Home Ask an Expert
Options

Pipe Identification Help

Hello! I am trying to identify a pipe that I have. I believe that is a Savinelli insignia on the stem, but there isn't any more information on the pipe besides what is shown. 

Comments

• Options
    @Wrmills
    Yep, looks like Savinelli to me as well.  My “Hand Made” has the snake, it also seems to me that the Savinelli “Sigla”? Line comes to mind.
  • Options
    WrmillsWrmills Apprentice
    @RockyMountainBriar ;
    Those look similar, except they are autograph pipes and the autograph on them. I have never seen a Sav that doesn't say so on the bottom of the bowl.
  • Options
    @Wrmills
    There is also a “Rock Grain”.
  • Options
    @Wrmills
    Out of curiosity, does the tenon have a small “Savinelli” stamped (raised) around the tenon.  Many of my original Savinelli’s have the face of the stem labeled that way, encircling the tenon.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    @Wrmills
         My Savinelli “Hand Made” does not have Savinelli stamped anywhere on the stummel, only encircling the tenon on the stem...it says Savinelli Patent....probably because of the 6mm balsa drilling.  I believe the “Hand Made” series are “Autographs” that didn’t make the cut.  Pipes that were started as an “Autograph”, but ended up with flaws.  Too much Hand work to just toss them in the “burn pit”.  Nice straight/flame grain on mine, but there are five fills, hence the darker stain and therefore relegated to be an “Autograph Second”.
         Your’s looks to have very nice ring grain in that blast.  It looks like it has a flaw on the left side that goes from the bottom of the bowl all the way to the rim, bisecting the ring grain.  My guess, it is the reason it was blasted, nice ring grain overall, just that “deep” gnarly doomar they knew they could not sand smooth, and too big to fill.  It would have had a vertical line of putty pretty much top to bottom.   Not good for a smooth high grade, but a very nice blasted “almost” high grade.  
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Gotcha! Thanks for the help.It doesn't have Savinelli on the tenon either.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    @Wrmills
    Does it have either 6mm or 9mm drilling, or just a normal tenon/stem?
  • Options
    edited February 2019
  • Options
    Sorry for the huge photos. I am unsure how to post them in a smaller size. ee
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    @Wrmills
    What I kind of expected.  I think the “Savinelli Patent” stamp would be for the filter drilling system.  I am still of the mind that yours is a genuine Savinelli “Hand Made”.
    No worries, I have problems with pic size as well🤔
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Well thanks! I didn't pay too much for it if it isn't, but still seems like it could be a nice smoker. It has a larger bowl than most of my other pipes. 
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    @Wrmills
    Large bowl, another check for the “Hand Made”, most Savinelli “Autographs” are large pipes, so it would make sense that the “seconds” would be larger pipes as well🙂
    I am not generally a fan of blasted pipes, but when the grain “pops” with the right stain, some are nice.  Your’s has a very nice blast/grain.👍🏻
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Thanks! I appreciate your help. I am new to this website. It seems to me like this community is a little bit smaller and close knit. Doesn't feel like I'll be as lost on an endless forum trying to catch up.
  • Options
    @Wrmills  @RockyMountainBriar

I've never seen a Savinelli without the Savinelli name and logo stamped on the briar somewhere. That being said, the logo you posted was by Savinelli on the Rock Grain and the Hand Made line. 

• Options
    @PappyJoe @RockyMountainBriar maybe it was just a very elaborate fake where they bought the stem and made a pipe to fit.
  • Options
    @Wrmills - In all likelihood, it's just a pipe which slipped through the process without further stamping or else there was a flaw that caused the pipe to be tossed into the "basket pipe" category. 

From what I've been told by some more knowledgeable pipe collectors, both of these do happen from time to time with factory pipes. It's about like a pipe with bad drilling making it through the process and winding up on a shelf to be sold. 
  • Options
    is anyone familiar with this brand of pipe? I havent been able to find out anything about them?
  • Options
    @Zouave - Alpha were the main brand produced by the Shalom Pipe Factory in Israel. (@motie2Alpha also produced at least one of its Citation forms for Carey's "Magic Inch" series.) At some point, the Shalom Factory was became part of Mastercraft and Mastercraft continued producing the Alpha pipes for awhile and introduced new lines. 

I would guess from the name Calypso that yours was produced by Mastercraft.

For future reference, there are two websites you should bookmark: www.
    pipedia.com and www.pipephil.eu
    And for tobacco questions you can find information at www.tobaccoreviews.com

• Options
    @PappyJoe That's awesome information. Thanks for  figuring that out for me! I will check out those links.
  • Options
    I Interesting…….

<<Now that I am at my computer and not just on my phone, let me expand a little bit...

