Home The Pack

Welcome to The Pack!

Welcome to This Pipe Life - the web's newest and most unique pipe lifestyle community. This is a place for everyone whether you've just gotten your first pipe or you're already a pipe pro. This section of the forum is the perfect place to introduce yourself. How did you get into the hobby? What's your favorite blend? Are you a member of a local pipe club or looking for one? Everyone's journey is a little different, we'd love to know your story and possibly feature it on the website.

Comments

• I'm John, papipeguy, from eastern Pennsylvania. I'm retired and have been smoking pipes since 1970.  I enjoy a variety of blend styles and very interested to learn more about this place. Happy Smoke Rings to all.
  • Good to hear! What prompted you to pick up the pipe in 1970? Also - out of curiosity, how did you find the site already? We'll definitely have a lot more updates shortly and we're glad to have you here!
  • Hi. My name is Joe. I am a pipe smoker.
    The guys at Country Squire Radio know me as PappyJoe. Smoked my first pipe in 1972.
  • jpbearitjpbearit Newcomer
    My name is Patrick and a 2nd generation pipe smoker. I'm a listener to CSR too. I just wanted thank y'all for supporting our favorite podcast. I hope y'all continue. I'll try to send folks your way.
  • edited May 2016
    My name is Zac Dewey. I am originally from Kingsburg, CA but am now a student at Reformed Theological Seminary in Orlando, FL. I got into smoking pipes back in 2008 as a senior in high school looking for a good way to enjoy the last few months with my friends before we all moved off to different colleges. Like other young kids, we started out with Swisher Sweets and Backwoods, but eventually we straightened out and traded in the gas station stogies for the pipes (though I still do enjoy a Backwoods from time to time! Lol). At the time we really had no idea what we were doing. We just knew we loved it.

Since then, smoking a pipe has become one of my favorite pastimes. As a seminary student, I do a lot of reading. That's basically my full-time job. So I've spent a good amount of time the past two years really diving into pipe smoking, scouring the internet for resources and tips and tricks. Unfortunately, Central Florida's pipe scene is really sad; cigars have drowned everything else out (I guess that's what I should expect with the Cuban culture). One of the key problems with this, for me, is that there is not a single pipe shop in the area. 

But, thankfully, my Old Testament professor, Dr. Mark Futato, is an avid pipe smoker. He and I have had a number of cool conversations about it, and he's even built me a couple of wooden pipe stands. One day he suggested I listen to Country Squire Radio, which is how I discovered this awesome website. 

I think this will be the perfect site to learn and grow in my pipe smoking knowledge and appreciation. I'm really looking forward to branching out and trying some new things. Cheers!
  • My name is Steve Bennethum from Madison, WI.......Started smoking a pipe in June of 2015, mostly to replace my 25 year cigarette habit! Well, it worked! Still haven't smoked a cig since and have no interest in returning to them. I have found a better place in the world of pipe smoking! Thank you to Country Squire Radio for existing and helping people like me, to learn the ways of the pipe!
  • Hi my name is Mike and I have been smoking and learning about pipes since 1983 and live in western PA..
    Hey John! BTW!
  • OldseadogOldseadog Newcomer
    Hi, glad to have found this. Been smoking a pipe since dessert storm 25 years ago.
  • Greetings!  I live in Michigan.  I bought a cheap pipe and occasional pouches of $%^# during college in the early '80s.  Bought a real pipe when I graduated and got married and discovered better quality tobacco.  The rest is history.
  • AnthonyAnthony Apprentice

Hi I'm Anthony,

Bought my first pipe in high School, our principal smoked one in the class room, he smoked 3 star blue. I loved  the smell and had to try it. Loved it. I smoked for many years and then got away from it, recently I have returned to my pipe as a way to stop , relax, and unwind. I look so forward to Friday nights we sit in the screen room and just decompress. on the celebratie end of things I think a notable one would be Fred MacMurary, in my 3 sons always had his pipe ready to help think through any situation. Also Frank Sinatra who loved tobacco, he smoked all three, but smoked a pipe, a lot like his idle Bing. just before his death he put out a line of cigars with his name on them. Almost  forgot Edward G Robinson, there is still a tobacco that bears his name.

