Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Nerdy for Neerups

Greetings fellow pipers! I am
a Neerup fangirl; anyone else here an admirer/collector of Neerup pipes? I especially love their bent pots with a pop of silver and colorful stems. I have recently checked out some Stokkebye 4th Gen pipes, similar Danish styles which I am considering getting some of. And also... Ardor pipes. Wow! Not so much into the ones with the tennis ball size bowls, but overall those are some gorgeous pipes!

Comments

• Options
    DanfriedmanDanfriedman Master
    edited September 2019
    @erivertree , Although I do not currently own any Nerrup pipes, I can see the beauty of many of their models. I would encourage you to collect and smoke any and all pipes that appeal to you. May I ask what pipe tobaccos you smoke in your pipes? Do you notice any taste difference with the same tobacco in different Neerup pipes?
  • Options
    @erivertree, you're a person after my own heart.  Both Neerup and Country Squire and good brands to go with.
  • Options
    Nice to know there are some lady pipers out there
  • Options
    I'm going to have to consider a Neerup the next time I decide to buy a new pipe. I can't recall seeing any in the junktique shops I visit for estate pipes.

@erivertree - Ardor makes some really beautiful pipes and they are all well constructed. At the annual Pipe Night in New Orleans, I always drool over them even if they are usually out of the price range I'm willing to spend. I have one and it's great.  You may also want to take a look at Rinaldo pipes. I have two of Triade's and I really enjoy smoking them.
  • Options
    I have a couple of Neerup / Peder Jeppesen pipes. the distinction between the two is that Peder Jeppesen pipes are hand made and his Neerup line are made with the help of production machinery.
    Both are great smokers and great looking.

If I were to complain about his pipes (and I'm not) I would like to see slightly longer stems as most of his pipes tend to be nose ticklers.
    The other thing is he tends to make the chambers too large for the piece of briar, I prefer a bit more wall thickness, his tend to be on the thinner side..
  • Options
    @erivertree -- Great to hear from you. And, like others have said, it's wonderful having lady pipe smokers participate on this forum.

Stokkebye 4th Gen pipes are actually made by Neerup. You can read about it here. I REALLY want a Neerup pipe, but just havent pulled the trigger yet. I did, however, get to drool over them at The Country Squire a few weeks ago. After listening to CSR for years 
    I finally made my pipe pilgrimedge. Jon David wasn't there, but his intern, Carson, took great care of us! If you ever get a change to go you'll be impressed!

PS: Bag End is also one of my favorites.
  • Options
    @erivertree
    Have you seen the new 2019 Harvest Moon Neerups on SP.com?  There are a few that even caught my eye. Some joker already snapped up the one I liked the best🤨🙂.
  • Options
    I do have a couple of Neerups, they are good smokers and what like most is exactly their chamber size.
  • Options
    @JLehman5290
    The draft hole may be metric.  The most common sizes these days are probably 3.5mm and 4mm.  When I first started this journey a few years ago, I read somewhere on the internet (everything on the net is true..right?) that a wide open draft hole was the way to go.  After smoking a few pipes and actually finding out what I prefer, 4mm is a plenty large draft hole.  I had some estate pipes that either through abuse or purpose had huge open draft holes, I hated the way they smoked, so I made briar inserts with 3.5mm-4mm or 9/64”-5/32”draft holes and installed them permanently in the shank.  For me, 5/32”-4mm is as open as I want to go.  You can check the draft hole in the Neerup with the shank end of the drill bit by hand, no need to force it, 5/32” is slightly smaller than 4mm.  If I recall correctly, my Stokkebye 4th Generation Fathers, Friends & Fire (made by Neerup) has a 4mm draft hole.
  • Options
    Makes sense! Thanks for the info. It feels more wide open than any of my other briars. It’s good practice for me to keep it burning cool.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    I agree, and yet we have the mystery concerning the oversized draft hole of our beloved Missouri Meerschaums... I know there has to be a logical/scientific explanation as to why they work so well, but I haven't heard the answer.
    Perhaps someone here can enlighten me... 🤔
  • Options
    BalisongBalisong Master
    edited August 2021
    The first time I encountered info on a larger draft hole was in Rick Newcombe's "In Search of Pipe Dreams." I  was curious enough to try it out on a few pipes and found his recommendation to work very well. The Missouri Meerschaum's larger draft hole continues through to the stem diameter making them the most effort free draw of any pipe I've encountered. That dynamic along with packing a fairly lose bowl, ala John Patton, contributes to a cool, tasty smoke. The other technique I use is to lightly prod then dump the ash and even out the remaining tobacco before relighting. I find that whenever I get a hankering to enjoy one of my favorite briars I end up putting it down midway and reaching for a cob.