Home General
Options

Navy Birthday 244 years.

Happy 244th Birthday to all you Currently serving and ex Navy personal out their in piper land.

Comments

• Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited October 2019
    You've miscounted. 
    While the Navy
     its origins to the Continental Navy, the Continental Navy was disbanded immediately after the Revolutionary War ended. The United States was without a naval force until 1790 when "a system of cutters" was authorized by Congress to combat smuggling and protect the coast. (That system of cutters was called the Revenue Marine and then the Revenue Cutter Service before have its name change to U.S. Coast Guard, but I digress.)

The current U.S. Navy 
    was created when the U.S. Congress passed the Naval Act of 1794 for the construction of six heavy frigates, the first ships of the U.S. Navy. That makes the U.S. Navy 225 years old.That is a historical fact, by the way. Therefore the U.S. Navy is only 225 years old because for almost two decades, there was no Navy. The Navy can claim otherwise but that doesn't change the facts.

So, Happy 225th Birthday to all of you former or currently serving members of the JUNIOR seagoing service.

Edit: It should be noted that the U.S. Marines traces its founding back to 10 November 1775. Since the two battalions were never disbanded following the war, it is accurate to say the Marines are older than the U.S. Coast Guard. 
  • Options
    I remember a book I read sometime during high school, it mentioned (and stuck in my mind) that during one of the years during which George Washington was President, the U.S. Army consisted of four (count 'em, 4 !) people. I've not seen any other source even mentioning military numbers during the early decades of U.S. history.
  • Options
    Just to clear up my statement on Navy 244th Birthday, these weren’t my calculations, my information came from Military.com,Newsweek, Department of Defense , last but not least The USO, I get updates from all these organizations. Regardless, my Birthday wish for the men and women of the USN was my main point.
  • Options
  • Options
    @buflosab
    People can say what they want but it doesn't change the fact that there was no U.S. Navy from the end of the Revolutionary War until 1794. 

I really don't mind them claiming to be older, it just proves how jealous they are of the Coast Guard. :smiley:
  • Options
    You know I find myself a bit bemused that at +60 people will still continue to make military rivalry comments.
    Now I don't personally care either way, but some of the people initiating these comments are especially sensitive when someone else replies in kind.
    Which is why I have refrained from posting any coast guard memes.
  • Options
    @mapletop
    When you served with your brothers (and sisters)-in-arms, you earn the right to continue making rivalry comments and jokes.

I doubt if you could post any Coast Guard (it's is capitalized when speaking of the U.S. Coast Guard  :))that I haven't already seen or jokes I haven't heard. 

As I told a blue water Navy sailor who asked how I could be in the Coast Guard if I wasn't six-feet tall I said it was simple, "Icebreaker Coasties learn how to walk on water."
  • Options
    Funny thing..... I've observed the same behavior amongst various clergy over several decades. 
    Of course, this all went on well away from laity.
    You wouldn't believe the jokes........
  • Options
    Coastie's Lament

We are the unwilling,
    Led by the unqualified,
    To do the unnecessary
    For the ungrateful.
    We've been doing so much
    For so long, with so little,
    We're now qualified
    To do the impossible
    With nothing at all.

No idea how old this is, or who wrote it. Surprisingly, those units where I've heard this quoted, it has had very little variation to the text. (I sometimes wonder if this is also meant to be sort of a passive-aggressive brag.)
  • Options
    @AnantaAndroscoggin
    That was around in 1972 so it was probably old even then.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe,maybe a bit of a surprise, but I agree with you on your comment about military rivals. You know as well as me that service rivalry has been going on forever and will continue as long As their are different branches of the military. In other words it not just a bunch of 60-plus guys reliving glorious or not so glorious days.
  • Options
    There was a bit of a dust-up a couple of years ago between a retired? Army vet and a fan of the Marines (not clear if he was a vet).   I am not sure of their actual status (retired/discharged etc.?), the Marine fan may have just had an opinion that the Marines were better, not sure if he was an actual vet.  Anyway the other was an Army vet 63 years old and the other was much younger 40 I think.  Well anyway the rivalry got out of hand after a few too many adult beverages were consumed by both parties.  It ended up with the GI stabbing the Marine fan to death in the street....well actually he cut his face and slit his throat.  The Vietnam vet told the police. “I just did what I was trained to do, he’s dead....the knife is on the table”.  This happened August 2014 in Laurel, Montana.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar, man that’s taking service rivalry one step beyond. I’m sure drinking had a lot to due with that unfortunate situation.
  • Options
    I’m at Norfolk/Little Creek Naval base right now smoking a bowl of Carolina Red Flake in honor of all you Navy brethren!! 

Happy belated birthday, Navy!
  • Options
    As some of you know, I am a Jarhead.  That being said, I never cease to amaze people when I tell them that my best friend while I served was a Navy man. 
    Yep, you guessed it. He was our Corpsman... one of the greatest guys I ever knew...
  • Options
    That’s a good friend to have.
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    That sounds exactly like my brother Dave.  He is a jarhead and one of his best friends is a Navy man.  Yep, you guessed it, he was the corpsman when they were in Iraq.  I am not sure if he was with my brother in Afghanistan, but I do know he served at least one tour there as well.
  • Options
    mapletopmapletop Master
    edited October 2019
    Having served on an amphibious assault ship during my time in the navy my favorite reply to Marines trash talkin the Navy was always " what does it say on your pay check"?
    " it doesn't say Marines it says Navy!!!!!"
  • Options
    I spent 4 years in the USMC. Never bought into the whole rivalry thing. Always had respect for them and the job they did. Without the Navy, Marines wouldn't exsist.
  • Options
    @BobbyG, I appreciate your comment.  Having served as a sailor in the tin can navy, I appreciated everything the marines did in the air, land, sea and shore. I never understood the rivalry thing. As far as the DHS (coasties) go, I value all the joint missions and support they did with us on our many DI missions off the coast of Florida. 
  • Options
    Well I would say their can be no doubt concerning military rivalries, good to hear that not all service personnel played into it, bottom line is we all were on the same overall mission. For some of us as we get older we begin to appreciate all who have served regardless of what branch.