Home Pipes & Tools

Reasonably priced pipes on Ebay

Any particular favorite brands on Ebay for those who are looking for pipes on a budget?  I have had some good luck with ROAD TOWN pipes on Ebay, and I have saved that search on my favorite search list.  Any thoughts?

Comments

• @wbradk -- Again, I am one of those idiots who only smoke one brand of pipe. (Until VERY recently, I only smoked one mixture, Barbados Plantation.) I have thirteen pipes; twelve of them are EA Carey pipes. Two of those are from my first pipe life, in the 1980's. The other ten I've purchased on eBay. I've never paid more than $25.00 including shipping for a Carey from eBay.

BTW, my lone non-Carey is a Duncan Hill Aerosphere, marketed originally by EA Carey.
  • I have two Road Town pipes, a straight bulldog, and a bent dublin, and I like them both. I have a Road Town bent chimney on its way to me right now, and it might be my last Road Town for a while -- Did you notice the "Buy It Now" prices from the same seller on pipes identical to the ones up for auction? Buy-it-nows from between (about) $120 to $180.
  • @motie2
    I thought you had a nice Charatan as well?
  • @wbradk
    You looking at new pipes only, or “estate” pipes as well?
  • @wbradk — I started my eBay collection with some old Kaywoodies. They smoke great. A good resource for buying eBay pipes and pipes on a budget is the ebook, Old Briar by Dave Whitney. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-BRIAR-A-Book-About-Refurbishing-Pipes-Minimizing-Cost-of-Pipe-Smoking/392134981792?hash=item5b4d10f8a0:g:u6QAAMXQROxRF99x
  • @RockyMountainBriar -- The Charatan: That's my best pipe, a gift from our lamented missing friend @xDutchx. I don't smoke it. I keep it in a display case; not with my pipe collection. I sorta forgot it.....
  • Check out this video by Bradley at StuffandThings on YouTube.

Buying a Tobacco Pipe on eBay? BE CAREFUL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JNnjSS4x64

• wbradkwbradk Apprentice
    Yes, the "buy it now" offerings are a nice joke; yet another example of "Ebay dreamers."  One cannot blame them for trying.  
  • wbradkwbradk Apprentice
    I've bought and sold maybe 100 pipes or so on Ebay over the years.  Haven't had any problems yet, but then I do not buy the expensive types; the best on that I sold was probably a 1904 Peterson bulldog, and none have been more than $200.00, and most much less. But, of course, maybe I've just been lucky and tomorrow I will have a problem.  I like to buy old briar that is in bad shape, then send them to Briarville Pipe Repair in Palm Harbor, FL, for Ric to refurbish.  The end result is often a pipe that I could not afford otherwise.
  • KenofAhwlbyKenofAhwlby Enthusiast
    I’m conflicted about the video that motie presented.... The guy makes one good points, however they are mostly common sense, which someone should figure out after there first two times on eBay,,,,I have been on eBay as a seller and a buyer since they started.  The problem I have with the video,,, and yes, I know that guy has made many videos and he is the favorite star of too many... However,, his scruffy beard is a turnoff,,, I have a beard, however his is weak....And then the knitted skull cap,,,,,aren’t those for sixteen year olds....The worst thing is the background...clothes hangin haphazardly on some kind of rack....just not professional..... I know there are loads fo amateur videos on YouTube and many are very nicely done,,,,However his are so crude,,, I just can’t take him as credible.....sorry if he is a hero of yours and I have offended,
  • motie2motie2 Master
    edited April 2019
    KenofAhwlby -- No harm; no foul. I just thought his basic points would be good for folks who had not considered buying a used/estate/vintage pipe on eBay. Also, (spoken gently) don't judge a person by his appearance, eh?

Alternative views have been posted here previously:

Buying Pipes on eBay

There are two main categories of pipes offered for sale on eBay: new and estate. 

New pipes are just that: un-smoked and never sold before. On the other hand, estate pipes are pre-owned and offer a great opportunity to get a very good pipe for half or less of the normal price at retail. These estate pipes can be smoked or un-smoked. Pre-smoked pipes offer the greatest chance at an excellent bargain and, when properly cleaned and sterilized with any potable alcohol, can be truly marvelous acquisitions.  

Often you can find exquisite handcrafted pipes made by some of the finest pipe makers in the world at a small fraction of the price on eBay. The standard rule of thumb is that if you have no issues with using restaurant silver and glassware, you should have no problem smoking an estate pipe once it has been properly cleaned and sterilized with alcohol.

The internet is a great boon to the pipe smoking enthusiast hoping to purchase an excellent pipe or locate some rare tobacco. At any given time, there are literally tens of thousands of items under “ pipes” on eBay. However, a huge percentage of them are, if not junk, then at least not to be recommended. Purchasing pipes or anything on eBay can be fun, and the possibilities of finding a bargain on a jewel are frequent, but such purchases are best made with strategy and wisdom.