How Savinelli makes pipes: They decide to make a run of a certain shape, say the 320KS. (Note, that I say a run of a certain shape and not a run of a certain line such as Oscar or Trevi.) Someone goes out to the briar shed and using a template, they select blocks of an appropriate size for the stummel shape. The blocks are taken into the factory and get made into a 320KS stummel. The stummels then go to grade sorting. A grade inspector looks at the stummels and sorts them based on grain grade. After this sort, then they go to be made into the various lines based on the grade of the stummel. The high grades go to lines such as Giubileo d'Oro and Punto Oro. For the high grade lines, the stummels are hand finished and the stems are hand cut. The mid-grade lines may have hand finished stummels but machine made stems (molded). (If it's a hand cut stem, it is stamped "HAND CUT". If it is a hand finished stummel, it is stamped "HAND MADE".) The low end lines have machine finished stummels and machine made stems (molded). 

Thus, all Savinelli standard shapes are made from the same briar. What you are paying for as you move into the mid-grade and high end lines is better grain, hand finishing, and hand made stems. To me, a hand made stem makes a huge world of difference.

So, what happens after stummel grade sorting when you have a bunch of stummels left over that didn't even qualify for the low end lines? Instead of letting them sit around, Savinelli decided to make use of them and the unfinished line was introduced. Currently, it is called Series III, because it is the third time that they have released unfinished pipes. There have previously been Series I and Series II releases. The unfinished Series is a seconds line. That is why they have no brand or shape number stampings. (At least, as of the last time that I looked at one.) It's the exact same briar as used in a top end Giubileo d'Oro and will smoke just fine. It just didn't make the grade to be used in a finished series and as a result makes for a very affordable pipe to buy for the Savinelli smoking experience.

Hope this helps.>>
  • Options
    ZouaveZouave Master
    edited September 2021
    Ok, here is one I can't seem to make heads or tails of, I have found some briars that are stamped CLP but no info on the manufacturer. on one side is stamped CLP and liberty with an eagle on the other.  Can't seem to find any information on it. The bowl is ceramic or porcelain and the stem is vulcanite.
  • Options
    Ok, so this is obviously not a pipe, but I didn’t want to start a new thread.
    I found this little leather monogrammed case on EBay described as a pipe case.  I think not.
    I did buy it, knowing it probably was not and actual pipe case, but I thought it would work as a pipe case.  It looked well built and it was very inexpensive.
    I looked around trying to figure out what the heck the two stiff little white plastic “sticks” in the lid were?
    I think it is a travel case for men’s jewelry, such as, cufflinks, tie tacks, tie bars, rings, etc.  I think the little “sticks” are collar stays?   All of the ones I found examples of on the interwebs were “pointed”, rather than “slashed” on the one end.  These look like they should serve the same purpose at least as well with “slashed” ends?  Any thoughts or anyone out there that actually knows what this case was for.  I was also thinking it could be for an electric razor, or even an old school safety razor, but the little plastics “sticks” don’t make sense for me as something for use with either type of razor.
  • Options
    On the bottom of the case it says “California Saddle Leather”.  I googled that and several jewelry, ring boxes popped.  This case may have had an insert of some sort?  It looks like items from “California Saddle Leather” are high quality leather goods.  I’m thinking $10 shipped was a pretty good deal.  I could not buy the leather for that price👍🏻
    By the way, most of the dark spots are places where it was still wet from when I wiped it down.
  • Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited January 2023
    I think they are cuticle board/stick things...used to scrape away and/or push up the cuticle skin after softening it. Some people use cuticle sticks to scrape the skin away while others just use a board to push the skin up into the nail fold. In your case, the pointed end would be like a the cuticle stick while the rounded blunt end would be the board part. If they aren't that, they're collar stays.

• Options
    @RockyMountainBriar I think @vtgrad2003 nailed it. those could be collar stays.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    2 1/2 votes for collar stays, 1/2 vote for cuticle board.

The more I look at examples the more I think jewelry case, so with two spots looking to be specifically for the little “sticks”, I think my first impressions of collar stays and jewelry box is looking the most logical.  Especially since @Zouave and @vtgrad2003 think maybe collar stays.  I also think it maybe missing a padded insert to hold rings and cufflinks.

P.S. I have never used collar stays, (I have never worn a suit of any kind), but for some reason I had an idea of what they could be.  I have no idea why I even knew they existed even before googling the case🤔.  I have crazy amounts of trivial information stored in my grape.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    How thick are they? Collar stays are usually quite thin and light so they don't damage the shirt if it's accidentally washed with the stays inside the collars. Cuticle boards are usually much thicker--say, like the thickness of a popsicle stick. 
    I just don't understand why so much effort would be put into creating a separate storage space for a couple of collar stays. I mean, look at the effort that went into cutting, mounting and stitching those loops on the lid of the box? 
    I personally don't think it's a traveling, men's "jewelry box", I think it's more like a men's toiletry box (as opposed to a toiletry bag). there are tons of different designs but all with the same basic shape

Johnston  Murphy Rhodes Leather Mens Toiletry Bag Travel Shave Kit  eBay

• Options
    @RockyMountainBriar;
    I don't have a clue what the hell it is.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    The “sticks” are very thin, nowhere near a popsicle stick, maybe 1/3 the thickness of a popsicle stick.  The box looks kinda small to me to be a toiletries box? 

I went down the interweb rabbit hole and found these.  The modern one was on Amazon, it definitely has collar stays in the lid per the description, also for rings and cufflinks.