Home General

Pipe Smoking on the Go ...

Hey all,
I'm new here, but thought I'd add to the conversation talking about how we travel with our pipes. I wrote a post on my blog ( bit.ly/1NTnJ0U ) and thought it would be cool to share the different ways to go about it. So please, share. If anyone is local, let me know, I'd love to hang out.

Comments

• hloakeshloakes Newcomer
    I have made a couple of leather roles and am now working on a bag that will contain several sleeves and space for some bags or tins and various accessories.
  • daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    I have a lot of pipe luggage but I carry and recommend bags by Neil at Smokingholster.com. As a former road warrior my Ultimate Pipe Bag was my constant companion and travels with me to pipe shows and vactions.
  • Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    I do a lot of camping by motorcycle, and I always pack a pipe to bring along. A Julius Max pouch that's just big enough to hold a Peterson, some tobacco, a pipe tool, and a few pipe cleaners seems to work just fine. There's not much better than enjoying a few bowls in the evening while sitting around a campfire.
  • I just tried going to Smokingholster.com and got one of those nice "Can't find that page" messages. 
  • Found it. www.smokinholster.com  They have some really nice looking pipe bags but a tad bit above my price range. I'm going to have to start saving up to get the one I like.
  • I found a set of c. 1962 Falcons at a flea market. They were in a zippered pouch with loops for four bowls, two loops for stems, a large strap for a tobacco pouch and a pocket for a tamp. It contained one straight silver stem and four bowls. I recently added a brown bent stem and another bowl. I just grab it and go, knowing I'm set up for a five day rotation. I posted more about the Falcons in answer to another inquiry about metal pipes, if anyone is curious about them.
  • I have a few cheap pouches, and my wife makes fun of me stating that it looks like I am bringing a hand purse to the bar when I go out. Any suggestions for a hard case that is more 'manly'? 
  • drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I have nothing to fancy.  I have a messenger bag I load for bear (at least enough different tobacco to keep e happy no matter the mood).  If I just need a grab and go I use a military style bag from maxpedition, the FR-1 Medical Pouch, http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/FR-1â„¢-Pouch-7p404.htm  It has enough room, loops, and pockets that I can fit a ton of pipe cleaners several tools 2-4 pipes and some tobacco.  I came across the idea from a forum several years ago and love the investment.  @pipeprofessor the hard cases I use are just portable cigar humidors like what xikar makes that I have picked up at antique stores or I use Plano cases http://www.planomolding.com/tactical/waterproof-storage-cases
    Before I forget I found this wonderful company that makes incredible leather products, Legendary Saxon Artisan Leathers http://www.legendarysaxon.com/lifestyle They make incredible leather pouches for pipes, cigars, and other items.  I have a pipe pouch and just absolutely love it.
  • I've got an old case that holds 5 pipes, and has plenty of room for tobacco and accessories. I'll stash several kinds of tobacco in labeled ziploc bags. This works well for an overnight or weekend jaunt.
    I also have a nice zipper pouch with a pipe loop, tobacco storage, etc. Works great for short trips.
    Last summer my kids and I rented a cottage for a week. I drove up. I put my rack of 14 pipes in a cardboard box and carefully put it in the car. I tossed several cobs in a canvas tote, along with fresh tins of Old Dublin and Dunhill Standard, a can of Lane RR, and a bag of Arrowhead from Paul's up in Flint. Kept me happily smoking all week.
  • Thanks @drac2485 I have been thinking about converting a cigar caddy.
  • LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    I have a pipe/tobacco pouch and a tobacco wallet.If I plan on smoking a lot I have a couple cobs
    I toss in a pocket or grab a second briar.I have thought of getting one of those small metal cases
    from walmart and cutting some form fitting foam for my pipes.
  • I have two bags I use depending on how long I'm going to be gone and/or how much I want to take with me. One is a camo colored shave kit that will actually hold 4 or 5 tins and at least 6 pipes (depending on the pipes, I could probably put 10 different cobs in it). It's what I normally carry on a weekend trip or to a pipe club meeting. The other is an old soft tackle bag that I can pack even more tobacco and pipes inside and has pockets on the outside for pipe cleaners, lighters, pipe tools and square tins of tobacco. While I have used it for pipe club meetings, it's the one I take if I will be away from home for more than a week.
    @pappyjoe I like the idea of a soft tackle bag and will have to look into it.  Right now I have a tobacco bag that all my friends know and love, as I normally am the supplier, that is just a cheap messenger bag.  It does the job to through in a bunch of pipe and more tobacco than I can smoke in a month but it lacks organization and I am afraid I'm going to break something one of these days.  I do, kind of, organize it with different pouches, hard cases, and tupperware but it leads to a very odd shaped bag and places for things to get lost or just more empty space than I like.  If there is a hole I will fill it with more tobacco...
  • I smoke a lot... so I carry a lot. I use an old 50 cal ammo can. enough for 5 or 6 cigars, 2 jars of pipe tobacco, 2 pipes, a jar of cigarette tobacco, and  tobacco tools (cutter/tamp/papers)
  • I' m headed out on vacation today. Like @PappyJoe I use a soft sided tackle box for my longer trips. It carries all my tools, lighters fuel etc. I have six pipes and way too much tobacco in there, but hey, it's my vacation and I need to be prepared lol.IMG_8229
  • I just got a maxpedition pouch from amazon. I love it. Before that, I used a 50 cal ammo can as well. For longer trips when I need to carry more I load up the ammo can but for day to day normal stuff I use my pouch.
  • mfresamfresa Master
    Old cigar boxes work well, as long as the pipe isn't too long.