Home Tobacco Talk

Tobacco we may have missed out on...

At the last New Orleans Pipe Club meeting I was give a small sample of Edgeworth Sliced, a tobacco which has been made for about 11 years. The member who had it, bought 20 tins when he heard it was going out of production. 

Frankly, I don't know why they stopped producing it but I think Lane Ltd. made a big mistake when they did. I'm told it was last made around 2005.

I won't put my own review on Edgeworth Sliced on here because I only smoked 5 bowls of it. If you are interested, there are some good reviews on tobaccoreviews.com.

Anyway, here's two questions. 

1. What out of production tobaccos have you smoked and wished they still made?

2. What out of production tobaccos do you wish you could have tried? You can include original versions of some of the current blends?

3. What current tobaccos are you going to stock up on because they may go the way of the Dodo bird and become extinct thanks to the evil empire of the FDA?

Comments

• I miss Kingfisher by Butera. It was a great little crumble cake. 
  • 1.  I'm not sure I've smoked anything that's since been discontinued...or at least, nothing that I wish I could get again, anyway.

2.  I'd have loved to have tried the GL Pease original blends that used the Syrian Latakia that went up in smoke in the big fire:  Bohemian Scandal, Mephisto, Raven's Wing and Renaissance.  They show up at pipe shows and online from time to time, but the rarity puts them well out of my price range.

3.  Fortunately, MOST of my favorites fall into the pre-2007 category.  Those that don't are GL Pease Embarcadero, The McClelland Grand Oriental series, and a number of John Patton's blends (mostly Storm Front).
  • I miss the Balkan Sobranie Original of the early 1970s. Very different from the current blend of that name.
    I am stocking upon Lane Ready Rubbed, Amphora Original, Capstan Blue and a couple of others. 
  • dstribdstrib Apprentice
    @judandhispipe From what I have read other places, Russ's Harth and Home WhiteKnight blend is close to Balkan Sobranie white label of the 70s. That is if you can find it in stock.
  • I've heard Wessex Burley Slice is supposed to be close to Edgeworth Slices. Otherwise, I wish I would've been able to try Butera's Kingfisher blend.
  • @dstrib, I've been smoking White Knight for quite a while. It's part of my regular rotation. It's pretty darned close.
  • I miss the old Three Nuns! Escudo and McConnel's Red Virginia are both great substitutes, especially with some age. But the new Three Nuns, while good in it's own right is no comparison to the VA/PER version of old!
  • Two of my Grandfather's best buds used to smoke Union Leader and the other Kentucky Club.
  • Mississippi River, I just hear a lot of people saying that it's not the same anymore.
  • Wally Frank's Old King Cole, it was my daily smoke for over 15 years.

Balkan Sobranie was one I never tried And I just discovered Edgewoth Ready rubbed and regret that I hadn't tried it when it was OTC everywhere.

Cellaring:  McClelland's 5110 Dark English, Newminster English Ultimate, Haunted Bookshop, Engine 99, Stokkeby's Luxury Bulls Eye Flake, Newminster's Sliced Superior Rounds, Carter Hall, Lane Limited RR, Black Cavendish, Many various tins.

Concentrating on TAD right now.

• I would have liked to try the original edgeworth's ready rubbed.  I really enjoy Lane's version but I've heard others say that its not quite the same. 
  • My paternal who I never met used to smoke Rum and Maple. Long gone I believe.
  • 1. Caledonian Virginia gifted to me by my retired B&M tobacconist. Wish I had a few more tins. Hoping Solani 633 is a close replacement.
    2. Wish I could try ThreeNuns of lore.
    3. I stocked up on McClelland 5110 and trying to mix my own duplication. I think it might be the stoved Virginia that gave it a wonderful room note.
  • motie2motie2 Master
    edited October 2018
    I'm with @judandhispipe

<<I miss the Balkan Sobranie Original of the early 1970s. Very different from the current blend of that name.>>

There was also a blend I enjoyed -- a Dunhill, I think -- that was called "221B Baker Street."
  • I would have to vote for McClelland Beacon.  Damn, I wish I had noticed sooner that it was going the way of the Dodo.
  • While this may seem obvious, frog Morton, and 3 cellars from mclelland. I have some of each, quite a bit of the frog Morton variants, but only 1.5 tins of 3 oaks left

as far as something i wish i tried but never had the opportunity to do so, frog Morton across the pond. I’m a huge frog Morton fanboy, it was my first ever pipe tobacco, and i never got the opportunity to try across the pond
  • mapletopmapletop Master
    edited October 2018
    Too many to list but I do lament that had I been paying attention, I would have dropped 500 - 1K on a number of McClelland's blends.
    " I have tears in my ears from laying on my back in the sack crying over you"

• With the loss of McClelland and Dunhill, there's a few blends that I should add to my list.

1) Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture
    2) Dunhill Early Morning Pipe
    3) Dunhill Nightcap
    4) McClelland Sherlock Blend Shag
    5) McClelland Sherlock Arcadian Mixture
    6) McClelland Deep Hollow
    7) McClelland Beacon
    8) McClelland Pebble Cut

I made the choice to avoid most of Dunhill's blends once they made the announcement, except 965. I stuck with one, just so I could grab a few tins, instead of spreading myself out. McClelland's closure completely took me by surprise, though. I had no insider knowledge that it was going to happen, and spent my pipe funds on IPSD on other blends. The announcement came right after, and all I could do was watch as all the blends were all snatched up. I only hope that it was McClelland fans that bought them, rather than people looking to make a quick buck later.

• @thebadgerpiper
     I purchased McClelland for the sole purpose of gifting and trading. No profit making, just grabbed what I could to share with folks who really like the stuff. If you are ever in need for the Frog, let me know.
  • That's very kind of you @Mangoandy . While I think I'm good with what I have at the moment, I wouldn't mind doing a trade in the future!
  • Between 2007 and 2011, I smoked several tins of Reserve 1928 that the local Tinder Box carried. When I came back to the pipe late last year, that is what I wanted, but couldnt find it. It was blended by McClelland. Recently saw two tins on ebay for 100 bucks.
  • One that I will missing is Wild Atlantic by Peterson. It was a mild all day English.
  • WilhelmWilhelm Apprentice
    1. Wish they still produced McClelland Black Woods Flake, I still have a little left in a jar for special occasions.

2. I came into pipe smoking as McClelland was leaving so I never got to try the Frog Morton Series and I refuse to pay Ebay prices.

3. With their recent disappearance from the mainstream market I am buying a few Dunhill blends every once in a blue moon just to have one for smoking and another to cellar, I also just found a cache of HH Vintage Syrian which has come to be a daily smoker for me.

• I came upon this thread, and was reminded of another blend I enjoyed back in the early 1970s - State Express London Mixture. Long gone, alas.

• In the 60's (I remember very little of that decade 😬) I used to do a tin of Flying Dutchman about every week. I don't care much for the match blends, but can't find the original. Some say EU (Germany in particular) still offers the blend but can't confirm that. So I'm not sure if FD qualifies for this discussion or not... 
  • I miss Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture, Early Morning Pipe and Nightcap. I am constantly trying blends and will eventually settle on new favorites.