• Hey, Kristy! Dan here from Standard Tobacco. Great to meet you at the Chicago show. I put that pin you gave me on my ever-so-snazzy pipe bag. Now...I'm cool at last.
  • RondyRRondyR Connoisseur
    I'm called Rondy, also known by many other inappropriate epitaphs.

I smoked my first pipe on my 18th birthday; that was twenty years ago.

I'm the only man in my family that smokes a pipe, so I never had my father or a grandfather or favorite uncle to look up to in that regard; for me it was the influence of Rite Aid and an old girlfriend's father. Back before the anti smoking hysteria, Rite Aid stores used to have an entire aisle filled with pipes and pipe tobacco and every time I was in one of their stores I would gravitate to that aisle. How I loved the smell! And at 17 I started dating a young lady whose father smoked a pipe; his basement was always filled with the delicious smell of cavendish.

My first pipe was a Dr. Grabow (I wish that I still had that pipe) and my first tobacco was Paladin Black Cherry. Considering just how much I dislike that blend it's almost a miracle that I stuck with it.

I'd say that my favorite aromatic blends are Captain Black White and Dark (I have pounds of each tinned up), and the Country Squire's Longbottom Leaf (need to buy some more of that, now that I mention it) and my favorite 'English' blends are Frog Morton On The Bayou, Hearth and Home's White Knight, and I really enjoy Vincent Manil's Semois.

I have just over 100 or so pipes in my collection and I'm passionate about anything to do with pipes and pipe tobacco. After I heard Beau and JD talk about This Pipe Life on the Country Squire Radio podcast I knew that I'd like it here. So thanks for the site, STG/Lane!
  • My name is Walt Cannoy, I smoke pipes all day every day, and have even been known to carve a pipe once in a while. Also, I love me some OGS!
  • hloakeshloakes Newcomer
    I live in Tucker, GA, outside of Atlanta. I have been in and out of pipes for 25 years. A few months ago I picked it up again and this time I am trying several different tobaccos, staying away from the heavy aromatics and having a better experience. I have also bought a couple of better quality pipes and finding a better experience with them as well.

I am fortunate to have a workshop in my backyard as well as a deck where I can sit and enjoy a bowl. I only wish we had a larger group od smokers in the area.
  • Stevedyh85Stevedyh85 Newcomer
    Steve D here.  Currently live in Newnan, GA, originally from Tucker (Howdy hloakes and KristySTGLaneLtd).  First tried pipes in college 30+ years ago but it didn't stick.  Enjoyed cigars for a while but have come back to pipes in the past few years.  I mostly enjoy Virginias and Virginia periques, can't stand latakia and I'm just not crazy about aromatics.
  • leshemp1leshemp1 Newcomer
    My name is Les Hemphill. I'm from Brandon, MS. Just a couple miles down the road from the legendary Country Squire. I'm still a newbie to the pipe smoking world. I've been smoking a pipe for about 9 months now, but have learned a lot from the YTPC and listening to CSR. Started w aromatics and now have ventured off toward english and virginia blends. Pipe smoking has become more than a hobby for me. Its become a stress reliever and has forced me to take time and just slow down and enjoy life.
  • Fletch here. Living the good life in sunny California. I bought my first pipe (Savinelli Roma) from a great little pipe shop back when I was in college (30yrs ago). I smoked through college and into dental school. Shamefully, I put my pipe away once we started having kids (I just didn't have an answer for them about smoking at the time). Last year, I pulled my pipe out of storage and thanks to eBay started building a nice little collection. Along the way, I've introduced my college-aged sons to good tobaccos and how to enjoy a nice evening smoke on the back porch. Glad to be here enjoying life's journey with you all.
  • kraigsederkraigseder Newcomer
    I got into pipe smoking about 20 years ago but didn't know anything beyond Captain Black. The pipe smoking tapered off with a move and the birth off my son. Actually I think I got into cigars more at the time since Captain Black didn't do much for me.
    About 5 years ago I got into woodworking and the thought of making a pipe sounded fun. After I made my first pipe I discovered real pipe tobacco. The rest is history. I enjoy the wide range of pipe tobaccos as much as I enjoy making pipes as a hobby.

