Home Pipes & Tools
Options

First Missouri meerschaum

I ordered my first Missouri meerschaum along with some seersucker from the squire. Excited to try the new to me blend in a new pipe. 

I went with the country gentleman bent. 

I remember there being a pretty recent Missouri meerschaum thread, but I’m wondering who else is going to jump on the bandwagon and get a Missouri meerschaum?

Comments

• Options
    @TaylorJDutton I have a country gentleman straight smoke it every Teusday. Great pipes!
  • Options
    I love MM cobs.  I have three and plan to get more for sure. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I have at least seven MM cobs, all different, and two cobs I made myself.  The two I made still suck air through the sides of the cobs.  One much less than the other and is smokeable...the other....not so much🙁....I may have drilled the chambers a bit too large even though they are only 1/2” diameter.  Apparently, the cobs were a bit small.  The MM’s all smoke well.
    I have one “vintage” cob that has a huge chamber, it is in good shape too.  It is probably about twice the volume of my MM Country Gentleman.  I will have to look to see what company made it.  I was going to try and EBay it until I found out how rare this size of cob is today.  I read an article about MM recently, and it sounds like they may have found their original corn hybrid seed for large cob corn?  
  • Options
    I have 1 cob, it is great to try a new blend.
  • Options
    A TPL brother sent me my first cob since the 1970's.

I like it.
  • Options
    It still confuses me how a cob can truly offer a “fresh” smoke with no ghosting, my friend has a cob and i definitely see some form of cake or residue on the walls of the chamber, is this idea a gimmick? 

He smokes primarily English blends and even after the first smoke his cob smelled like gl pease quiet nights
  • Options
    Ahh...they will/do ghost.
    Fresh new inexpensive cobs (highlight fresh and new) are used to sample new (unknown) tobaccos....so you don't end up with ghost in a briar that needs excised.
    Also, for me anyway, my taste buds pick up the sweetness of the corn in a new cob pipe, which for me was much appreciated when I have tried to smoke nasty (in my opinion) latakia a few times.
    What I should do is ghost a cob with some BCA and try a latakia blend again.  I'm pretty sure it would still be nasty (in my opinion), but not quite as nasty (in my opinion) :) 
    I could try what @motie2 and others have done and add a pinch of a latakia blend to a good (in my opinion) bowl of tobacco, but then again, I don't want to ruin good (in my opinion) tobacco :)
  • Options
    i love latakia blends, its interesting how everyone's tastebuds vary.  good to know that im not the only one that thinks they ghost, thank! @RockyMountainBriar
  • Options
    @TaylorJDutton

Oh, they ghost alright. The question is the same sort of question asked of Dorothy in Wizard of Oz: "Are you a good ghost, or a bad ghost?"
    If you enjoy Latakia blends, it's not a ghost at all.
    If you are a VaPer or aromatic fan, it's a malevolent eldritch creature from hell.

One of my first used EA Carey purchases from eBay, a lovely large billiard, came with such a creature.
    It took salt, coffee grounds, rubbing alcohol, rum, time, and Merlin's Spell of Making to exorcise that sucker.
  • Options
    Haha they seem to be polarizing styles, i love Latakia and I’m not a huge fan of vapers, 

• Options
    Having missed entirely the first two Missouri Meerschaum 150th Anniversary pipes (utterly sold out), I've been watching their website daily for the third release this anniversary year. If I manage to spot it before it sells out, hope I can afford the thing.
  • Options
    RockyMountainBriar  You are correct that MM has there own hybird cob.  I was just there for there 150th last weekend and talking to Phil about there cobs.  It is a hybird of four different seeds that takes about five years to create a new batch of hybird seeds to keep the super cobs seeds fresh. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    @TaylorJDutton
    Is that bulk Seersucker? the same as C&D's tinned Seersucker?
  • Options
    There is no better inexpensive introduction to pipe smoking than a Missouri Meerschaum. I own about a dozen in various sizes and shapes and three cobbits. Some blends just don't feel right unless you smoke them in a cob. The cobbits are a fun and inexpensive way to try a church warden. 

Of course it never hurts to channel your inner Huck Finn.  ;)
  • Options
    Ah, welcome to the madness that are cobs. You think one is just enough, but before you know it, more will end up on your pipe shelf. I find cobs to be wonderful pipes, easy and fun to collect and modify to your liking.

I've only encountered one blend that's ever ghosted one of my cobs: C&D's Captain Bob's Blend. It figures that only a grape aromatic would be the one to ghost one of my cobs. 
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    The Country Squire had a house blend named Seersucker before C&D came out with their tinned version.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe
    Thanks for the info PappyJoe👌🏻
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar

@PappyJoe beat me to it, this is the country squires seersucker, and it’s delicious!