Here some tips to purchasing pipes on eBay:

1. There are no great pipes for a dollar or two. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. 

2. Most of the Made-in-China pipes that say “quality” are pure junk. 

3. A pipe advertised as "genuine wood" is not a "briar"  (see tip #5)

4. Stick with reputable pipe makers if you’re not pipe-savvy. Brands like SavinelliPetersonDunhillStanwell and Davidoff will always offer you a great smoking experience if it’s authentic and the pipe is in good condition. Even less expensive brands like Dr. Grabow offer a good introduction to pipe smoking. 

5. Look for pipes made from Briar and Meerschaum only. 

6. Before buying or bidding, you might be able to research the pipe on various pipe forums and Facebook groups to see reviews and information. 

7. There is such thing as counterfeit pipes so be sure you examine the photographs, read the description and determine whether the seller is reputable. 

8. Examine the photos and descriptions carefully; look for cracks, charring, teeth marks, discolored stems, etc.

9, When in doubt, ask one of the TPL forum members. 

10. Use the eBay search function to narrow down your search.

How to Buy an Estate Pipe for Less

Pipe smoking or collecting elicits images of dark libraries, curling smoke and aged whiskey. Regardless of if you are a collector or are toying with the idea of pipe smoking, there are a few ways to get a great piece for less to capture the nostalgia of this masculine accessory.

There are two main categories of pipes offered for sale: new and estate.

New pipes are just that: un-smoked and never sold before. On the other hand, estate pipes are pre-owned and offer a great opportunity to get a very good pipe for half or less of the normal price at retail. Estate pipes can be smoked or un-smoked. Pre-smoked pipes offer the greatest chance at an excellent bargain and, when properly cleaned and sterilized with any potable alcohol, can be truly marvelous acquisitions.

Estate pipes represent such an opportunity. If you have no issues with using restaurant silver and glassware, you should have no problem smoking an estate pipe once it has been properly cleaned and sterilized with alcohol.

eBay is a great boon to the pipe smoking enthusiast hoping to purchase an excellent estate pipe. There are literally tens of thousands of items under “pipes” on eBay. However, a large percentage of them are, if not junk, then at least not to be recommended. Purchasing pipes or anything on eBay can be fun and the possibilities of finding a bargain on a jewel are frequent, but such purchases are best postponed until one has gained the experience to be a savvy buyer. 

edited April 2019
    @motie2,  no harm taken....though I do judge a person by their appearance,,, especially if they are trying to present themselves as an authority..For example,, there are so many guys making youtube videos on guns and their dress leaves a lot to be desired...If a person hasn’t enough respect for their audience to dress clean and neat,,,, I don’t have see much value in their opinion.....
    I gather the guy posting that and the other pipe videos is someone’s son or favorite brother,,,,but still I think pay some attention to the background.

Also you said everything  that needed to be known in a much better fashion, lot less words,,,, though you did repeat yourself......and you are much better looking....
    How the heck do I edit a post??
  • motie2motie2 Master
    edited April 2019
    KenofAhwlby -- You wrote: <<you did repeat yourself>> 

You also wrote: <<you are much better looking....>>

• Like @wbradk I have bought and sold many pipes on eBay and have not been burned yet. Like @motie2 suggests... just use common sense, exam the photos carefully and do your research. I’ve scored a few great deals too. I bought a handmade Upshaw Tilshead for $15 and a 1960s GBD pot for $20 (including shipping). In fact, my latest purchase was a barely smoked (only 5 times according to the seller) Castello Sea Rock KKK for $150. This pipe goes for around $300-$400 new. This is by far my nicest pipe and it still looks brand new. 
  • I have bought several pipes on eBay and have pretty good luck.  If you find a vendor you like follow them so you can see when they have new posts.  Some of my best buys have been unnamed pipes for less than $20 - many of them unsmoked.  I picked this one up about a year ago, new, unmarked, $10

• @bbrown626
    I'm getting three more pipes ready to go on eBay but the starting price is $20 each. They are from smaller Danish and Italian carvers.

• shoot me a link and I will check them out

• @bbrown626
    The three I'm working on now will probably having a starting price of $25 each. I have some I haven't started on that will be slightly cheaper on the starting price.

I'll post some photos on here in the next day or two and before I put them on eBay. 
    Two are Bjarne pipes. They were carved by Bjarne Nielsen (1941 - † 2008) distributed his own "Bjarne" brand and pipes carved by Danish pipemakers (Mogens JohansenTonni Nielsen or Ph. Vigen). Both are stamped "Handmade in Denmark)

The other is a Karl Erik. 
    Brand created in 1965-66 by Karl Erik Ottendahl (1942 - 2004 †). In the best years he employed up to 15 craftsmen among which Bent Nielsen (see Benner) and Peder Christian Jeppesen.

