Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Has Anyone Created Their Own Pipe

Comments

• Options

If I'm not mistaken Yello-Bole is a manufacturer of pipes and they just use a honey mixture instead of a pre-carbon treatment on the bowls.  Again I could be mistaken but that was my understanding of it.

• Options
    Nice looking pipes.
  • Options
    @Darmon you are correct kind of, some other pipes picked up the yello-bole as well but it is the coating I am looking for, need to get the actual coating or replicate it in a homemade concoction of some kind.  As for the others and the Pre-Carbon treatment I found a guy that does his own Carbon type treatment, he uses maple syrup and charcoal from charcoal pills.  Yello-Bole uses honey but not sure what they are using for the yellow color, that is what I need to find.  
    They are nice looking and making my own pipes I am trying different Pre-treatments actually looking into two other ways to treat the bowls as well.
  • Options
    Been a busy week funished another pick axe as well.
    tmp_2415-IMG_20170414_155759_922860897403
  • Options
    @Corey562 what are you using for stain/dye on your pipes?  I want the grain to stand out against a lightly colored briar.  Is there a sequence/technique to it?  Thanks
  • Options
    Well almost done with a few but still having problems posting pictures, will get that done soon.   Now on to new pipes, I am open to suggestions and designs, anyone know of something I should try to make?  If not I am going back to one of a kind off the top of my head designs. 
    I have one pipe I need to make for a good friend of mine, he is a deputy sheriff but I don't want to put anything to do with his work on it, thinking something different and more to fit him and his personality, he is short, stocky, good sense of humor, his nickname is Papa Smurf, he has a motor bike, he likes dogs.....maybe a stubby pipe with longer stem....or stubby thick pipe with normal stem but not sure on the design or what wood to use.  He smokes Cigars most of the time but relaxes to pipe when at home or so he says.  lol 
    Anyway put some ideas out there please, either for his pipe or for my other pipes I want to build. 
  • Options
    Restoration of old estate pipes.....What do you do when your restoring pipes you can't get parts for or special coatings for?  I make pipes so I guess I could buy material and make stems but stuff like bowls that take special threading.....how do you thread a bowl for a Falcon or one like it?  How do yo coat a bowl on the inside if you can't find the coating? How do you match a finish?  How do you treat a pipe with Honey? 
    Might be wrong place for this but some pipe builders should know these answers I would think??

• Options
    @mfresa I like to use a 3 stain process first I will sand it with about a 220 grit with the grain then stain it black then sand it with a 500 grit to where the grain is stands out then if its not dark enough for me I just apply another light coat wiping off the excess if it is to my liking I apply a dark brown and sand it off with a 1000 of corse still sanding with the grain then I will hit it with a 2000 grit paper or pad,then I apply either a light brown or saddle tan then start the sanding moving from a 2000 to a 4000 then the 6000. And as for die I perfer Fiebings leather die. The black first is what makes it pop. This is what works for me you may have to tinker with it to get it right I started by using scrap pieces of left over blocks. Fixing to stain this one now. 
  • Options
    @Corey562 I appreciate the information the internet has lots of videos on it and everyone has a slightly different technique.  That's a nice pipe you have there.  Please post a photo when it is done.  Thanks
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Looks good, @Corey562, is it buffed or ready for buffing? Nice grain.
  • Options
    Nice , I usually like a darker pipe but that looks good!
  • Options
    @Corey562, OK I took your advice and hit the latest creation with a coat of (I didn't have black) mahogany stain. Yes it was Fiebings.  I let it dry for 30 minutes or so, seems the briar soaked it up right away.  Sanded it back with 400 grit, then hit it with 600 and then 2000.  I don't think I have the patience for 4000 or 6000 grit sandpaper, my arms and hands are about worn out.
    I am going to pick up an electric bench polisher to put the carnauba on with.  The dremel just doesn't cut it for me.  Any recommendations on which one a poor hobby pipe-maker like me could afford?
    Anyway, I really appreciate you listening and giving me some tips on finishing these things.  I really enjoy doing this.
  • Options
    @Corey562, here is a snapshot of the briar without the stem

bowl1
  • Options
    @mfresa it looks good brother . If you will go up to the 6000 paper or higher you can have it looking like it is dipped in glass. If you put a couple coats of wax with a flannel wheel it will shine as well I usually pick up the tools I need at harbor freight they have a grinder with a speed control I ditch the grinding stones and guards and throwed a copule of buffing wheels on it, works wonders most standard electric buffers have about a 3000rpm and for me I get a better shine with a slower speed. I think in the whole set up I got about 45 dollars. So if you have harbor freight store near by check em out.
  • Options
    Still needs to be final sanded and buffed.tmp_27689-Message_14928260200781125503254
  • Options
    New stock showed up today oh happy day.tmp_27689-20170427_1434571074969206
  • Options
    @Corey562 thanks I appreciate the feedback.  Will order the grinder from Harbor Freight, as I agree, the buffer at a slow/medium speed is the way to go.  I used the Halcyon II wax on it to condition it a bit, but it doesn't buff as nice as carnauba.
    You are going to be one busy man with all that briar!!  Oh, here is the final pipe with stem - it is a monster:

IMG_0909
  • Options
      @mfresa that is a beauty.
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @Corey562, thanks, so is the one above.  Can you post a few others of it at different angles? 
    I bought the adjustable speed grinder and put the polishing wheel on it.  Works well. The pipe above has a much better gloss on it now.
    You mentioned 6000 grit for smoothing the pipe.  This is a bar, not sandpaper, right?  I couldn't find it in sandpaper. 
    Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    @mfresa 6000 grit sand paper does come in pads and paper just have to go to a hobby shop. Hobby lobby carries it all the way up to 12000 grit and that is what i used on stems. Here are the a few different veiws of this one.
    tmp_9785-20170501_1646511125503254
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @Corey562, thanks for the lead I will hit Hobby Lobby this weekend.  That pipe is a 'ting o' beauty!!