Home Ask an Expert

Zippo Lighter Fluid

Greetings,

I see a lot of pipe smokers using Zippo's for lighting their pipes.  I know Zippo makes an insert for pipes but I am curious about how the lighter fluid changes the tobacco taste.  I know when I see people with Zippo's you can smell the fluid when it gets lit, does that transfer into the tobacco?  If so, what are some alternatives?  Thank you!

Comments

• The two main issues with native Zippo lighters is the smell of the lighter fluid (it stinks but doesn’t directly change your tobacco flavor), and the leaking of lighter fluid. Both issues are annoying. My favorite butane insert is the Thunderbird Pipe Insert. It looks and feels like a native Zippo, but it’s butane. I also have a z-plus pipe insert but don’t like that you have to hold down the button to keep it lit. Hope that helps. 

https://youtu.be/iN15TafAgBA
  • DerekJDerekJ Enthusiast
    @IndyPiper
    I always use a Zippo pipe lighter, unless I have good matches handy; not the paper ones, but good wooden matches.  I do notice a lighter "fluidy" taste and smell right at first, but only at first.  I had a thunderbird insert, but something happened to the nozzle, causing it to turn into a flame thrower rather than a soft flame. Also, not all zippo cases are created equal; some of the casings I have fit the thunderbird insert better than others, some are just minutely smaller than others depending on the variety within the Zippo brand you get.  If you do go with the insert, I recommend a Zippo that was designed for a pipe insert, rather than one with the normal one. With the flame thrower incident, I went back to the Zippo inserts instead.  I've heard some people say they won't use anything but a match to light their pipe but I think they're just fussy.  I'd say, use whatever makes pipe smoking the most enjoyable to you; I mean there's no point in getting too caught up in the minutia of the hobby, just find your preference. My Zippo only leaks when I overfill it, and you shouldn't puff the first instant you get a flame, let it burn for just half a second to get rid of the initial lighter fluid strong smell, I haven't ever noticed that the taste or smell were affected after the initial light.  Zippo fluid, I think is better than Rosinol and has less of a lighter fluid smell to it, it seems to burn cleaner.  It's a personal preference, but I like Zippos.  If Zippos arent for you, might I recommend these butane alternative; I think it's safe to say most people would agree that butane burns cleanly and leaves little smell or taste.

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/pipes-cigars-z-plus-pipe-lighter-lighters/1511534/#p-209961

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/xikar-pipeline-lighter-lighters/1439391/#p-98928

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/vertigo-puffer-lighter-lighters/1476532/

I haven't used the puffer lighter personally, but I have used other vertigo lighters and have been pleased with the price and usage.  I liked both the Z-Plus and the Xikar, I'm just not a fan of refilling butane though it really seems to last longer than a Zippo refill. Let us know what kind of lighter you settle on anyway, I'm curious to see what  your decision will be.

Pleasant piping to all! 
  • @IndyPiper, I also use a Zippo and never really noticed a change in the taste of Tobbaco blend. As many of us know the only problem with Zippo is overfilling. Doesn't feel real good on the skin when it drips. Learned the hard way many moons ago.
  • I use the pipe Zippo with the whole in the chimney.  I also use the premium fluid. At the initial strike of the lighter you can smell the fluid. I let it burn three seconds before I light my pipe and I don't taste it.  I never had a leaking zippo. I don't over fill it which is why. I fill it by counting six seconds as I squeeze the fluid in then it's full. This will last me a full week. If you somke outside, this is the best lighter by far. An American classic!
  • A tip for those using lighter fluid in your Zippo:
    Before filling, put a thin coat of petroleum jelly - like Vaseline - on the outside of the insert. This helps prevent leakage and evaporation of the fluid. 
  • edited January 2019
    @PappyJoe
    Thanks PappyJoe, I have not tried that.  I have an old "Brass No5" Japan lighter that seals much tighter than a Zippo, so the fluid does not evaporate very much.  The Zippo may last 7-10 days.  I have had this little Brass No5 (at times) last a month/month-and-a-half sitting on my dresser and it still lights.  The fuel reservoir is less than half the volume too.
  • @RockyMountainBriar - The last Zippo I had would last maybe 5 days before I started coating the insert. I finally switched it out for one of the Z-inserts which takes butane.
  • Thank you all for the replies!
  • @PappyJoe
    Yea, I switched out my Zippo innards with a Z-Torch insert in 2012.  It is still working fine....I don't use it to light my pipes...unless I don't have any other means available.  Interestingly, the vintage Beattie Jet Pipe Lighter I got is way cool the way it works, but I have torched the rim on a couple of pipes because of it.  The new Savinelli New Art I just bought was one of them :(
    It is very hard to control the flame, especially when tipping it.  I can control my Z-Torch much better, just point it straight down...I just have to pay close attention to keeping the torch flame centered in the bowl.  At least I know where the flame is going with the Z-Torch, the Beattie is a crap-shoot.
  • Ah, I miss my Beattie Jet Lighter, from my first pipe life - 1964 until mid/late 1980's when I stopped smoking altogether, not resuming until late summer -- what was it? -- 2016?
  • As an FYI, Zippo will replace the standard insert for a pipe lighter insert for free
  • @kraut569boat
    I don’t think they do that anymore.  I tried recently and was denied, more than once.
  • I use an Old Boy (has a pipe tool built in!), Zippo with pipe insert, and always have matched on hand.