• I know it's just a mental thing with me ... but with constant warnings about this stupid Covid virus bombarding our brains on the nightly News the thought of buying an Estate pipe at this particular time isn't as appealing to me as it once was. If I can't shake anyone's hands, touch my own face, and need to wear a mask in public ... the idea of sticking someone else's pipe in my mouth at this particular time seems counter intuitive. This friggin' virus is taking all the fun out of life.
  • @ghostsofpompeii
    I understand your concern about buying estate pipes on eBay because you never know how the pipes were cleaned or even if they really were. In private discussions, I have recommended that anyone buying an estate pipe take steps to sanitize it before smoking.

Take the stem off the pipe and wipe it down with 91% denatured alcohol and running a pipe cleaner through the airway is a good start. Once that's done, just rinse it under warm running water and it's ready to smoke. If it's a vulcanite stem, you may have to spend some time polishing the stem afterwards. The alcohol is usually stocked at all drug stores. You can also use high proof drinking alcohol but you have to remember that the proof is double what the actual alcohol content is. For example, 150 Proof rum is 75% alcohol by volume. 190 Proof Grain Alcohol is 95% alcohol by volume (and is drinkable which makes it a better choice for pipe cleaning since it doesn't need to be rinsed.)

I would also use the pipe cleaner dipped in alcohol and give the airway in the shank a good cleaning also. Just keep repeating with clean pipe cleaner until they are no longer coming out black. I would just clean the bowl the way you normally would to remove cake and ghosting. The bowl chamber obviously gets very hot during smoking and will kill anything hazardous. 

Your concern is something to take serious but the problem is not one that can't be alleviated by taking the effort to sterilze the estate pipe.
  • bbrown626bbrown626 Master
    edited July 2020

Even before COVID,, when I buy an estate pipe I thoroughly clean it and soak the stem in Everclear (at 190 proof that puts it at 90% alcohol - well above CDC guidelines). It is my daily pipe cleaner also. The Everclear doesn't leave a funky aftertaste like rubbing alcohol or commercial pipe cleaners.  Just don't drink it!  I also understand it is illegal in some states

• @bbrown626
    You can actually drink 190% Grain alcohol like Everclear. (I speak from the experience of my youth). You may regret it the next day, but you can drink it.
  • motie2motie2 Master
    Pappy is correct in this, I learned the hard way some years ago.
  • I experienced that in my misspent youth also - thus the warning.  It is a hangover you will remember the rest of your life
  • **phhfft** A little snort of straight Everclear now and then won't hurt you.  Warms you right up, at least you think it does:)  It protects me from "The Rona" on the inside too ;)

I know I have mentioned this before, but be very careful with high proof alcohol around Real Amber, Acrylic, Bakelite stems, and their ilk.  It can and will haze them or even soften or melt them.  Been there done that.  I had an old Yello-Bole estate that had a yellow (amber) looking stem.  I knew it was not real amber, but Bakelite or Amberoid?, it was disgusting.  I popped it in the everclear for a quick soak while I cleaned the rest of the pipe.  By the time I had got back to it, an hour or so, it had softened and the stem logo fell out and the stem was ruined.  Luckily it was a POS stem on an inexpensive pipe anyway, so it was not a big loss.  II think it had the bit chewed off.  I just made another amber acrylic stem for it.  It looks good and functions perfectly fine, it's just not original.  I try to keep pipes as original as possible when I refurbish/restore them.
  • @bbrown626
    Correct.
    My first Everclear experience was in August 1972 when the icebreaker I was on had liberty in Nome, Alaska. I was with some of the other guys from the engineering department and we were drinking in one of the bars. You know what a boilermaker is? A shot of bourbon in a glass of beer. We were introduced to a train wreck, which was a shot of Everclear in a glass of beer. 

By the way, to get ashore, we had to climb down a ladder and board a landing craft. To get back aboard we had to climb up either the ladder or a cargo net. Don't remember how I got back aboard.
  • motie2motie2 Master
    Yes, Pappy, dilution is the only way to reasonably deal withEverclear, or PGA, which is what i used to drink, mixed with limeaide, back in the day.
  • I've bough several Estate pipes in the past and have cleaned and sanitized them as prescribed ... it just seems a little different now. Which is why I said it's a bit of a mindf*ck with me now. And I know I'll get over it. And in reality it's not even an issue for me since I haven't left the house in well over 120 days since the quarantine began. The only way I'd find an Estate pipe at the moment if it was in my front yard or on my driveway. I've been no farther than my mailbox since this thing began.
    Cleaning the stem with alcohol is just another reason I hate a vulcanized stem - the way they stain as soon as the alcohol hits it. I need an electric buffer because buffing by hand just doesn't cut it anymore. I'm getting old and my hand don't want to co-operate with me. 
  • motie2motie2 Master
    EA Careypipes have either crappy or decent acrylic stems. Only two of mine are of the crappy (thin/flimsy) variety.

I’ve bought most of my pipes on eBay and have thouroughly cleaned them before smoking, even ones that supposedly were cleaned for sale.