Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Lying Brick & Mortar's - A Rant

Don’t you love it when a business which is supposed to be a “Pipe and Cigar” shop just flat out lies to new customers? For example, there is this little jewel of a shop in Covington, which has told pipe smokers that they blend all the bulk tobacco they have on display. 

Well, I was just chatting with a new pipe smoker who said this same shop is the one he goes to. He said he only buys bulk tobacco because he was told:

“stay away from Tin Tobacco’s because they are usually very strong and didn’t have a good room note, so keep away until I was more seasoned, and could dedicate at least 1 pipe to a tin of tobacco.”

Can you believe that load of bull manure?

Comments

• Options
    The things I have heard in "Tobacconist  Shops"! It can make me scream. I find that if opinions are delivered with confidence and technical nomenclature, people will believe it. I was told by a clerk at a shop near me that the use of 9mm filters will cause your pipe to heat up causing permanent damage to the stem. I actually spent 30 seconds asking myself if that was true. It is a shame that B&M's don't do a better job of training their employees. 
  • Options
    that frustrates me, makes me wish i was there!
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited October 2019
    I agree. I used to frequent a newer shop that opened here in town.  Started out as a gentleman smoke shop which is what I Iiked about it. The knowledge of pipes and pipe Tobaccos was nill. I became the guy to assist in helping build up their supply and provide some direction to attract more pipe smokers. Unfortunately I don't go any more as they didn't stick to the focus of guys like us and turned it into a vape shop. Ugly neon signs, flashy lights, bright loud packages of crap on the shelves. It's a horrible atmosphere. 

Instead of learning how to cater to a specific market and becoming experts in their craft and building relationships with customers, they opt to go for trendy quick cash transaction place. It will be short lived like any trend especially with bad press on vaping.