bourbon is great!
  • Options
    I prefer my Scotch 'neat' with a VaPer/VaBur blend and on the rocks with Drambuie drizzled over it ("Rusty Nail") with Latakia blends.
  • Options
    Drambuie is good with bourbons, also. The added cool and sweet of ice and Drambuie helps highlight the sweetness of both the Lat/Oriental blends and the bourbon for me... of course, there is no accounting for taste, so YMMV.
  • Options
    I rarely smoke and drink at the same time, but when I am drinking I am really partial to Four Roses. Their single barrel offering can be had for around $40, and their small batch is around $30. Both are an excellent value, without breaking the bank.
  • Options
    I try to keep my purchases in the less then $30 dollars per bottle range, given that, give Bulleit, Old Grand Dad 100 & 114 a try. Great values and they go with just about anything you care to smoke in the non aero category.
  • Options
    dstribdstrib Apprentice
    Been leaning more towards wheated bourbons lately. Picked up a bottle of WL Weller which is made by buffalo trace distillery.
  • Options
    I like Maker's Mark and I love to pair it with some Frog Morton's Cellar.  Unfortunately I don't smoke inside, and the only place I have to smoke outside is in my truck, so I don't get to indulge in both at the same time very often!
  • Options
    Some thoughts from a front porch in Kentucky:

If you like the sweeter profile that comes from a wheated bourbon and want a cheaper bottle, then go with Rebel Yell. For the price it's a solid bourbon even if it lacks some complexity.

If smooth bourbon is what you're after and you've got some extra spare change, I highly recommend Woodford's Reserve Double Oaked. Wow, it's good.

Personally, I love the strength, spice, and complexity of Booker's. I can get it for about $40 a bottle and will go through about only four a year because it is undeniably a slow sipping whiskey.
  • Options
    Haven't had Rebel Yell in decades. Another older wheated bourbon you may want to think about is W.L. Weller which is now made at the Buffalo Trace Distillery. Weller used to have several different whiskeys available but I don't know if they are all being produced now.
  • Options
    Well while I like a fine Bourbon and I have paired Bourbon with Cigars, I have never drank while smoking a pipe.
    My go to Bourbons are Woodford Reserve Double Oaked and VanWinkles I also like Wild Turkey American Honey which might pair well with some Aromatics I have. 

I love most Whiskeys, Rums and so on, heck I like most Alcohol but I don't drink as much as you would think. I like trying expensive brands but don't think the cheaper brands are that bad, some are actually good. 
    OK Off track here, I will do some pairing and see what happens....
  • Options
    Old Weller Antique 107 is like a modest man's Pappy in these parts. If you can find it in your neck of the woods, snatch it up.
  • Options
    Another bourbon that I have sampled recently that has a really fair price point, is Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage. In my neck of the woods, a 750 can be had for just shy of $30. This one doesn't offer the astringency of some of the higher proof bourbons, and has some nice legs on it.
  • Options
    @tomatobodhi -- I was a Sailor Jerry's drinker myself (a hilarious rum made in Edison NJ of all places), but recently switched to Jonah's Curse Black Spiced Rum. I recommend it to your attention; a great sippin' rum for when you're enjoying a bowl full. Also a great mixer.... and 90+ proof, yet smooth with no alcohol burn. I don't know how they do it.
  • Options
    Lately I've been sipping Jameson Caskmates Irish whiskey. It puts the oooooth in smooth.
  • Options
    CerozeroCerozero Newcomer
    Four Roses & Basil Haydens
  • Options
    Personally I love Elijah Craig 18 yrs. Hoes great with whatever I'm smoking