• HaddoKenHaddoKen Newcomer
    My name is Kenji. I live in San Diego and have been pipe smoking for almost two years. HH Old Dark Fired is my favorite blend. I am smoking some now!
  • Hey Guys!
    I'm Charlene! I'm from Atlanta and lived here pretty much my whole life!
     After working hand in hand with pipe tobacco for about a year, I've finally smoked some Captain Black Royal and I loved it! 
  • Hey y'all!  I grew up just west of Jackson, MS for the first 19 years of my life, but I've been in Indianapolis, IN since 2003.  I've smoked pipes on and off from about '04.  I got real serious about pipes in '12.  My grandaddy was a pipe smoker and both me and my brother enjoy the hobby.  I love listing to the Country Squire Radio show as well as Pipes Mag podcast.  I'm a huge VA VaPer fan, but move towards more "wife friendly" (aka, I can smoke them inside) aromatics during the winter.  
  • KirbybKirbyb Newcomer

Nice to be here. I have smoked a pipe for close to 25 years now, coming to the pipe via the 90's cigar boom. Live in the San Francisco Bay Area where tobacco prices are pretty high but we have a few very good tobacconists supporting the community. Looking forward to seeing this group grow and prosper. Cheers

• Hey gang! I live in the central valley of California and been playing with pipes off and on since the early 2000's. Only within the last three years have I really gone off the deep end with the hobby, collecting pipes and stockpiling tobacco. I really enjoy the hobby and the whole community that surrounds it. As far as tastes, I really want to like virginia's like all the cool kids, but man, I just cant shake my burleys. I also love a good English blend, so it makes since that my favorite blend for this past year has been Peretti's D7485. Cheers
  • Howdy from the rainy NW ok the last few weeks its been sunny lol. I grew up in a with a grandfather who smoked cigars and pipes. 

I have been smoking pipes and cigars since I was in my early teens. Grandpa caught my brother and I smoking cigarettes so he thought he would fix us. He sat us down on the front porch and handed us cigars and sad you wanna smoke here smoke. My brother was puking his guts up before the band. I on the other hand finished the cigar just to have grandpa tell me "Just Don't Inhale You Little Bastard" haha from that time on I sat on the porch in the evening or out fishing with grandpa and smoked a cigar or pipes till his death little over a year ago. 

I have not settled on one type of tobacco yet I smoke whatever my mood. I love a good smoky english blend but do not hesitate to light up a bowl of aromatic. Grandpa smoked Cherry blend so I do have a fondness for the room note of Cherry tobaccos Lane Dark Red might be my go to aromatic.

I recently started to refurbish estate pipes not to sell but for my own enjoyment my latest is a Peterson XL 315 and it is fastly becoming my favorite pipe.

I have an 18 year old son who is my fishing hunting and do everything buddy and yes he smokes pipes and cigars with me all the time.

• piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    edited May 2016
    Hello everyone, my name is Dave and I live near Cincinnati, OH. began smoking a pipe off & on in '95 but didn't know what I was doing until much later. My father used to enjoy a pipe every now and then and that is how I got interested. I enjoy smoking with my brother (technically brother-n-law) and our local pipe club C.A.P.S. (Cincinnati Area Pipe Society) when I get the chance they meet once a month at a local tobacconist Straus in Northern KY. Heard about ThisPipeLife through CSR (Country Squire Radio). I enjoy reading everyone's comments. 
  • rumrum4merumrum4me Professor
    Hi, I'm Paul and have been smoking pipes on and off since the early 1980s, and regularly for the last 3 years. I was born and raised in Michigan, lived in California for a good part of my life, but now I'm retired and live in the boondocks in rural Mississippi with my wife who also smokes a pipe. We manage to drive the 100 miles down to The Country Squire in Jackson at least 4-5 times a year. 
  • BoatsnBoatsn Newcomer
    Hello all, my name is Scott and I'm new to the pipe smoking world, nice to meet everyone.
  • piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    @boatsn Welcome Scott, nice to meet you as well. If you are new to pipes I would say this is the place to ask questions. I would bet someone here could answer just about any pipe or tobacco question you may have.
  • PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited May 2016
    @boatsn Welcome to the club Scott. Is the user name short for boat seaman or something worse like boatswain mate?