Home General

Comments

• A moment of silence.
  • Good words everyone. We remember those who gave their all so we can enjoy our freedom today. May we live our lives to honor their sacrifice.
  • jfreedyjfreedy Master
    Just got home from a Memorial Day ceremony at the 45th Infantry Division Museum in OKC. Our band played the patriot marches and honors that it does each year. Here’s a video from last year. 

https://kfor.com/2018/05/28/45th-infantry-division-museum-in-oklahoma-city-holds-memorial-day-ceremony/

Happy Memorial Day, Pipe Community!
  • For the past couple of years, I've made sure not to wear anything that identifies me as a veteran on Memorial Day. It's not that I have anything against Memorial Day and what it is supposed to mean. It's because I don't want people who have no clue coming up and thanking me for my service on Memorial Day. 

Too many U.S. citizens look at Memorial Day as a day of celebration, a day for lighting up the grill and drinking a lot of cold alcoholic beverages. They go out of their way to tell veterans and active duty personnel, "Happy Memorial Day and Thank You For Your Service." Ask people what Memorial Day is about and you get more saying that's when the Indianapolis 500 is held than it is to honor the MILITARY personnel we have lost in the line of duty. 

That is not what Memorial Day is about. 

And that is my rant for the day. 

• Every year my family meets up with other scouts & scouters at our local cemetery to place flags on headstones. It opens up some really great conversations with the scouts as we place flags on graves from the civil war up through Afghanistan. It teaches the kids to be reverent, and that memorial day is more than a day off from school or time to BBQ with family. It's been a tradition my family looks forward to every year. I hope everyone had a great one! 

• @PappyJoe, Your post is right on. I do not think it is a rant, it is the truth.